Advertisements
no start under 50 f.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2017, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default no start under 50 f.

howdy,our 02 pt cruiser, 2.4. has had this problem for aslong as i can remeber, its not that cold in missouri at the moment but when it drops bout 50 or below the car has trouble starting, sometimes we are lucky and it starts on a crank, otherwise after 2-3 times trying to start we dont even hear starter kick over at that point. and will require a jump. last jan. no matter whats fixed or not starts bout now and gets worse til bout early spring. i will be replacing battery wires thisweekend (cleaning up 7 years of maintenance neglect) among random things everyso often, just replaces spark plugs and wires, (they burn out bout every 6 months.) the cpu was replaces when they first bought to to previous owner crushing with after market parts. if any answer or any options to try would be awesome. thank yall for your time.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 11:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: no start under 50 f.

If it starts with a jump that sounds electrical. Clean and check all the connections and have the battery load tested. You shouldn't really have to throw parts at it, just test it when it is acting up and see where you are losing voltage or whatever. I forget the terminology, and have to double check every time I pull the multimeter out.

FWIW, I had a similar problem on my 'cuda when I was a kid. Would not start cold, but once started would run all day. Jumping it or changing batteries would not help. Spent a winter pushing it back and forth across the street for alternate side. Turned out there was a pinhole in the fuel line. Not sure why it only acted up in cold weather, but when I fixed that up (okay I just hacked out the damaged section and replaced it with rubber line and a filter) it has been fine ever since.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ty, the other day when i replaced the plugs and wires i cleaned of connections at the battery. the battery is only a year old and was replaced when these problems got worse last winter. no effect. the uused car place they bought it from had a system that would shutdown the car with lack of payment and had to have a xode to get it working. a shop took the device out bout a year ago. bit was thinking perhaps the messed with the electrical when installing the equipment. there a few loose wires with dead ends. morrow iam going to check the wires to and from and check the relay box and connections. ty for your time and imput.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 01:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am suggesting you might have an electrical or wiring problem.

I would suggest checking the wiring for the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Sometimes when someone starts working on a PT Cruiser they will pull on the wire harness and break a clip underneath the engine holding it in place. The wire harness falls down and starts rubbing on the half shaft. Go underneath the
PT Cruiser and see if the harness wires are shorting to ground rubbing on the half shaft or the frame. This is a common problem for the 2001 & 2002 PT Cruisers.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 Oct 2017 at 01:37 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 03:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just to throw a fly in the ointment here. When you turn the key on the injectors will double click to get some fuel to the cylinders. Assuming that is happening, the IAC should open up for a start. Is it cold enough to cause a dirty IAC to be sticking? At least it would not hurt to clean up the IAC. With that you MUST disconnect the battery long enough to let it forget the no start condition. And clean that throttle body while you are at it....Just another idea, don't beat me up to much...
Old 27 Oct 2017, 07:16 am
Veteran Cruiser

Ehhh, have you checked the ground connections on the drivers side fender? You'll need to remove the air box to get to them. This has been known to be a trouble spot for the PT's, too.
oldthom likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Tags
battery., cold, not starting