Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

Like Tree3883Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2020, 03:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

My wife who's a nurse called from work that her PT:s enginelamp lit up and that the car was loosing power and running like s**t. Since I've been in the garage the whole afternoon and evening I had drunk to much beer to drive in case she needed to be towed so I was happy she made it home. At 10.30 PM when she arrived i did the keydance and what do you know P0344 came up. I changed the camangle sensor only 1.5 year ago so i was a little surprised. Early next morning i ordered a new one (original mopar this time) and at 3.15PM I called her, if she wanted me to pick her up in her car since she took the bus that day. I was a bit impressed with myself since the downtime for her car was only about 16 hours. The funny part was that her car was the only one working at the time since my miata is taken out of traffic for the summer and my Alfa Romeo spider was sitting in the garage with a broken brake master cylinder.
Old 29 May 2020, 11:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You should keep that sensor and try swapping it out again during some downtime. It's not a complicated thing, just a magnetic pickup that signals the ECU when a magnet passes it. No moving parts and just the connector that could oxidize. The typical failure time is the changing of the seasons (hot/cold or dry/wet).

Personally, I'd swap it back and if it worked, run the car with it and keep the new one in the glove compartment just in case but that would be only if I drove it. In my case it was being used by my son and needed to be reliable so I didn't have that luxury probably like with you and your wife's car.
Old 29 May 2020, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Today, oil change and coolant flush... dye added to oil to try to find out why the engine is sweating oil ( small oil leak developed in the last month or so)

Monday its going in for brake work (pads, some or all calipers, maybe rotors)... last time I asked somebody to do a brake fluid flush they BROKE OFF the bleeder tabs on one or more of my calipers - apparently they had never heard of penetrating oil...

When it's in there for the brake work they will check the oil leak, to see if it's coming from anywhere trivial ( cam position sensor, etc) or if its something like a crank seal that's gonna need the engine pulled. If so, then I will have the timing belt/water pump/idler done too. The official mileage for timing belt (etc) isnt for another 30K Miles (50K km) or so, but my mechanic has already confirmed that it looks like its time for a couple of new engine mounts (again). Last engine mounts were about five years ago...
Old 29 May 2020, 09:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Tonight, after work, I changed the oil and filter (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Purolator Boss filter), rotated the tires and replaced the broken dash cover!! It was absolutely destroyed, I found one at a junkyard. It's a bit deformed from the sun, but it's not broken. The corners don't *quite* sit right, but c'est la vie.

Between the oil change, motor mounts and brand new timing system, the engine is so quiet and smooth... It's never ever run this good in the time I've owned it.
Old 02 Jun 2020, 06:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
You should keep that sensor and try swapping it out again during some downtime. It's not a complicated thing, just a magnetic pickup that signals the ECU when a magnet passes it. No moving parts and just the connector that could oxidize. The typical failure time is the changing of the seasons (hot/cold or dry/wet).

Personally, I'd swap it back and if it worked, run the car with it and keep the new one in the glove compartment just in case but that would be only if I drove it. In my case it was being used by my son and needed to be reliable so I didn't have that luxury probably like with you and your wife's car.
Thanks, I'll try that, might even try the original one that i changed 1.5 years ago since that one only gave an error once in a while. I was also surprised since it's really a simple thing but then read about all broken ones on this forum. Connector is like new, no oxide.
Old 03 Jun 2020, 12:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Today- went to the bank and filled her up.
Lately it seems the A/C is acting weird, like the compressor feels like its surging/jumping feel while i am sitting. ...
WELL!! sitting at the red light (near the house) Out of the corner of my eye...I see
a quick spray mist out of my right front corner??? I quickly looked at my temp..normal halfway....did not see any steam and quickly made it into the neighborhood and home.
Popped the hood and saw nothing..radiator looked OK.
Think it may be freon from the a/c hoses...but i cannot realy see as its tight against the fender well. Not sure what it might me????

Update: Well i checked this afternoon with my dad...did not see any leaks or anything. Cranked it up & turned A/C on and nothing out of the normal.
Go figure??? I might of rollled on top a water bottle. It the unknowing part. I seldom drive it, just around town. So, if soemthing happens, it wont be that bad.
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 03 Jun 2020 at 05:27 pm.
Old 07 Jun 2020, 06:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Spent most of the day cleaning the PT. I hadn't washed it in about a year! So I spent a couple hours washing it. Got deep into the door jambs and under the hood and hatch areas to clean out lots of built up pollen and general dirt. Probably got 95% of it... Then I used the clay bar on the whole car. After that I broke out the D/A and some Meguiars 205 and did a mild buffing. Then using the D/A I applied Meguiars M2116.

I only took a couple pics of the black window trim to show how 10 seconds with the D/A and the mild compound makes them shine like new!
before:

after:

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 Jun 2020, 05:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Took a couple pics today of the car

Carl48 likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 Jun 2020, 11:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yesterday did a quick wax job with some spray liquid stuff. Looks OK for now but really needs the annual clay bar treatment.

Today did some rust treatment. The PT has seen 13 Michigan winters and the underside looks like it. The cars around here usually rot out before they wear out. Found a product called Fluid Film at the auto parts store. It comes in a spray can and contains a non-solvent penetrating lubricant that soaks into the rust and supposedly prevents further corrosion. Have never heard of or used this product before today so time will tell how well it works.
Old 09 Jun 2020, 09:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Spent most of the day cleaning the PT. I hadn't washed it in about a year! So I spent a couple hours washing it. Got deep into the door jambs and under the hood and hatch areas to clean out lots of built up pollen and general dirt. Probably got 95% of it... Then I used the clay bar on the whole car. After that I broke out the D/A and some Meguiars 205 and did a mild buffing. Then using the D/A I applied Meguiars M2116.

I only took a couple pics of the black window trim to show how 10 seconds with the D/A and the mild compound makes them shine like new!
before:

Excuse my brain fart here--- What is the D/A you mention?? Is it a buffer or cleaning stuff? I really like how it clean up, so i wanna do this.

I'm guessing you meant this:
Edit:

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 09 Jun 2020 at 09:27 am.

Tags
air filter