Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

Like Tree3883Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2020, 06:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Two jobs today, one on my '05 GT and the other on my former '05 Touring.

Job One

GT (Brenda) was riding very poorly as of late and I concluded the driver's front strut had locked up. It simply was not compressing over bumps and extending over dips. Makes for a very odd feeling.

I'd recently installed new Sensen struts and hadn't had any trouble with this brand. But that's exactly what it did - locked up.

New quick strut and I'm much happier.

Job Two

Touring's new owner (2+ years now) called and said the car wasn't starting. When I arrived, he'd already watched a Youtube video that was most helpful. The ignition switch actuator pin had failed.

A little fiddly, but got him back on the road...glad it broke in his garage.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 10:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Drove it around the house and gave her a BATH!!!!!
rockandroller likes this.
Old 18 Jul 2020, 07:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Pulled into the driveway yesterday with my 08 PT after running some errands and listened to the radio for a moment with the engine still running and noticed that the radiator cooling fan was not kicking on like it normally would.

Anyway, managed to locate the connector on the harness going directly to the fan. Took awhile to separate the connector... it seems that as these plastic connectors age with heat the plastic becomes stiff and it can be really difficult to press the tab enough to unlock the connector. The connector is a 3 pin type with a black lead in the center and a red lead on either side. The wires are rather heavy, about #10. Figured that the black center wire was ground and the reds were LO and HI. Hooked -12 volts to the black and +12 volts alternately to the red wires. The fan revved up real good on the one and nothing on the other. Figured the LO speed was inop. Checked with an ohmmeter and got continuity from black to red on the good side and read open black to the other red to further confirm my thoughts.

So, ordered a new fan module and picked it up late yesterday. It came complete with wiring and relays. Things were looking good until getting into removing the fan module this morning.

This PT has seen 13 Michigan winters and has rusted appropriately. The fan module is held to the radiator by six 6x1.0 mm bolts with a 10 mm hex head with a T-30 torx in the center. The bolts screw into extruded clip nuts mounted on the radiator. Well, the hex heads are now mostly round as well as the torx. The clip nuts are badly rusted.
Was able to grab what was left of the bolts heads with a spline style socket and along with some prayer, patience, and penetrant got 5 of the 6 out. The clip nut on the last one disintegrated causing the bolt to just spin. Had to cut off the head with a cutoff wheel in the rotary tool.

Went to the hardware store and got all new fasteners. Removed the front grille and radiator top support bracket. Disconnected the top radiator hose. Was able to pull the radiator forward enough to allow lifting the fan module straight up and out. Did not have to remove the battery and battery tray. Did not drain the coolant, just removed the radiator cap and with a turkey baster sucked out about a quart or so.

Hopefully the new installation will go smoothly. Will probably get to it early next week... stay tuned.
rockandroller and dougs like this.

Last edited by Carl48; 18 Jul 2020 at 07:15 pm.
Old 18 Jul 2020, 09:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, not so much as what I did, but what I found in the junkyard today. I didn't know they made a factory installed subwoofer for the second gen until today. I found one in the yard and the build sheet confirms it is a Boston Acoustics system with a 368 watt amp under the front seat. Even the panel has a factory incorporated grill instead of the cubby hole. Cool! Well I guess I am going back there to get the complete harness and amp.

I didn't take any pictures but here is a picture from Crutchfield's website of exactly what I found:

Old 20 Jul 2020, 08:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well, got back on the radiator fan module job this morning. Job went fairly smooth and was back on the road before lunchtime. Low speed fan now coming on as it should.
Took apart the old fan motor just for kicks and sure enough, the low speed brush pair are worn away to almost nothing. Just over 90k miles on the PT. The one brush was so worn that it wasn't making contact with the commutator any longer. OTOH, the high speed brushes looked almost brand new. Going to stop by the starter and generator repair place and see if they can provide me with a new set of brushes. Wouldn't take too much to replace them and put everything back together and have a spare radiator fan module in stock. Just me… can't stand to throw anything out.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 01:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

So, stopped by the generator repair shop yesterday and showed the guy the radiator fan brush assembly. Asked him if he had some brushes that would fit. He went into the parts room and came out with some brushes that were larger but could be made to work... gave me several for just a couple bucks.

Anyway, spent some time in the garage this morning with a fine hacksaw blade and some sandpaper and trimmed the brushes to fit. Soldered in the new brushes. Cleaned everything up and painted the motor and put it all back together. Tested OK.

btw... interestingly, have no idea how long the low speed fan had been failed before noticing it last week... there was no indication of overheat on the temp gauge, it read normal.
Old 25 Jul 2020, 07:09 pm
Young Cruiser

I had to jump start it. Since weve been working from home, the cars barely leave the garage. Its been a month since I drove it last.
rockandroller and dougs like this.

2001 PT Cruiser | Touring Edition | 5 Speed Manual | Born On The 4th Of July, 2000
Old 04 Aug 2020, 04:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Day 2 of the timing belt thrash, had to work between the rain drops today so it slowed things down. The old belt had just over 90K miles on it and didn't look too bad. It almost fell off by itself when the tensioner was loosened so it was probably stretched. Bent the old belt back on itself and noticed some hairline cracks starting to appear at some of the cogs. Anyway, got the old belt off and the new one on. Got to double check the timing tomorrow, then button things back up.

btw... changed out the center motor mount, didn't look too bad but now was the time to do it... came right out of the body with enough clearance once the tensioner pulley had been removed
Old 05 Aug 2020, 03:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

So for the past month it's been banging in the rear. Turning the radio up did no good. I had a feeling it was the Watts linkage. Since I had no desire to crawl on my back and fix it in the driveway, I took it to a shop. One Bell Crank and one control and $280 later, it's fixed. The other control arm was in really good shape.
Carl48 likes this.
Old 08 Aug 2020, 01:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Almost traded 'ol betsy' in today, but she will be getting the axe soon,
as i bought/upgraded to a newer vehicle.
- so i be seling her myself.
loomex likes this.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 28 Sep 2020 at 02:03 pm.

Tags
air filter