Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

Like Tree423Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2017, 10:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

As a final touch to the TB change i just got back from getting the AC system filled. The guy said that the low pressure side is ok but that the high pressure side isn't, it's way to high. He said it could be a sensor not working correctly. After looking around a while he said it's because the fan doesn't run at all but the compressor seems to be switching on and off correctly. Any ideas?
Old 03 Nov 2017, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed9msi View Post
After looking around a while he said it's because the fan doesn't run at all but the compressor seems to be switching on and off correctly. Any ideas?
With a good scanner, not just a code reader, it can turn the fan on and you'll be able to check if the problem is the computer or the fan itself. Probably half the owners of PT Cruisers have had problems with part of the fan (internal brushes) burning out which causes a couple problems including overheating and A/C not working properly.

The compressor needs that fan to come on to keep it cool whenever it's in use be it the A/C or in the defrost mode.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 03 Nov 2017, 10:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
With a good scanner, not just a code reader, it can turn the fan on and you'll be able to check if the problem is the computer or the fan itself. Probably half the owners of PT Cruisers have had problems with part of the fan (internal brushes) burning out which causes a couple problems including overheating and A/C not working properly.

The compressor needs that fan to come on to keep it cool whenever it's in use be it the A/C or in the defrost mode.
Any tip on a good scanner?? Code reader i already have.
Old 03 Nov 2017, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed9msi View Post
Any tip on a good scanner?? Code reader i already have.
Not really. You wouldn't want to buy one just to test the fan. You can try one of the better auto stores and ask if they have the equipment to be able to run the test for the fan. Usually, it's the dealer or a decent mechanic's shop that would have it on hand.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 03 Nov 2017, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did a LOT to my PT today. Most of that will go in other threads. But I started the day with a wash.

My go-to place with the detail team has changed owners and now the detail is gone and the prices have gone way up for just the wash. In a small southern suburban town full of picky Republicans, I don't figure these new owners will be around long.

So instead, I tried out a new automatic wash with soft brushes.

This will not be my final solution. I'm not one of those guys that likes to spend all day washing and detailing their rides. But I do like it to look nice. And this was "handy" for today.

The brushes did seem to be very soft with a light touch as advertised. This is very similar to wash at the place that used to have the detail. And that's good.

Hey, looks like this place uses technology "endorsed" by some of the big auto-makers. But I'm not getting excited until I see that in writing.

The wash turned out pretty good. It was only $8.00 so I can't complain too much. I really miss my detail place. Hopefully, I will eventually find another one.

PS: After installing the new chrome trim (see link below), I then did a little wax on my Toy car.

Convertible beltline chrome

After that, I fixed her up all nice and cozy in a car cover. I love this cover with mirror sleeves. It makes my PT look like some kind of toy stuffed animal with little ears sticking out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vert03Nov2017_01.jpg (73.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Vert03Nov2017_02.jpg (94.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Vert03Nov2017_03.jpg (88.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Vert03Nov2017_04.jpg (69.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Vert03Nov2017_05.jpg (91.5 KB, 72 views)
PTpreacher likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Nov 2017 at 09:45 pm.
Old 03 Nov 2017, 08:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just call me cheapskate....a few months ago I installed a 6" lift kit on a buddies 99 Cherokee sport and for some reason I decided to keep the stock sway bar end links. I decided to make my own version of an upper solid motor mount and when I was going through a basket of misc. Stuff I came across the jeep end links, and the old rear bar links from my pt. Hmm... The jeep link is 1/2" round bar and the bushing was still in ok condition, and has an offset to it that looked like it would work. One of the pt rear bar bushings were still ok so I used it as well. I measured the center to center of an old upper mount and decided to use it as a migshift jig. The width and bolt hole sizes of the bushings turned out to be exactly what I needed. After a little bit of cutting, welding and grinding it came out pretty good. The paint is still a little bit tacky so will have to wait until tomorrow to install it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171103_192406.jpg (93.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171103_143620.jpg (86.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171103_143525.jpg (85.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171103_143418.jpg (88.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 04 Nov 2017, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yesterday evening when I put the car cover on my little toy PT, I notice a rip in it!

I know how it happened. In the trunk, the sharp edge on the bracket for the back seat release caught the cover at some point when I put the cover in there.

Luckily, the rip was very small. So today it was time to rob my sweetie's sewing kit and fix this big $200+ "PT comforter".

From the color thread that my sweetie has, the one that best matches the "gray" of this Covercraft Evolution car cover appears to be light blue.

I'm not the best seamstress on the planet, but I got her done just the same.

Now it's time for a wash. While I don't smell it, my wife says that my high-dollar PT cover stinks and has a musty smell. She's probably just smelling me, but who knows? So I'm now doing a little laundry work. Sewing, laundry? Never knew I could be so "domestic". But hey, it's never too late to change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vert04Nov2017_01.jpg (75.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Vert04Nov2017_02.jpg (72.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Vert04Nov2017_04.jpg (65.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Vert04Nov2017_05.jpg (79.9 KB, 54 views)
rcktpwrd and PGBCruiser like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Nov 2017 at 01:29 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 09:35 pm
Young Cruiser

I installed new front door speakers. The passenger voice coil was froze and would only play higher notes. I replaced the stock stereo that had several lights burned out with a newer Kenwood unit. Installed LED strips under the dash and front seats to light the footwells. And lastly, I replace the left lateral link on the rear suspension. Now I hear the power steering pump whining on startup. That's for another day.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

For me, it was replacing the plastic side trim on the drivers seat.

Then it was time for a little Diet Coke run. This should last me a day to two, maybe.

Old 05 Nov 2017, 02:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Put a hew Dorman radiator cooling fan on the Cruiser. Great fit, works great, all is well.