Advertisements
2001 Cranks but wont start P1193

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2017, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Cranks but wont start P1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The 2.4 diagram shows the same thing on 8W-30-15. All I see is an open ASD circuit on E3. No short to ground.
Thanks for the sanity check. It looks like i need to find out where that wire is shorted ... however, the crappy part is that it could be anywhere along of the many distribution points it has
Old 16 Oct 2017, 01:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTarb24 View Post
Thanks for the sanity check. It looks like i need to find out where that wire is shorted ... however, the crappy part is that it could be anywhere along of the many distribution points it has
Let me check further on that. Are you saying that E3 is shorted to ground with your meter? Fuse #13 would be blown if there was a short to ground on E3.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 16 Oct 2017 at 01:04 am.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 02:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Let me check further on that. Are you saying that E3 is shorted to ground with your meter? Fuse #13 would be blown if there was a short to ground on E3.
For the ASD relay, E3 is actually pinless on my fuse tray. This is the middle leg on the triple side of the relay. There's a hole, but no metal connector inside nor any wire under the tray.

E1 (dark green/orange) - GROUND
E2 (dark blue/yellow) - signal from PCM
E3 (no wire)
E4 (red/white) - Hot - fused to 13
E5 (red/white) - Hot - fused to 13

--

I just double-checked fuse13 with a multimeter and it was alright. I also went ahead and checked all the other fuses in the engine bay. Though, even if the fuse were blown, i don't think that'd change it from being a hot line to being a ground.

Here's a quick vid to show some of the testing.

Old 16 Oct 2017, 02:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the crankshaft sensor, connector and the wires going to it.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 03:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, i'm still fighting with this. Here's the status update:

new parts installed:
  • Downstream O2 sensor - my previous ASD ground short was actually just a low ohm resistance to ground. Traced to O2 sensor.. replaced it, then realized i still had the problem. Turns out this must be expected due to the O2 sensor being on the circuit.
  • Oil pressure sensor - I had found some oil in the PCM connector. Cleaned it with paper towel and copious amounts of electronics cleaner. Waited 1 day then reconnected. Replaced Oil sensor (wasn't fun).
  • Crankshaft sensor - Replaced simply as a last resort

Verified at crank:
  • Coilpack receives 12v on center line (ASD circuit)
  • Crankshaft signal wire backprobed at PCM. voltage alternates from 5v to .5v
  • Camshaft signal wire backprobed at PCM. voltage alternates from 5v to .5v. Half as often as Crankshaft
  • Disconnected coilpack connector and tested both pulse wires. Neither receives ground pulse. Backprobed at PCM and get same result of no pulse.

I've pretty much run out of ideas of things to check. Anyone have any thoughts/guesses on why I wouldn't be getting ground pulse signals to the coilpack even though I have crank and cam signals? I sure wish the computer would just throw me a code hint.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you getting a DTC when you remove the wire connector going to the Camshaft sensor?
Old 04 Nov 2017, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Are you getting a DTC when you remove the wire connector going to the Camshaft sensor?
Just gave it a whirl and got P0340. Interestingly, I gave it a good 10s crank to see if it'd work once it gave up on the cam sensor and it actually almost started. I presume at this point that it only failed to start because the cylinders are likely flooded from all the testing. I pulled the 2 accessible plugs(both plugs smelled of gas) to let them air out a bit.

Pulled the cam sensor to have a look at the magnet. Sadly, the magnet is entirely encased in plastic so i can't really tell if it's cracked.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTarb24 View Post
Just gave it a whirl and got P0340. Interestingly, I gave it a good 10s crank to see if it'd work once it gave up on the cam sensor and it actually almost started. I presume at this point that it only failed to start because the cylinders are likely flooded from all the testing. I pulled the 2 accessible plugs(both plugs smelled of gas) to let them air out a bit.

Pulled the cam sensor to have a look at the magnet. Sadly, the magnet is entirely encased in plastic so i can't really tell if it's cracked.
I would suggest with the camshaft sensor disconnected, verify you have spark on all four cylinders.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I would suggest with the camshaft sensor disconnected, verify you have spark on all four cylinders.
If you have spark but it doesn't start I would suggest you do an engine compression check. See if you are getting enough compression to fire.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All 4 had spark when testing with an inline tester.

Compression came in at 197, 203, 187, 152. However, the battery was sounding noticeably weaker by the last cylinder, so i think the 150 may be a false reading. I put the charger back on so i can test again in the morning.

Each plug was wet and smelled of gas (asd was pulled for comp test). I cleaned/scuffed each one and took the opportunity to reduce the gap from .050 to .040 since i noticed you guys talking of a tsb regarding it.

I also cleaned the contact areas of the 3 ground points i found with files and sandpaper to make the as clean as can be. 1 from engine to Pass fender. 1 from batt to Drv fender. 1 with a cluster of 4/5 wires near the batt.

I really appreciate your advice, Steve. This thing is stumping me pretty good.