PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another reason to do your own service!

Like Tree16Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2017, 05:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Another reason to do your own service!

A co-worker just told me his insurance rates went up $500. When he called the insurance company, they told him "it's because you're driving your car more now, you were driving it < 8,000 miles per year, this year you drove over 12,000 miles".

He said "how do you know that?" They said they checked Carfax. He said "how did Carfax get that information". They said the oil change company reported it when they changed your oil.

I did not know service companies were allowed to disclose (or sell) that information, but I'm sure it's in the fine print when you sign the bill of sale. Chances are that if an oil change company is selling this information to Carfax, other places are doing the same.

I won't disclose the name of the insurance company but the initials are AAA.

Just another reason to bring a lawyer everywhere you go when signing something. I keep a lawyer strapped underneath the car.
dougs likes this.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another reason to do your own service!

I agree with ALMOST everything your being upset about but lets look at it from the OTHER point of view. I get a good discount for driving less that 5K a year on my Vette. it's pretty easy to do that with the other cars I drive, but what if I decided to take a cross country trip and doubled that mileage and wrecked it. The insurance company gave that discount because of me saying I wasn't going to drive very much and here was I blowing that number all to heck and then expecting the insurance to cover it. Your co-worker should have kept an eye on his mileage and what he was covered for.

A little amendment to that answer. My wife is just learning how to drive again after almost 3 years (heart attach and srorke). She's doing pretty good but last week I returned from patrol and saw some scratches and a low dent on the front bumper of our Chevy Cruze. Asked her about it and said she didn't remember hitting anything. Oh well. Took it for an estimate ($783.38) and said I'd pay it myself. Three days later it was as good as new. Called and asked if that would go on the "record" to CARFAX and he said he didn't report to them. This is a reputable firm with a well known name. So, who can tell where the CARFAX info comes from and just becuase a CARFAX report says "NO ACCIDENTS" ....Don't believe it no matter what that stupid FOX says on the TV ads.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Oct 2017 at 06:15 pm.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 06:33 pm
Banned

Newer cars, with all the electronics, are already connected to the internet, so Big Brother and all the insurance companies can already tell everything about your driving habits. Another reason to keep my PT running longer, to avoid all the added electronics, which will eventually break.
dougs and Carnut like this.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I agree with ALMOST everything your being upset about but lets look at it from the OTHER point of view. I get a good discount for driving less that 5K a year on my Vette. it's pretty easy to do that with the other cars I drive, but what if I decided to take a cross country trip and doubled that mileage and wrecked it. The insurance company gave that discount because of me saying I wasn't going to drive very much and here was I blowing that number all to heck and then expecting the insurance to cover it. Your co-worker should have kept an eye on his mileage and what he was covered for.

A little amendment to that answer. My wife is just learning how to drive again after almost 3 years (heart attach and srorke). She's doing pretty good but last week I returned from patrol and saw some scratches and a low dent on the front bumper of our Chevy Cruze. Asked her about it and said she didn't remember hitting anything. Oh well. Took it for an estimate ($783.38) and said I'd pay it myself. Three days later it was as good as new. Called and asked if that would go on the "record" to CARFAX and he said he didn't report to them. This is a reputable firm with a well known name. So, who can tell where the CARFAX info comes from and just becuase a CARFAX report says "NO ACCIDENTS" ....Don't believe it no matter what that stupid FOX says on the TV ads.
That does that not surprise me. Parking lots at the stores are the worst place to get dents and scratches. Some drivers will pretend to ignore the fact that they hit a car going into or leaving a parking spot due to not having the money for the repairs or worried about the car insurance going up. I have seen this happen several times but it's hard to get the license plate number when it happens so fast.
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 11:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

Also, it's not just large shops that report to CARFAX. A few months ago I had some work done at a small independent shop. A short time after that work was completed, I received an email from CARFAX to do a review about the service work from that small shop.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 12:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

It's not just chains that report. I received a copy of the Carfax from the dealership that I bought my PT from. It shows the car was serviced by the original selling Chrysler dealership by both owners through out it's warranty and beyond and the service done, but, the second owner had all his oil changes done at a Mom and Pop carwash/oil change place and they reported it to Carfax every time.

So it seems anyone can report to Carfax that wants to.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 08:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well, like you said, Big Brother is probably watching us everywhere. The problem is we hope it will bring us safety but that's not guaranteed. What is guaranteed is that we lose our privacy.

I recall someone said once his kid's basketball hoop stand fell on his car and scratched it. He got it repainted and it was reported so then his car was classified as having major body work done on it implying an accident and brought the value down.

My car came with a spotless Carfax and even showed that the first owner went to Chrysler to do all the servicing. What it didn't show was that the next owner had the rear side window smashed and the car sat out in the rain with water soaking the interior for a while and the third owner (the one who sold it to me) simply did a quick fix and flip it to me. I naively paid close to retail for it but with NitroPT's help, for a few hundred dollars in parts and a moderate amount of sweat equity (busted knuckles and lots of wrench turning), it is in good running shape for what could be a long time.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Well, like you said, Big Brother is probably watching us everywhere. The problem is we hope it will bring us safety but that's not guaranteed. What is guaranteed is that we lose our privacy.

I recall someone said once his kid's basketball hoop stand fell on his car and scratched it. He got it repainted and it was reported so then his car was classified as having major body work done on it implying an accident and brought the value down.

My car came with a spotless Carfax and even showed that the first owner went to Chrysler to do all the servicing. What it didn't show was that the next owner had the rear side window smashed and the car sat out in the rain with water soaking the interior for a while and the third owner (the one who sold it to me) simply did a quick fix and flip it to me. I naively paid close to retail for it but with NitroPT's help, for a few hundred dollars in parts and a moderate amount of sweat equity (busted knuckles and lots of wrench turning), it is in good running shape for what could be a long time.
I guess what you've gone through is one of the reasons that I have always bought new vehicles for fear of getting someone else's troubles.

The problem with all the other new cars I owned, they ended up getting hit by someone else's negligence. But my PT has never been in an accident, and hope to keep it that way, that's why I've owned it for so long. I'm also in uncharted territory as far as mileage and maintaining a vehicle for this long. But I figure as long as I keep on top of the preventive maintenance, it should run for a good long time. Being in North Texas, really don't have to worry about any body rot.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 10:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I guess what you've gone through is one of the reasons that I have always bought new vehicles for fear of getting someone else's troubles.
Ditto. We've always bought new cars, ran them for 170-250k miles in 12-15 years, then donated them and had them towed away.

This was our very first used car purchase. All in all its been turning out pretty good. Now that I've gotten so much intimate experience with the PT Cruiser, I have to resist the urge from buying another one. The problem with learning so much about a certain car is that all that knowledge is thrown away if your next car is different.

Quote:
Being in North Texas, really don't have to worry about any body rot.
With my younger son at OSU (Go Pokes!), I've spent a lot of time on I-35 going back and forth between Dallas Love Field and Stillwater. Do they ever finish with construction on that road? I would think the hazard of body rot would be from sitting in stopped traffic forever.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Humm....

I wonder if I can make this Carfax thing work in my favor.

My PT has a instrument cluster with 60,000 less miles on it than the car does. Plus my PT looks like it has 100,000 less miles on it than it does. So if I could find a shop that does this Carfax thing and get my oil changed.....

Oh the possibilities.

PS: The real lesson in this thread is that if your insurance company tries to jack up your rates for driving over 8,000 miles a year, it's time to change insurance companies.