Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser Trunk Lock

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sinbad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2017, 06:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default 2006 PT Cruiser Trunk Lock

Can't find an answer on google, Doesn't seem to be a common issue.

I have a 2006PT cruiser with a touchpad style unlock for the trunk.

If I click unlock on my key and press the button it opens no issue.

However the keyhole above the latch is seized, I actually bent a key trying to open it today. I put some of that rust freerer stuff (My brain is having a brain fart, Can't remember the name) in the keyhole, and it makes no difference. Is the keyhole for style or is mine really really seized. It doesn't even move left or right slightly
Old 26 Oct 2017, 09:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Trunk Lock

Take the inside cover off the liftback (the big piece of plastic) it pulls away with poppers, but go easy so you don't split it, they can be a bit brittle.

The barrel latch itself is held in by a "fork" type spring - no point in trying to describe it, once you see it it's obvious - just slide it out using a pliers or a big screwdriver, then drop the link from the latch (again, you'll see how it works when you see it)

If the tailgate has been replaced it might not be the same as your key, but what has probably happened is it's gummed / corroded up, and will work if you give it a soak in something like WD40 overnight, and after that try working the key in and out of it and you might find that your latch then works it OK.

If you need to buy a replacement, you'll probably need to go to a dealer to get one that fits your key, or get one off eBay and carry a dedicated key for the liftback?

If it's been replaced and doesn't fit the key that came with the car, you can sometimes get the barrel to work by filing the plates of the lock - but thats another subject...
LionPT and oldthom like this.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 05:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Take the inside cover off the liftback (the big piece of plastic) it pulls away with poppers, but go easy so you don't split it, they can be a bit brittle.

The barrel latch itself is held in by a "fork" type spring - no point in trying to describe it, once you see it it's obvious - just slide it out using a pliers or a big screwdriver, then drop the link from the latch (again, you'll see how it works when you see it)

If the tailgate has been replaced it might not be the same as your key, but what has probably happened is it's gummed / corroded up, and will work if you give it a soak in something like WD40 overnight, and after that try working the key in and out of it and you might find that your latch then works it OK.

If you need to buy a replacement, you'll probably need to go to a dealer to get one that fits your key, or get one off eBay and carry a dedicated key for the liftback?

If it's been replaced and doesn't fit the key that came with the car, you can sometimes get the barrel to work by filing the plates of the lock - but thats another subject...
Thanks for the advice I'll give it a try. It fits my key for sure the key slides in no problem just won't turn
Old 27 Oct 2017, 07:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
Thanks for the advice I'll give it a try. It fits my key for sure the key slides in no problem just won't turn
If it doesn't free overnight with WD40, try heating it gently while it's still wet with WD40 - paint stripper gun, blowtorch, hot stove ring in the kitchen

Be careful, risk of fire, death and Apocalypse etc (especially if you're married and try the hot stove trick )

If the key fits and there's no sign of the hatch being replaced, it's odds on to be the original and just corroded to buggery - it's a water and crud trap for obvious reasons.

I gutted mine and put my rear view camera in it when it wouldn't free up. I never used it anyway