Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

Like Tree3883Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2019, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

^^^^ If it were me, I wouldn't drive it like that,man. But I don't like living on the edge anymore like when I was a young man. Your choice, but I just wouldn't trust it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 22 Apr 2019, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dropped the Panel Cruiser off at the Body Shop for replacemet of the front bumper & grill.
And, a little extra buffing.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 22 Apr 2019, 11:10 am
Young Cruiser

Managed to start my 1960 renault dauphine today after 20+ years of not being used. Made a lot more awkward than necessary by being a 6 volt system.

Sorry, put it in the wrong place

Last edited by Alfie1; 22 Apr 2019 at 11:11 am. Reason: placed in wrong thread.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^^ Why wait so long? I couldn't just let a car sit like that. I'm a true believer in if I'm not driving it, it doesn't belong in my yard.

Old 24 Apr 2019, 09:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman55 View Post
Well, actually a couple weekends ago, I swapped the snow tires for the summer tires on, The Ratmobile. Just for the heck of it, I put one of the snow tires on my Dodge Stratus to see if it would fit. (We may get rid of the Ratmobile.)

Anyway, it did fit, but the center hole was larger than the hub. I drove around a bit and it was fine.

My question, is: Is it safe to drive with the larger hole? Will the lug nuts be strong enough on their own?

Attachment 30258
They have hubcentric rings that will cure that problem, though somebody using such a rusty steelie won't likely pony up for them. I think general consensus is that you will be okay, but you should be extra-careful to incrementally tighten the nuts and make sure that they center and to check them periodically.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 24 Apr 2019, 10:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
^^^^ Why wait so long? I couldn't just let a car sit like that. I'm a true believer in if I'm not driving it, it doesn't belong in my yard.
Sorry Chuzz. But if you believe that, you can never be an Arkansan.

rockandroller and myckee like this.
Old 24 Apr 2019, 10:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Well, yesterday was the day to show my 250,000 km (160k mi) MTX 03 GT winter beater some love. It developed a misfire and was running really poorly. It started with one code, P0440 (NVLD sensor) and then became 3; P0456 (evap leak) and P0304 (misfire cyl 4). The NVLD on my car is sticky so for the past two years I have avoided replacement by connecting my scanner and activating the NVLD sensor and the evap solenoids several times to get them to work again. This usually is good for about 6 months. So I did that and was able to get rid of the pesky NVLD code.

The other codes needed more work and so I did the job that I have been lazy to do for more than 1 year; swapping the crappy aluminum intake with the beautiful plastic one, installing an 05 valve cover with the better PCV valve, installing 04 and up injectors, installing a 180F thermostat and finally installing the stage 1. I don't need a stage 1 in a rusty old car, but I didn't need to upgrade (in my opinion) the intake either. lol

I didn't realize that the new plugs I bought for my 300 will fit the PT, so I didn't have any new ones to put in. The Champion copper plugs were well worn and the gaps were huge, so I re-gapped them and put them back in hoping that the huge gap was causing the misfire. Nope! I then pulled the intake back off and swapped in a used coil from the junkyard. ( I have a supply of them I grab from low km cars from the yard whenever I find them) Problem solved! She purrs like a kitten now and really loves the Mopar Stage 1!

Next I have a Mopar blue blow off plate I found at the yard. That will go in tomorrow along with an oil change if it's not raining. Again I don't need the blow off plate, but why not? lol
Old 25 Apr 2019, 02:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Changed the oil and oil filter so now she's really happy.

Rick, I tried to PM you but it says you're banned so i couldn't send the message so i'm attaching it here.

I've been looking but can't find it on these pages. When i was changing the shock absorbers in the back the metal holder was rusted and i fixed it by welding it. I remember you found the item new but i can't remember where, do you?

Last edited by ed9msi; 25 Apr 2019 at 06:24 am.
Old 25 Apr 2019, 06:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry Chuzz. But if you believe that, you can never be an Arkansan.

Not to burst your bubble, Todd, but I didn't plan on trying!

Old 26 Apr 2019, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Enough of this smokin' Avalon stuff. I pulled out my PT so my daughter could go to work this afternoon and I notice that the knob that controls the AC vents was frozen.

The knob was a little hard to turn the last few times my sweetie and me took the PT out for a romantic drive. But this time, the knob was frozen. I started by checking the cable and the actual level on the vent damper. All were good and moved freely.

Turns out that the shaft for the knob was frozen in the housing. Even with pliers, I could barely get it to turn and lubrication did not help. Eventually I punched out the shaft to see what was going on.

It appears that the shaft was somewhat melted. Best I can figure, either the heat from the little incandescent grain of wheat bulbs or from undue resistance in the circuit board had caused the shaft to melt.

There was not time today to make a salvage yard run for another set of AC controls. Instead I just fixed it the "hillbilly" way for now. Ya' just reach down on the passenger side near your feet and adjust the vents until you are comfortable.

Can't beat that with a stick! At least you can't until I can make a salvage yard run.

Good part is that my daughter is back on the road. Of course, she's been properly threatened about taken my PT through large bodies of water.

rcktpwrd likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Apr 2019 at 08:52 am.

Tags
air filter