Advertisements
Liftgate latch for 2008 pt cruiser.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sinbad
  • 2 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2017, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Liftgate latch for 2008 pt cruiser.

Hello. Can anyone tell me if the latch on the liftgate that has no key lock on it for my 2008 pt cruiser can be replaced with a latch that has the key lock? Mine has not worked for some time now and I want to replace it but I'd rather replace it with one with a key lock so that there is another option for opening. Thanks. Laura
Old 23 Oct 2017, 11:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Liftgate latch for 2008 pt cruiser.

Yes.

Take the inside cover off the liftback (the big piece of plastic) it pulls away with poppers, but go easy so you don't split it, they can be a bit brittle.

The barrel latch itself is held in by a "fork" type spring - no point in trying to describe it, once you see it it's obvious - just slide it out using a pliers or a big screwdriver, then drop the link from the latch (again, you'll see how it works when you see it)

If the tailgate has been replaced it might not be the same as your key, but what has probably happened is it's gummed / corroded up, and will work if you give it a soak in something like WD40 overnight, and after that try working the key in and out of it and you might find that your latch then works it OK.

If you need to buy a replacement, you'll probably need to go to a dealer to get one that fits your key, or get one off eBay and carry a dedicated key for the liftback?

If it's been replaced and doesn't fit the key that came with the car, you can sometimes get the barrel to work by filing the plates of the lock - but thats another subject...
wingman55 likes this.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Yes.

Take the inside cover off the liftback (the big piece of plastic) it pulls away with poppers, but go easy so you don't split it, they can be a bit brittle.

The barrel latch itself is held in by a "fork" type spring - no point in trying to describe it, once you see it it's obvious - just slide it out using a pliers or a big screwdriver, then drop the link from the latch (again, you'll see how it works when you see it)

If the tailgate has been replaced it might not be the same as your key, but what has probably happened is it's gummed / corroded up, and will work if you give it a soak in something like WD40 overnight, and after that try working the key in and out of it and you might find that your latch then works it OK.

If you need to buy a replacement, you'll probably need to go to a dealer to get one that fits your key, or get one off eBay and carry a dedicated key for the liftback?

If it's been replaced and doesn't fit the key that came with the car, you can sometimes get the barrel to work by filing the plates of the lock - but thats another subject...
Mine does not have a key. It is one of those that you pinch the underside to open. It hasn't worked for a while. I want to replace it with one that actually has a key lock so that I have another way of getting it opened. I need to know if that is doable. But thanks for the reply.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 12:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurafhl View Post
Mine does not have a key. It is one of those that you pinch the underside to open. It hasn't worked for a while. I want to replace it with one that actually has a key lock so that I have another way of getting it opened. I need to know if that is doable. But thanks for the reply.
Welcome to the forum

The latch assembly inside the door is the same part number as what is on my PT, but my PT has the lock cylinder also on the rear hatch, something that was eliminated on later PT's.

To add a lock cylinder you would have to punch or drill a hole in the rear hatch and add the lock cylinder and rod then going to the latch mechanism.

Rather than replacing the entire outside emblem assembly, which would contain a new switch, you could also had a replacement switch to replace the touch-pad switch that has most likely failed on your PT.

There are several threads on this forum on how to do this mod. I did this mod to my PT when the touch-pad switch failed:

When you get a chance, please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread.
rsrocket1 and JDK52 like this.