Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

Like Tree3842Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2019, 04:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Installed new wiper switch...pretty easy once I found the little screw that's almost impossible to see.
rockandroller and dougs like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Oct 2019, 08:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Not today, but earlier this week. I was taking our Bernese Mountain dog to the vet to get her teeth cleaned. Was finally a cool morning so had the back windows down for her. Was stopped at a traffic light waiting to turn left when I notice a huge pile of something that looks like concrete spilled in the road next to me. About 10 car went thru it slowly and as the light turned yellow a turd in a truck flew thru the substance and flung it all over my car and the other cars waiting to turn. Remember I said the back windows were down.... Well I ended up getting a bunch of this stuff in my car. Was I pissed, heck yeah, but I was worried more about my dog. Thank God she was not looking out the window when this happened or she would have got a face/mouth full of this stuff.

To make matters worse, I got to the vet and her apt was not that day, but the next day. Ran home and hosed this stuff off then went to the intersection to see if a LEO was there in hopes that they knew who dumped this stuff on the road. Road crew was cleansing up the mess, but the guy told me they have no idea who it was, but the substance was a gypsum slurry or something on the order of liquid dry wall.

Went back home and all said and done it took about 4 hours to clean the exterior and interior, but I am sure I will be finding this stuff for months to come. Heck some was in the dash vents!

Hope the pictures work

https://imgur.com/lwqHhqp
https://imgur.com/lUukqd3
https://imgur.com/q7M0rCy
dougs likes this.

Last edited by cfm56doc; 27 Oct 2019 at 08:09 pm.
Old 27 Oct 2019, 08:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Mission Accomplished!

I buttoned up the timing belt job today and the PT is running smooth as silk. All told, I probably have about 30 hours into this job. Having power tools would have definitely shaved some time off. I didn't remove the A/C lines or exhaust, but I had to remove to the intake to get clearance to jack it up. The cast bracket probably gave me the most grief, but the rest went fairly smoothly. Just time and patience.

Here is the list of parts that were replaced with this job.
  • Gates Timing Belt Kit with the 1st Design Tensioner
  • Gates Accessory Belt Kit w/tensioner
  • Dorman Inner Timing Cover (originally sent to me without the hardware)
  • Mopar Outer, Lower Timing Cover (they sent me two of these for some reason??)
  • Westar Right Motor Mount & new Mopar bolt
  • DEA/Marmon Lower Torque Strut
  • DEA/Marmon Upper Torque Strut

In the process, I noticed that the two body/strut ground cables were both broken (again) and the oil filter adapter gasket appears to be leaking as well as the valve cover gasket. These will be a job for another day.

2001 PT Cruiser | Touring Edition | 5 Speed Manual | Born On The 4th Of July, 2000
Old 28 Oct 2019, 07:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Angry Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56doc View Post
Not today, but earlier this week. I was taking our Bernese Mountain dog to the vet to get her teeth cleaned. Was finally a cool morning so had the back windows down for her. Was stopped at a traffic light waiting to turn left when I notice a huge pile of something that looks like concrete spilled in the road next to me. About 10 car went thru it slowly and as the light turned yellow a turd in a truck flew thru the substance and flung it all over my car and the other cars waiting to turn. Remember I said the back windows were down.... Well I ended up getting a bunch of this stuff in my car. Was I pissed, heck yeah, but I was worried more about my dog. Thank God she was not looking out the window when this happened or she would have got a face/mouth full of this stuff.

To make matters worse, I got to the vet and her apt was not that day, but the next day. Ran home and hosed this stuff off then went to the intersection to see if a LEO was there in hopes that they knew who dumped this stuff on the road. Road crew was cleansing up the mess, but the guy told me they have no idea who it was, but the substance was a gypsum slurry or something on the order of liquid dry wall.

Went back home and all said and done it took about 4 hours to clean the exterior and interior, but I am sure I will be finding this stuff for months to come. Heck some was in the dash vents!

Hope the pictures work

https://imgur.com/lwqHhqp
https://imgur.com/lUukqd3
https://imgur.com/q7M0rCy
WOW that really sucks!

Glad the dog wasn't hurt by it either.

A long clean up process, but good to hear you got most all of it cleaned up.
cfm56doc likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 28 Oct 2019, 08:04 am
Young Cruiser

Drove mine to work for the first time since the engine blew about six months ago. Ran flawlessly, not nearly as quick as the 2009 300C I borrowed from my dad, but kept up with the 80 MPH traffic without too much trouble.. Glad to have it back!!!!!
Fk5, rockandroller and dougs like this.
2004 N/A auto. Touring Edition (Died 2016 resurrected Nov 2017) bought for $100 Oct 2017 w/122k mi, died March 2019 143K mi, engine replaced with 2004 w/ 71K in October 2019. Added RBQ 6-disc changer w/Sirius. Replaced TB,WP, thermostat and gasket, front bearings w/one hub, ceramic pads w/new rotors, one brake caliper w/bracket, and lower control arm. More changes/repairs as the weather allows .
1999 300M 196k mi (now her daily driver)
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan
Old 28 Oct 2019, 11:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Drove up to Buck-ees in Katy to fill up with ethanol-free gas...
rockandroller likes this.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 28 Oct 2019, 03:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Installed a new MultiFunction Switch.
NOT...the cause of my instrument cluster and HVAC light problem.
imickey503 likes this.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 29 Oct 2019 at 12:05 pm.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 03:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
Drove up to Buck-ees in Katy to fill up with ethanol-free gas...
Wow, you still have ethanol-free gas in the US. Lucky you, in Sweden they mix a minimum of 5% ethanol in all gas and they have been planning on raising it to 10% which will be a problem for us classic car people.
dougs likes this.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 10:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed9msi View Post
Wow, you still have ethanol-free gas in the US. Lucky you, in Sweden they mix a minimum of 5% ethanol in all gas and they have been planning on raising it to 10% which will be a problem for us classic car people.
Yes.... there are still places in the US where you can find it, but it is certainly not available at every gas station. Especially in the People's Democratic Republic of California.... impossible!
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
Yes.... there are still places in the US where you can find it, but it is certainly not available at every gas station. Especially in the People's Democratic Republic of California.... impossible!
In Oklahoma and Texas, even the big name stations have had to start selling 100% gas, just to be competitive!

A station that I use sells ONLY all gas!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Tags
air filter