PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

 
Like Tree3477Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1901 (permalink)  
Old 05 Oct 2019, 08:14 pm
TaupeCruiser's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaupeCruiser View Post
I decided to go for it! I received the Gates timing belt kit and Gates accessory belt kit today and the right side motor mount is coming in on Thursday. Since I can't drive the car to get the A/C discharged, I'm going to give it a go without taking the A/C lines off. Hopefully they won't cause me too much more pain. I'd like to also make my life easier by using air tools. I have a 1/2" impact and 3/8" ratchet that has been sitting unused in my toolbox for over 25 years, but no air compressor. I'm trying to justify the expense of buying one with all the money I'm saving doing the job myself.
Started the job today.

I didn't remove the a/c lines and I had a bear of a time getting the upper torque strut out and then the engine mounting bracket.

I'm at the point now where I'm trying to get the cam gears off. I made a makeshift holding tool out of a piece of 1x1 lumber and lag bolts that I had laying around. I thought I was golden, but the wood ended up snapping. I think I'm just going to see if I can get the real tool from the local part store tomorrow.

The old water pump appears to be leaking now. I wasn't having any problems with leaks as far as I know, so I wonder if something happened when I was wrestling the engine bracket out? Hopefully I won't have any issues with the new one.

I replaced the right side mount. I neglected to mark the existing mount, so I had to spend an extra amount of time trying to make sure that the holes were all concentric like the service manual says.

Lastly, I'll be needing to order a few more parts. Both upper and lower torque struts are shot and the inner timing belt cover was snapped in two. Hopefully that's it.
rockandroller likes this.
__________________

2001 PT Cruiser | Touring Edition | 5 Speed Manual | Born On The 4th Of July, 2000
Reply With Quote
  #1902 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2019, 08:13 am
ptprice's Avatar
Dedicated Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ormond Beach, Fl. 32174
Posts: 2,208
Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Removed a scratch from a hedge row branch on SOOO BIG's passenger door. It was completely my fault.

I invariably back into a parking space as a defensively it gives me more complete control of the moment. No unknowns like an unseen driver backing out of a slot or being ramming into you as you back out of your parking slot.

All my favorite spots in the lot of Golds Gym were taken so I went to plan B and found a spot with a car on only one side. If necessary I'd use the famous door noodles to protect from the door swing of the next car.

While backing in I heard a disconcerting screeching noise emanating from the right side of SOOO BIG. I re-positioned and inspected the drivers side. Ironically, I'd gotten too far over in my zeal to protect SOOO BIG from a door ding. I found a condemning dark brown five inch hedge branch scrape on the front passenger door.

All I had to address it was a soft cloth, a small bottle of hand cleaner and a spray can of tire protector. Not the best choices. I rubbed on the mark till the dark color was gone but an underlying scratch was still visible. Nothing more I could do. By this time, with all the futzing, one of my preferred spots open up so I moved SOOO BIG.

Later I looked for the scratch but the sun was shinning on that side. It wasn't visible so I relegating it to unknown.

The next day though, with that side in shadow, the scratch reappeared.

Now here's where it gets a happy ending. I took SOOO Big to my friend Aubrey's shop, showed him the infinitesimal sctatch that had me ballistic and with a spot of compound he rubbed on it till it completely disappeared.

SOOO BIG's a 14 year old PT but to date not one dent or mark!
Not bad for a garage kept PT but SOOO BIG is a parking lot PT.


Happy PTin, ptprice


door1.jpg
__________________
SOOO BIG 2005 PT CRUISER, LIMITED EDITION, SIGNATURE SERIES
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 09 Oct 2019 at 02:04 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #1903 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2019, 09:03 am
VsandFords's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gladewater, Texas
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaupeCruiser View Post
Started the job today.

I didn't remove the a/c lines and I had a bear of a time getting the upper torque strut out and then the engine mounting bracket.

I'm at the point now where I'm trying to get the cam gears off. I made a makeshift holding tool out of a piece of 1x1 lumber and lag bolts that I had laying around. I thought I was golden, but the wood ended up snapping. I think I'm just going to see if I can get the real tool from the local part store tomorrow.

The old water pump appears to be leaking now. I wasn't having any problems with leaks as far as I know, so I wonder if something happened when I was wrestling the engine bracket out? Hopefully I won't have any issues with the new one.

I replaced the right side mount. I neglected to mark the existing mount, so I had to spend an extra amount of time trying to make sure that the holes were all concentric like the service manual says.

Lastly, I'll be needing to order a few more parts. Both upper and lower torque struts are shot and the inner timing belt cover was snapped in two. Hopefully that's it.
This is how I removed the cam gears. A large C clamp and part of the old belt.

__________________
Life is just a bowl of jello, full of fruits and nuts.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!


Reply With Quote
  #1904 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2019, 03:23 pm
loomex's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 221
Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Well, Christine was possessed. The locks kept clicking. It seemed to only happen here recently when it rains. After listening to the car and reading a few "crazy lock" post, I determined (hopefully) that the culprit is the rear lock. I took the panel off and disconnected the wires going to just the key cylinder.
__________________
"Christine", a 2002 (manufacture date 8/2001) base model, 2.4L 5-speed.
USAF 83-92, IRR 92-94, NV ANG 94-98, IRR 98-00
Reply With Quote
  #1905 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2019, 11:59 pm
TaupeCruiser's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
This is how I removed the cam gears. A large C clamp and part of the old belt.

Nice. I’m going to see it my only C—Clamp is large enough to fit. I did end up getting them off today. 3rd time (and 3rd makeshift tool) was a charm. I drilled a 3/4” hole through a 2x4 for the socket to go through and a smaller hole for a carriage bolt. It worked, but I could hear the wood cracking/crushing as I was working on it with a breaker bar. I think I will need something a little more robust when the time comes to put it back together.

I found that the lower timing cover is cracked too. One more part for the list. For some reason the lower cover for the 2001 doesn’t seem to be as readily available as later models. Not sure what’s changed.
__________________

2001 PT Cruiser | Touring Edition | 5 Speed Manual | Born On The 4th Of July, 2000
Reply With Quote
  #1906 (permalink)  
Old 07 Oct 2019, 07:16 am
rcktpwrd's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,804
Cool Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaupeCruiser View Post
Nice. I’m going to see it my only C—Clamp is large enough to fit. I did end up getting them off today. 3rd time (and 3rd makeshift tool) was a charm. I drilled a 3/4” hole through a 2x4 for the socket to go through and a smaller hole for a carriage bolt. It worked, but I could hear the wood cracking/crushing as I was working on it with a breaker bar. I think I will need something a little more robust when the time comes to put it back together.

I found that the lower timing cover is cracked too. One more part for the list. For some reason the lower cover for the 2001 doesn’t seem to be as readily available as later models. Not sure what’s changed.
There was a change to the timing belt tensioner pulley and also the cover assembly. You can use the newer style covers and pulley.

For the cam gears I used a length of flat bar and a couple bolts. Drilled holes at the space that fit the inside of the gear and used the two bolts to hold the gear. Basically it's a bar with two pins sticking out, worked pretty well and was cheap to make...
__________________
Joel

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Reply With Quote
  #1907 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2019, 10:24 pm
TaupeCruiser's Avatar
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 74
Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
There was a change to the timing belt tensioner pulley and also the cover assembly. You can use the newer style covers and pulley.

For the cam gears I used a length of flat bar and a couple bolts. Drilled holes at the space that fit the inside of the gear and used the two bolts to hold the gear. Basically it's a bar with two pins sticking out, worked pretty well and was cheap to make...
I have already ordered the old style inner cover, but I probably should have ordered the new style to maximize flexibility with tensioners. I think I’m going to order the new style outer covers. They appear to be compatible and are much cheaper and seem much more readily available. Plus it looks like they come as a set as opposed to individual for the old style, so more bang for the buck.
__________________

2001 PT Cruiser | Touring Edition | 5 Speed Manual | Born On The 4th Of July, 2000
Reply With Quote
  #1908 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2019, 01:44 am
imickey503's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pdx
Posts: 17
Send a message via AIM to imickey503 Send a message via Yahoo to imickey503
Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Its been a REALLY long time since I posted. Even longer since I worked on my PT. I just started doing things to it last month. The other day I took it for a drive and understood WHY I stopped working on it. There seems to always be some kind of problem with it. I just put in a new fan from the Junkyard, and it seem to either also be bad? OR.. Its the Computers..

So, now, I am going to see if I have a bad low speed fan. I'm going to jump the relay, and see if I can get it to turn on. Also, see if I can do the same with the high speed fan.

I think next month, I'm just going to order a new fan, new Radiator, and go to the junk yard and get every single nut and bolt I can get to replace some that are on my PT.

I have so many small issues. MANY of them caused by people doing shoddy jobs at installing parts. And that would be Real Shops. I have grown not to trust any shops these days.

TOday I Washed the car, got it nice and clean, and then will start doing the interior soon.

Last week I ordered some LED lights for the PT, and they are bright. WAY WAY bright. I'm thinking about going back to incandescents in the front dome cluster as BOY they are damn near BLINDING now!

I may just install a small resistor and a capacitor and a diode to the LED's that I Purchased so I can keep the fade out effect true of the original Incandescent bulbs.

RIght now its just seeing if I can fix the FAN issue.

I checked all the relays today, and all worked fine. I even checked the fuses.

GOOD tip about the Rear door hatch causing issues. I'm going to see if I can disconnect that, and see if I get my locks back so they wont do the random lock and unlock routine.

I'm hoping I can get rid of all those stupid electrical issues with my PT and FInally after almost 19 years of owning it, i MIGHT start caring about it again.

It's been such a Problem child since new.. But the shops have had PLENTY to help with that as well.


As soon as I get all these other issues worked out, I'm going to be concentrating on the stereo and lighting that I have always wanted to do.
rockandroller and loomex like this.
__________________
2001 PT cruiser.
49,000 miles
Custom Dealer installed aftermarket sunroof
worst car I have ever owned from a reliability standpoint.
Canadian spec car imported to the states.
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.
Reply With Quote
  #1909 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2019, 07:02 am
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 4,812
Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Before replacing fans on a MAYBE, check your harness plug and connector for them. These things have been known to melt due to location and cause fans to lose connection and stop working. Even if the connector looks okay, check the pins in it. Sometimes one or two will retract just enough to lose contact.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #1910 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2019, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,329
Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Before replacing fans on a MAYBE, check your harness plug and connector for them. These things have been known to melt due to location and cause fans to lose connection and stop working. Even if the connector looks okay, check the pins in it. Sometimes one or two will retract just enough to lose contact.
Good suggestions above.

I would also apply 12 volts to the low and speed fan that you are using for the Pt Cruiser.

If the Pt Cruiser does not overheat at high speeds I would suggest not replace the radiator at this time..
rockandroller likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Oct 2019 at 09:07 am.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Today's PT art Chromenut General PT Cruiser Discussions 7 24 Apr 2014 06:45 pm
Today I won one for the PT's :-D pluminator General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 16 Apr 2013 07:34 am
Got my S1 today! boosta Stage Turbo Kits 18 28 Dec 2004 07:36 pm
Newpaper USA today, talk live at 2:00pm ET today KingKole02 PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 0 27 Feb 2004 03:44 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors