Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

Like Tree3885Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2020, 12:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My02RedRide View Post
The manual says ATF+4 trans fluid. I have used that in my t350 and have recently used Syncro-mesh. I see no diff.....
The point is, Imickey, it's not the off the shelf heavy gear oil.
Old 25 Feb 2020, 08:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

I got my PT a companion.

My PT is an '01 silver Limited (it has most of the factory offered goodies) with a 5-speed manual transmission. I'm the original owner and it has 146k miles as a daily driver.

It's new companion is an '01 red Limited (the factory goodies, including heated seats) with an automatic transmission. It has 112k miles and seems to be in fundamentally good shape, but does need some TLC to get it in proper working order.

So, that's my project as spring and summer approach.
Off we go.....
Old 26 Feb 2020, 11:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dusted SOOO BIG yesterday instead of washing. I
used a PT DUSTER. Not quite a Plymouth Duster.

PTDuster2.jpg

PTDuster.jpg

CleanSOOOBIG.jpg

pd.jpg
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 26 Feb 2020 at 09:31 pm.
Old 02 Mar 2020, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I attached an additional hand cut SOOO BIG emblem on the right lower edge of the rear bumper cover. It's designed in a horizontal configuration unlike the original emblem as I wanted it to fit to the width of the narrow two inch area above the back up light.
The name SOOO BIG comes from the same name I'd given a VW Baja Bug with an awesome high preformance air cooled engine. It could run circles around most any competition. Those big V8 off road honkers bogged down while my light weight SOOO BIG just passed 'em by, sprayin' 'em with an obligatory mud bath.

NEWSOOOBIG2.jpg

NEWSOOOBIG7.jpg

NEWSOOOBIG6.jpg

SOOOBIG-emblem-2.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 03 Mar 2020 at 08:10 am.
Old 04 Mar 2020, 07:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had an adventure! Got a notification that a Jeep Commander was just dropped at the yard. Checked the pictures and sure enough, it has the nav radio with backup camera that I have been looking for. Call the office that I am taking some time, change into rags, load the tools in the PT and I am off.

Yard is about 20 minutes away. About 5 miles in, I go to grab third gear and the shifter is just wobbling in my hand. Of course this happens as I am entering a new road. Hazards on, coast around the ramp and pull over on the shoulder. Have to chock the wheel because my parking brake has been MIA since I did the rear. Start diagnosing under the hood because I have a sketchy bushing there because the set of booger bushings I bought didn't have the big one that I need. They are fine. Go back inside, pull the console and sure enough, passenger side is off. Stuff it back on and the car shifts fine.

Go to restart. No dice. Alternator belt has been squealing and I guess keeping the hazards on, door open and my cell charging did in the battery. Look in back for the charge box, of course I left it in my wife's car. Call my wife to bring it to me. An hour later, she makes the 5 minute drive. To be fair, she had to load our 2 year old in. Used the extra time to replace the bushing with the spare booger in the glove box. Took forever to get it started. Couldn't get it to catch until I boosted it with the Jeep and got the negative cable fully on. Guess it wasn't seating and using the "negative booster terminal" (screw by the hood latch) was not cutting it.

After all that, I got so aggravated that I decided to roll the dice and still hit the yard. Got the radio (I think it is a REN) and trim. Couldn't get the decklid open to get the camera, so I pulled the quadradive activator motor. I will have to go back for the camera and nav antenna. Going to NY this weekend, so I hope they are still there the Saturday after. I guess I have to bring my battery pack in to work the power locks to open the rear deck. PT started fine and drove fine on the way home, but kept dinging. No visible warning lights. Sounded like it thinks the car is in reverse. Very odd. I have to check if any of my warning lights are out.

Last edited by Fk5; 05 Mar 2020 at 08:55 am.
Old 04 Mar 2020, 08:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Doing 90,000 mile service + some other maintenance not due later, but due to age I am doing them now, its a 2005 GT turbo. Its the wife unit's car. Evidently there is a turbo and a HO turbo, some parts are different. Like the PCV valve, a few auto parts did not show both types and they are NOT interchangeable.

My biggest problem is a lot of the hoses are now rotted and trying to remove them just cracks them. Do I just leave them or replace them? The rubber in at least one engine mount is completely gone.

Although its recommended to check the manual tranny fluid level every oil change, I suspect no one that has serviced this car has (including me). I could not find where the two ports (fill/check and drain) were. Since this is suppose to be done often you'd think it would be in the maintenance section of the service manual, but its not. No luck searching the internet. The dealership just said to bring it in. I finally found such in the service manual, chapter 27. The fill/check port is very hard to get to, the P/S lines are in the way, trying to replace the plug I must have dropped it 20 times trying to hold it in place and twist to start the threads.

Next, I accidentlly left something on and drained the battery. Power windows went berzerk! Dealer wanted $125 to flash the memory. Found here, disconnect the battery for five minutes will reset it. That worked! (disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds did not not, I had tried that).

Next up tomorrow is the timing belt. Service manual said to drain the AC and disconnect the AC lines at the block. My mechanic said he'd do that, and replace the AC charge when I am done. On closer inspection i don't think that is necessary, the lines are not in the way.
Old 04 Mar 2020, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillman5 View Post
Doing 90,000 mile service + some other maintenance not due later, but due to age I am doing them now, its a 2005 GT turbo. Its the wife unit's car. Evidently there is a turbo and a HO turbo, some parts are different. Like the PCV valve, a few auto parts did not show both types and they are NOT interchangeable.

My biggest problem is a lot of the hoses are now rotted and trying to remove them just cracks them. Do I just leave them or replace them? The rubber in at least one engine mount is completely gone.

Although its recommended to check the manual tranny fluid level every oil change, I suspect no one that has serviced this car has (including me). I could not find where the two ports (fill/check and drain) were. Since this is suppose to be done often you'd think it would be in the maintenance section of the service manual, but its not. No luck searching the internet. The dealership just said to bring it in. I finally found such in the service manual, chapter 27. The fill/check port is very hard to get to, the P/S lines are in the way, trying to replace the plug I must have dropped it 20 times trying to hold it in place and twist to start the threads.

Next, I accidentlly left something on and drained the battery. Power windows went berzerk! Dealer wanted $125 to flash the memory. Found here, disconnect the battery for five minutes will reset it. That worked! (disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds did not not, I had tried that).

Next up tomorrow is the timing belt. Service manual said to drain the AC and disconnect the AC lines at the block. My mechanic said he'd do that, and replace the AC charge when I am done. On closer inspection i don't think that is necessary, the lines are not in the way.
I learned this the hard way, whenever reconnecting AC fittings, replace the seals. For want of a cheap seal replacement you'll invariably end up with a pressure leak.
Old 05 Mar 2020, 05:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillman5 View Post
Disconnecting the AC lines is not mandatory, just easier to work with them out of the way. Just take care when pulling the bracket out/putting it in. You might also want to have a metal spatula handy to get the center mount into the wheel well wall and a telescoping mirror to watch from above as you set the TB tensioner.

Good luck!
Old 10 Mar 2020, 08:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Stuck at home in good weather after ear surgery...

So, starting the install of my DIY Morette Headlights!
(And, I did actually wait until this spring to do it!)

See my PT Project thread!

SOONERCRUISER's Panel Van Conversion

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 12 Mar 2020, 07:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Finished up the install of the DIY Morette headlight assemblies (passenger side) today!

Turned out pretty nice!
And, so far, all lights in working order.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Tags
air filter