Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 pt cruiser with 172k and the stock timing belt?? Just picked it up today

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2017, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 pt cruiser with 172k and the stock timing belt?? Just picked it up today

So I picked up a 04 pt cruiser today runs and drives good no check engine lights.

Trans shifts hard every once in awhile but feels good.

The owner said the timing belt has never been done and he bought the car new.

It has 172k miles im wondering how it's made it 72k over the suggested change interval.

I'm going to order a kit and replace it myself in a few weeks. The car isn't tagged or insured yet so I'm not driving it.
Made it home 60 miles and didn't snap.

It doesn't look like it has been apart under the hood.

I got it for 650$

Has heat and a.c. blows cold.
I feel like I scored on this one.

Paint is faded but I'm good Nick.
Needs a taillight and a little body work.
wingman55 and Carnut like this.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 03:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 04 pt cruiser with 172k and the stock timing belt?? Just picked it up today

I'd say that was a good find also, and I'd like to see that belt if it does have 172 thousand on it!
Old 14 Oct 2017, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 04 pt cruiser with 172k and the stock timing belt?? Just picked it up today

I'm sure your gunna gonna see it when I replace it
the3dgm likes this.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What we know from both Chrysler guidance and many online reports is that the probability of timing belt failure goes up on the original timing belt after 100,000 miles. We can say that because reports of belts braking around or after 100,000 mile are fairly frequent. But we can't say what the odds are making it all the way to 172,000 miles. For me, I'd say you are living on borrowed time. But that's just my opinion.

If doing the job yourself, read up on this forum. There several good threads on methods DIY folks can use to make this job easier. Be sure to replace all the recommended parts at the same time and consider replacing the center motor mount too.

For the tail light, Amazon has great prices with free shipping. Consider getting both tail light assemblies because the new one will be shinier than the old one. They dull just like the head lights but it just doesn't show up as much until comparing to a new one.

And congratulations on your great purchase!
dougs likes this.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm going to order parts later this month.

For the turn signal assembly I might go to a junkyard because I don't want to buy new parts when it still needs body work.

I'm not sure if the mounts where compromised for the housing so all get a used one to put in till it gets body worked on that corner.

Im going to purchase a timing belt kit with all the parts that need replaced ie tensioner belt idler ECT.

I might even go to a junk yard and get a cam gear to cut up to make my own can holding tool.

The engine mount will probably get done to while I'm in there. But if it's not in my budget. It may have to wait a month or two.

Right now I'm focused on giving it a deep cleaning inside and out it needs some cutting and buffing outside.

The inside needs a good cleaning and scrub down and a good vacuum job.

It's a project that will eventually be a daily driver

All upload pics in a minute
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

https://imgur.com/a/4727Z
Old 14 Oct 2017, 05:35 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr42ndstblvd View Post
I'm going to order parts later this month.

For the turn signal assembly I might go to a junkyard because I don't want to buy new parts when it still needs body work.

I'm not sure if the mounts where compromised for the housing so all get a used one to put in till it gets body worked on that corner.

Im going to purchase a timing belt kit with all the parts that need replaced ie tensioner belt idler ECT.

I might even go to a junk yard and get a cam gear to cut up to make my own can holding tool.

The engine mount will probably get done to while I'm in there. But if it's not in my budget. It may have to wait a month or two.

Right now I'm focused on giving it a deep cleaning inside and out it needs some cutting and buffing outside.

The inside needs a good cleaning and scrub down and a good vacuum job.

It's a project that will eventually be a daily driver

All upload pics in a minute
Welcome to the forum

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal

The center motor mount is relatively inexpensive, especially if you get an after-market one and get one that includes a new bolt. You don't want to get a used one from a salvage yard as it will be just as worn, if not more, than the one in your PT, as it has a rubber insert the same as the torque struts that eventually wears out. You will have the area torn apart while doing the timing belt work, and IMO it would be foolish not to replace it at that time. To replace it later, per the manual: remove engine. Do you really want to do that just to replace a < $50 part when you're doing the initial work?

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Oct 2017 at 08:11 pm.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 05:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well that looks a heck of a lot better than you described it and you drove it 60 miles with out it dying. . . yep, you did get a good deal!
wingman55 likes this.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It needs a good cut and buff.

The guy was making t shirts in his garage and his door was wide open and the paint/dyes where blowing right into the pt....

It has little white dots all over the front end haha
Old 14 Oct 2017, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update after looking at the motor I noticed there's a missing bolt on the top timing cover leading me to assume that somebody has been in there at that belt.