Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Cranks but wont start P1193

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2017, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Cranks but wont start P1193

So with the wire connector off the camshaft sensor you get spark on all four cylinders. With the camshaft sensor on you have no spark on all four cylinders?
Old 05 Nov 2017, 03:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
So with the wire connector off the camshaft sensor you get spark on all four cylinders. With the camshaft sensor on you have no spark on all four cylinders?
Yup, that's correct. I just gave it another test. It sparks after 10s with the sensor unplugged but doesn't spark at all during a 15s pull with the cam sensor connected.

The car should still run even if the cam sensor is disconnected, right? I have compression, so i assume that means the timing is at least close enough to have the car run. Think it's worth pulling the cover to check?
Old 05 Nov 2017, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTarb24 View Post
Yup, that's correct. I just gave it another test. It sparks after 10s with the sensor unplugged but doesn't spark at all during a 15s pull with the cam sensor connected.

The car should still run even if the cam sensor is disconnected, right? I have compression, so i assume that means the timing is at least close enough to have the car run. Think it's worth pulling the cover to check?
Have you checked the fuel pressure? Did you pull the plugs again after letting them dry out?
Old 05 Nov 2017, 05:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I didn't pull the plugs with the intention of drying out the cylinder. I assumed that the compression test with the asd relay pulled would blow the leftover fuel out the exhaust. Bad assumption?

I don't own a fuel pressure gauge. Any thoughts on which kit would be decent to buy and cover the majority of vehicles? I normally buy OTC equipment but the reviews on amazon aren't too great for their fuel gauges.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 01:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Any other thoughts on why i'd get spark without the cam sensor plugged in, but not get spark with it connected?
Old 06 Nov 2017, 01:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Any other thoughts on why i'd get spark without the cam sensor plugged in, but not get spark with it connected?
Your ignition timing is off and when the PCM sees the ignition timing is off it shuts down the voltage going to the coils. By disconnecting the camshaft sensor the PCM does not see that the ignition timing is off and provides voltage to the coil.

With the camshaft sensor off you should be able to start it by cranking it up to 60 seconds as it will be a hard start.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 01:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I didn't pull the plugs with the intention of drying out the cylinder. I assumed that the compression test with the asd relay pulled would blow the leftover fuel out the exhaust. Bad assumption?

I don't own a fuel pressure gauge. Any thoughts on which kit would be decent to buy and cover the majority of vehicles? I normally buy OTC equipment but the reviews on amazon aren't too great for their fuel gauges.
I just got a cheap one at Harbor Freight but it depends on how much you want to spend on one.

Can you hear the fuel pump running when you first turn on the ignition switch with the camshaft sensor off?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Nov 2017 at 02:43 am.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 04:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

>>Your ignition timing is off and when the PCM sees the ignition timing is off it shuts down the voltage going to the coils.

Thanks. I'll pull the timing cover tomorrow to see if the belt jumped. If not, i suppose i ought to pull the valve cover to check if one of the cams sheared a sprocket pin. Though.. one concern here is that the ASD circuit is never deenergized.. I merely don't have the ground signals from the PCM. I woulda thought if the computer were purposely disabling the car it would do it via the auto-shutdown relay. Though, this is my first experience with troubleshooting that circuit.

I do hear the fuel pump run for 1s when turning on the car with & without the cam sensor. I'll hold off on the fuel pressure test until after the timing check. Though, i'm curious.. how do you like the harbor freight model? I don't mind spending a good chunk, but the troubling thing is it's hard to tell what cars the kits support. I don't want to spend 150-200 and have it not work on my other cars or on future cars. I sure wish auto makers would just choose a standard and stick with it.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 02:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yup, sure enough.. it was the timing belt. The cams were still aligned properly with each other, but they were no longer at TDC of the crank. That small hunk of the old center engine mount bolt must have fallen onto the timing belt and went between it and the crank causing the crank to skip a couple teeth. I was really hoping it was going to be something that would be easier to fix.

I was only able to get it about 1/2 done tonight. I got it disassembled up to the point where the harmonic balancer is now stopping me.. sadly, the wife is asleep so i can't use the impact gun to get the gear pullers to work. Hopefully i'll be able to get it done tomorrow and try it out.

Thanks a lot for all your tips and guidance, Steve. Greatly appreciated!