PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 PT Cruiser timing belt

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2017, 10:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 PT Cruiser timing belt

I know this may have been answered here, but just need to check something. My wife's PT Cruiser timing belt broke and we have been told that it's an interference motor and that it's pointless to replace the timing belt. As far as I know the engine is a 2.4L. Is this engine an interference engine or not, and if not is there any change that the car may have engine damage? Also the guy at the shop told us that the bottom part of the engine is turning but the top part was not, is this a sign of damage?

Thanks
Howard Robinson
Old 20 Oct 2017, 10:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 PT Cruiser timing belt

Non interference. And since the timing belt is what connects the upper end to the lower end, yeah, that's a pretty good indicator that the belt is broken.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 10:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

We need more information before we can recommend anything.

How many miles do you have on the Pt Cruiser?

Has the head gasket been replaced?

Has the timing belt been replaced before?
Old 21 Oct 2017, 07:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

You need to find another shop to go to, Howard. Those azzholes OBVIOUSLY don't know what they're talking about. Non-interference engine. Timing belt job is NOT cheap, though. Anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500 depending on where you live and the type of shop you go to.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 09:17 am
Regular Cruiser

The timing belt is something you can do yourself with a lot of patience and some good tools. I was able to do it using the online Motor City Mechanic site and everything I could read from this forum. All total after buying the kit and all the tools I did not have it was about $675.00. About half of what you would pay a shop. Plus the satisfaction of knowing the job was well done.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldthom View Post
The timing belt is something you can do yourself with a lot of patience and some good tools. I was able to do it using the online Motor City Mechanic site and everything I could read from this forum. All total after buying the kit and all the tools I did not have it was about $675.00. About half of what you would pay a shop. Plus the satisfaction of knowing the job was well done.
You must have had no tools at all lol Run from this guy. Ask around to see what it will cost and what is included. If they can't tell you. They don't know enough to do the job.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Oct 2017, 10:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Well the complete kit with water pump and seals, a new half inch impact wrench, three motor mounts all gates belts, plus a set of half inch sockets for the impact wrench. Maybe it was a little less than that amount.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 10:08 am
Regular Cruiser

I agree with those of the "do it yourself" crowd. There are many individual steps involved and a lot of time required for the first timer. I was one of those and I "got 'er done." There are a lot of posts on this forum about this process and a whole bunch of info from a lot of people who have done it themselves. You can do this if you have the time and patience, and you'll learn a whole lot in the process.

RVC

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 21 Oct 2017, 10:09 am
Regular Cruiser

I guess the impact wrench was the most cost, it's battery instead of air.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 02:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Before suggesting you tackle this job yourself, it's prudent to ask how much mechanical experience/ambition you have. The reason this is an expensive job is because it's a time consuming and challenging task, mostly because of the limited access. You'll be working in a narrow, cramped area with poor visibility. In order to access various parts and fasteners, you'll have to raise and lower the engine with a hydraulic jack, while taking care not to crash the plastic connector on the air conditioning compressor. And you'll be fishing oddly-shaped parts in and out of the engine bay, which can be fun if you're one of those people who like puzzles but frustrating if you just want to get the damn job done.

While you've got things apart, you'll want to change out the crankshaft and camshaft seals, along with the water pump and drive belts and upper and lower and middle engine mounts. And then there's the challenge of getting everything lined up when you install the timing belt itself, with the added complication of getting the belt over the tensioner. It's not an impossible job, but it isn't something to tackle if the extent of your mechanical experience is changing a set of brake shoes.

As far as tools go, you'll definitely need an impact wrench. You'll want a Chrysler-specific pulley puller (I bought one on Amazon after breaking a "universal" one from Harbor Freight). You'll need a big ol' T-55 driver, as well as the usual complement of 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" drive metric sockets, ratchets, extensions, breaker bars, combination wrenches, one of those mirror-on-a-stick inspection tools, a powerful flashlight, and a fair bit of patience. The valve springs make the cams come to rest in a not <quite> top dead center position, so you'll want to either buy a tool that locks the cams into the proper position, or do something half-assed like drilling and tapping a couple of holes into a piece of a bed frame and threading in a couple of long 5/16" bolts and using that to rotate the cams (by inserting the bolts between the spokes on the cam sprockets) in order to position the cams while installing the cam belt (guess which one I did...).

None of this is out of the ordinary for an experienced mechanic. But it's stuff you need to know in order to make an informed decision whether you want to tackle the job yourself.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170722_142100.jpg (87.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170722_190410.jpg (93.5 KB, 15 views)