Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

Like Tree3834Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2020, 03:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Put a dab of loctite on it this time

2004 PTGT 135Kmiles
Old 29 Jan 2020, 03:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to imickey503 Send a message via Yahoo to imickey503

Getting ready to do some Major Audio work and replace the last Halogen headlight bulb with a Quad LED I got from Ebay. Tested out the other side for over 3 months now and is working GREAT and VERY BRIGHT.

I'm about to start installing and redoing all my Hack job wiring of the past so I HAD headlights. I'm also taking out the LED front 3157 bulbs as I don't like them at all. I still have not found a LED 3157 I really feel is a real upgrade to the stock Incandescent bulbs that work with the clear housing of the PT. All of them look a bit goofy.

I'm swapping out the Infinity Reference 5x7 for some Ford JBL units as they will sound better. Have a better tweeter, and should drop right in.

And I HATE how my OEM radio sounds. I think I have the RBZ unit. And I have a CD Changer unit installed in my volvo that I never really drive, so going to do the swap out soon. It only has a Tape player in it. But... Has the CD Changer option. That lets me use the Aux input.

I did find some info on that here on a JEEP forum. Love the JEEP guys.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Stereo system wiring diagrams

...Jeep Stuff...: Aux In / Bluetooth for Factory Radio or RB1 - JEEP WJ 99-04 Grand Cherokee

I have been thinking about the RB-1 for a longtime. But its sort of out of date these days. And to be honest, there is so much MORE you can do with just a cheap aftermarket radio these days. But again, I HATE THE LOOK and the aesthetics just don't match or do it for me.

Its time to upgrade the sound. Well overdue. Only took me 19 years to do it. :-)
worst car I have ever owned from a reliability standpoint.
Canadian spec car imported to the states.
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 04:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Maybe drill a hole in front of the nut and put a cotter pin in it. That will prevent any nut from falling off.
I put 2 nuts on each that i tightened together so that solved the problem.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 01:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Got a P0303 (#3 cyl. miss) a while back so yesterday I swapped the injector and plug wire with cyl. 4. Then got a P0304 (#4 cyl. miss). Bought a $10 junkyard injector and plug wire. Fixed.
My02RedRide, Fk5 and chuzz like this.
Old 04 Feb 2020, 11:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

Had the oil changed.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 05 Feb 2020, 09:29 am
Senior Cruiser

I drove it to work for the first time in a couple of weeks. I have been driving the new (old) Jeep Commander that I bought for my wife. Yes, that thing's gotta Hemi. It also has Quadra-Drive II, leather and rear seat DVD for my son. I probably should have held out for a newer one because now I need to add bluetooth and a backup camera.

I got a kick out of opening the first page of this thread and seeing that I yelled at my dad to check the coolant because of the weeping heater core. Then I felt a little guilty because that was 2017 and not only didn't I change the heater core, but I didn't even check the coolant before I fired it up and drove to work!
imickey503 likes this.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 02:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

SMALL break of Dry weather. WORK TIME!

Got a LOT of stuff done today on my PT. I'm one of those people that pretty much just put things off to the LAST minutes.

So First thing? USA MADE WHEEL STUDS!
And these are by Dorman.

Next a Quick overview of the install. My Nick Name is Lucas. I am the Prince of Darkness. LONG running Joke on Chyrlserminivan.net.

So, I started by jacking up the car. Found out one of my jacks leaks oil, and no longer works. It some old one. No problems. I will fix it some other day. Its Made in America, so ... Yea.. I would rather fix it. So put it aside for now.

Got out my Wonderful Harbor Freight Floor Jack. I REALLY love this thing.

But I ALWAYS want to CAUTION ALL OF YOU.
USE CAR STANDS. And A TIRE.
BE SAFE Men. No reason to get hurt, or your CAR hurt.

I made a Modification to mine YEARS ago. I used some Really Big Zip Ties so that I can carry them off, and never worry about the middle part ever falling out. (whatever that is called)
I have the Orange ones.

My Front end has been BAD for Years.. Ever since I replaced the CV aXles YEARS ago. So .. I never bothered to go back for an Alignment.
I think I go through tires like every few months till I see Cords.. So... This time.. I said. I better take care of it. I tired a few months ago. But then??
Yea. I can't Adjust anything! Low and Behold. I guess Both of my struts are missing that small plastic part. So I guess I need some Camber bolts.

I GOt my Jack out after I put the car up on Jack stands, and got my Tools.
My
Earthquake Impact gun and my Rebuilt Harbor Freight Air 125 PSi Compressor.

I got some other tires for it a While ago. I liked the smaller Orange rubber ones. Its still a Bit Shaky, I would not call it Stable. But Boy is it Quiet now.

Used these tires.

One of the old ones Broke, and this was a GREAT time to upgrade a while back.
It really makes it even more quiet.

About just after a Year, This Company on EBAY makes some GREAT reed valves for these. I've been on it or the last 3 years. I don't use it Much, but just when I need it. The Company sent me the replacement parts. That Lady was REALLY COOL! Got my Reed Valve a she even put a SMILEY face on it!
Man I miss Companies like that Of course! MADE IN THE USA!

I was also doing something stupid a while back.. So.. I broke the Fan. So thankfully, I was able to MAKE one FIT I got from Amazon. It had a smaller hole diameter. But some Heat made that fit. So wonderful.

Also, I made a DIY Muffler that works a CHARM! It REALLY makes it VERY quiet compared to other compresores.

You start with this:

Then you Fill your Stock muffler Filter with Silkolene. Or oil.
THen you get the Lid, then sandwich it on the other side of the filter.
Fill it up with Foam or that Old Pillow case that smells from the time your Old Renter use to rent the room. Take out the Yimmy Dacron, or FOam crap that its in there or just use some Paper towels inside of there. I just threw in some Paper towels.

Put holes on the bottom of the cup. Melt them in like with a SOlder Iron or something. Now Wrap that Lid part in DUct tape. (I never did, so it falls off easy, making so It never gets damaged if hit) and its REALLY REALLY QUIET!

Much more then it was stock.

I use mine so infrequently, I really should just make a FOam Cage around the top of it.

That reminds me. I really need to get the 240V Power in the back of the house done. Something for another day.

After got the wheels off, and on Jack Stands, I then did the wheel stud. I also did the alignment that was WAY off. I MEAN WAY OFF!

I also topped of the engine oil I'm going to change...MAYBE next month...

And then I used a LONG aluminum LED light bar strip to make the wheels true and straight.

Since I did not have anyway to adjust Camber, What I did was to Take the Jack and put it on the outer studs of the wheel. Just enough pressure to angle it up.
Then I got the 2 Strut Camber Bolts tight in that position. SO its on an Upward angle. I really need to buy some Camber bolts. And that is my next order on amazon or ebay.

From there, just a pair of pliers and a Box wrench, (think that's what its called)
And got them as true as I can. I really should use My DIY Laser thing I made. But.. I did not feel like getting it out.

So after that. Checked all the fluids. MINUS the GEAR BOX. I REALLY need to do that this week. For ONCE I was out of Oil. I used Redline in it YEARS ago. And was the VERY first thing I did. Today? I'll just use whatever Gear box oil they have on the shelf. I'm Open to Recommendations.

Radiator is doing well.
Engine oil is topped up. But Dark and Dirty.
And I need to change the Power steering fluid. Its Shot. It's been Whining since i got it. I think there is a FIlter in the reservoir. Not sure. Maybe you know?

I also ripped out some Electronic Ebay Box that is a DRL timer that turns on your lights when it senses the engine being over 13V. It does not work. Oh well.

So Got it all buttoned up. Took it for a Drive. WOW!.
Still The steering wheel is not PERFECT like right in the middle. But the drive is wonderful.

I plan to get some New tires soon. Or a cheap used set already mounted. New tires cost as much as Used one IMO if you get them from Walmart. And they ship them to your door for free. NICE!

I am about ready to do some MAJOR car audio upgrades. I don't want to mess with the stock deck. So I'm looking into what i can do.

I also need to switch over the LED Headlight I have on the other side. They are every bit as bright as the STOCK bulbs. So I plan to just throw the other LED headlight in there.

The LED Turn Signal.. I HATE IT! I'm going to just find another Amber bulb to put in there. I have YET to find an LED that works as well as the stock bulb in the stock housing.

Still have to do some fixing to the STOCK Headlamps and wires on the driver side. I would like to be able to fix my lights once and for all. So I may tackle that this next week.

Monday? Maybe some new tires.
And. Then to install some stuff for the Amp and Speakers.

Got everything put away Minus the tools, and BOY do I love OVERALLS!
Not ONCE did ANYONE see my ass crack!
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 03:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Also a But ago, Found a QUICK way to change the Pulley.
And Found the LAST GUY..
Put in the wrong pulley..
Never trust a SHOP.... NEVER.

And the size difference.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 08:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by imickey503 View Post
Today? I'll just use whatever Gear box oil they have on the shelf. I'm Open to Recommendations.
First verify the type of oil used in the manual transmission! According to the Service manual G288 and T350 manual transaxles require the use of Mopar ATF+4 (automatic transmission Fluid)
Old 21 Feb 2020, 05:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The manual says ATF+4 trans fluid. I have used that in my t350 and have recently used Syncro-mesh. I see no diff.....

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver

Tags
air filter