PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Driver's seat side shield keeps breaking

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2017, 04:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Driver's seat side shield keeps breaking

Anyone else have problems with their driver's seat side shield (holds power seat switch) breaking all the time? I'm on my 3rd. The mounting lugs keep break from sliding out of the seat. Also, anyone know where I can get replacement for under $100?
Old 18 Oct 2017, 04:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Driver's seat side shield keeps breaking

Lots of people. The threads are kinda hard to find. Check this one out driver automatic seat panal, ripped off! need to fix it

More
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...m+seat+plastic
Old 18 Oct 2017, 04:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Rob..too bad the back of mine split. Love the idea of screwing it on, but I'm afraid my wife will forget to be mindfully of it and end up causing more damage.
rob302 likes this.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 05:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Think I actually found the cause...it's not a design flaw, but actually poor onstallation. On the side shield just forward of the switch is actually a pocket. On the seat itself, there is a metal rod, just forward of the switch pocket. The rod, shaped like an upside-down u, slides into the pocket. That's what gives it the strength to handle ur weight, when the cushion compresses. I'll take pictures if anyone is interested. Well at least I know this will be the las 100 bucks I gottake spend on that damn shield.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 03:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I finished breaking mine today. It had been broken in the back since I bought it and the seat would, on occasion, raise itself to max height so I'd hit my head on the door jam trying to get in. Yesterday the second clip broke as I was getting out of the car. Today, I was on my way to the VA Hospital and just grabbed it and broke the last clip, made sure the switch was plugged in and set it down next to the seat. The good news is I now have a fully functional power seat!!
Old 19 Oct 2017, 03:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: Driver's seat side shield keeps breaking

One of the former members of the forum. drilled some holes and used metal screws and
some of the upholstery washers to reattach them and it looked good. You might try it.
Ptpreacher
the3dgm likes this.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 06:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

All my clips finally broke. When I pulled it off to back drill some holes, I noticed a "pocket" in the panel. I pulled some of the seat covering back and found a round bar protruding. Then the light bulb went off. I ended up putting some velcro on the back of the panel, reattached, the panel, with the rod in the pocket and it is better than it ever was. I can now slide in and out and the panel doesn't move a bit. I'm betting some these panels weren't installed right from the factory or or weren't reattached right after being took off. I've seen the rod before but I had no clue what the he'll it's purpose was.
the3dgm likes this.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 06:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171019_192650.jpg (91.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20171019_192631.jpg (95.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 19 Oct 2017, 06:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

PTpreacher: I seen that thread while searching the forums here. Thanks for the reminder. That guy used 5/8 or 3/4 inch self tapping screws, you can tell by the heads, and I don't have any that small. . . yet!

Grasshopper77: I'll look at the seat tomorrow to see about your solution. By the way new panels are $102.39 on e-bay. JFYI
Old 19 Oct 2017, 06:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK that rod is under the cloth on mine, no way it could have been attached to the seat panel. I'll check it out tomorrow to see how it would attach. Thanks for the tip!