Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By oldthom
  • 1 Post By PTRick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2017, 07:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Right Turn Signal Turns Dome Light ON

OK. This one is weird. Last night as I was leaving my street I put my right turn signal on and the dome light came on. I thought I had brushed something to cause it, but I was unable to validate that. When the turn signal went off the dome light went off. The condition continued as I drove to my destination. Once parked I left the car running and tried the left turn signal-no dome light. I tried the right turn signal- dome light . Turned the car off and waited a minute. Turned the key on and the problem repeated. Finished my shopping (about an hour) and when I started the car the condition repeated. It has continued now after giving the car an over night rest, so is apparently here to stay until I take action. PT is a 2006 Limited Edition with Turbo. Also my wife , who normally drives the car, said the dash lights were not as bright as they normally are when the headlights are turned on. I can't verify that, but she is pretty observant and usually correct. Any Ideas?
Old 18 Oct 2017, 08:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Right Turn Signal Turns Dome Light ON

On the MFS there is a section to turn dash lights low med, high & full. If it's on full all the time, the dash light will always be bright, if it's on high, they auto dim when headlight are on, & brighten when off. It is on the left side of the MFS.

As for the dome light & headlight problem, the MFS could be going bad...the left side.
2006-2010 the MFS is in 2 parts.

IMG_20160811_130623.jpg
the3dgm likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 18 Oct 2017 at 08:54 am. Reason: Added Pic
Old 18 Oct 2017, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I changed the right side MFS a couple of years ago when the windshield wipers would not turn off. Do these Multi-function switches have a bad reputation or history of malfunctioning on the 2006 PTs? I know the PT electrical and electronic systems are squirrelly to start with.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 07:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Not really, the problem is getting a new one that works.
I replaced mine, it lasted about 9 months, got another that lasted 2 weeks...it's been about a year now without any problems...the headlight side.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Oct 2017, 09:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

I bought a eBay MFS that lasted a week or so before I lost my fog lights. I finally did what has been said on this forum so many times, "if it's electronic go with MOPAR". It was a bit over a hundred dollars I think but it has been no problem since I put it in.
CREWZIN likes this.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 04:13 pm
Young Cruiser

sounds like a weak ground on the right turn signal circuit which can feed through the ground circuit of the dome light and light the light up
Old 22 Oct 2017, 01:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I changed out the left hand multi-switch and all is fine. The unit was Duracell from Auto Zone. I guess we will see how long it lasts.
LionPT likes this.