PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
To buy, or not to buy, that is the question

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2017, 11:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Default To buy, or not to buy, that is the question

Hello to all the PT Peeps..... yesterday I went to look at an 05 srt4 with 133k miles. Lots of mods, custom paint ect. The car has no rust that I could find. The seller said he thinks has a rod knocking. When I was checking it out I noticed that the timing belt was VERY VERY loose. I believe the timing belt tentioner is broke or not adjusted properly. I did a little research and some people said that a broken tentioner can sound like a rod knocking. I'm going back to look at it some more here in a bit and pull each plug wire one by one while running to see if it gets quieter . Seller also said had a stage 1 clutch, so I thought it could be flywheel bolts loose. So I guess my question is, has anyone ever had a timing tentioner go bad to the point where it sounds like a rod knocking? I think I hear some belt slap along with the knocking sound. I guess it could be both a rod and tentioner, and that's what I hope it isn't. He wants to trade even for my PT so I might just take the gamble. My PT isn't worth near as much as an srt4 so I'm really considering the trade, but I've grown attached to E.T. ...lol . Thanks for reading everyone...

Last edited by Silver_Sleeper; 27 Oct 2017 at 02:47 pm.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 12:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: To buy, or not to buy, that is the question

i like the PT better as i find it a far more low-key car than an srt4. they just seem to attract police more to me. usually here they are piloted by teens or early 20's somethings, and the cops know it. maybe i'm off in my judgement. my little cousin got a wrx. a few months later he no longer has a license. at least with the older mustang i beat on the police kind of like them. most are not fans of little buzzy little turbo cars, around here anyhow. i'd feel profiled in a srt neon and my driving style would not help. i'd get in trouble in one. YMMV
Old 27 Oct 2017, 02:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Sleeper View Post
Hello to all the PT Peeps..... yesterday I went to look at an 05 srt4 with 133k miles. Lots of mods, custom paint ect. The car has no rust that I could find. The seller said he thinks has a rod knocking. When I was checking it out I noticed that the timing belt was VERY VERY loose. I believe the timing belt tentioner is broke or not adjusted properly. I did a little research and some people said that a broken tentioner can sound like a rod knocking. I'm going back to look at it some more here in a bit and pull each plug wire one by one while running to see if it gets quieter . Seller also said had a stage 1 clutch, so I thought it could be flywheel bolts loose. So I guess my question is, has anyone ever had a timing tentioner go bad to the point where it sounds like a rod knocking? I think I hear some belt slap along with the knocking sound. I guess it could be both a rod and tentioner, and that's what I hope it isn't. He wants to trade even for my PT so I might just take the gamble. My PT isn't worth near as much as an srt4 so I'm really considering the trade, but I've grown attached to E.T. ...lol . Thanks for reading everyone...
Before I got the timing belt done in my PT I had a similar noise and could actually feel the timing belt slapping on the cover

Now driven by my brother

Sound System
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 10" MTX subwoofers, Rockford Fosgate P1T-S Tweets, Rockford Fosgate 6x8"s , Rockford Fosgate 6.5"'s, AudioControl 24XS crossover

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 60k
Chrome grille and wheel covers
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes
Old 27 Oct 2017, 03:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well I just got back from looking at it again. It's only about 5 minutes down the road so that's nice. I believe I have eliminated it being a rod bearing. So it still could be a main bearing. I pulled each plug wire one by one while it was at idle listening for the knock to get a little less noisey and with each wire I pulled the knock got alot louder. Same with each one. The sound just doesn't sound like any bad rod or main bearing that I have heard in the past. The guy had to leave so I didn't get to do much more besides that, except I did check shaft play on the turbo and it has quite a bit. It's not bad enough yet to hit the housing, but it definitely needs replaced. It sounds to me like it's more than just a timing tentioner. The knock seems to be coming from the cylinder area, just below the head but not down by the crank. And it gets really loud when you rev as torque is applied and no knock as revs return to idle.. the next time I go back I might try to eliminate the flywheel bolts. Maybe put it in 1st and rev while slightly engaging the clutch. I figured if the flywheel bolts are loose then it won't knock as long as there is torque on them....idk.. I might just pass on the deal because of the turbo... maybe he will take a small wadd of Cash instead lol
Old 27 Oct 2017, 03:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yea jonN, part of the noise is definitely the belt slapping. I'm just thinking there is more than that causing the majority of the knocking. I got lucky because for some reason the upper timing cover isn't on there so I can get a good look. It almost looks as if someone replaced the timing belt and never adjusted the tentioner...who knows. The guy that has it hasn't had it for very long at all and he isn't mechanically inclined at all so he can't tell me much...
Old 27 Oct 2017, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: To buy, or not to buy, that is the question

"No Rust"... that would lean me towards the BUY side ( at least around these parts! )

Parts can be replaced, engines can be rebuilt, BUT RUST NEVER SLEEPS!
Old 27 Oct 2017, 05:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wasn't there something on one of the end cams - No1 cylinder? - where they had to have the cars back and chamfer the block of the cam bearing because of a knocking noise?
Wonder if it's that, and it never got the recall?
Old 27 Oct 2017, 07:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Wasn't there something on one of the end cams - No1 cylinder? - where they had to have the cars back and chamfer the block of the cam bearing because of a knocking noise?
Wonder if it's that, and it never got the recall?
I listened for top end noise and didn't hear anything. It's coming from down at the base of the head around the#2 and#3 cylinder area. It could have top end noise that I can't hear though...
Old 28 Oct 2017, 12:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I listened for top end noise and didn't hear anything. It's coming from down at the base of the head around the#2 and#3 cylinder area. It could have top end noise that I can't hear though...
Rolled or broken ring... small end... bent valve...

You're obviously looking at a car that's had more money spent on wax and furry dice than maintenance or the cam belt wouldn't need doing...

I'd be inclined to tell the bloke his engines a wreck and offer him 150 and see what he says. You might have to wait him out and drop by once a week, but let's face it - not many people are going to be beating a path to his door for a PT Cruiser with a knackered lump
Old 28 Oct 2017, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The on 2.4L engine in my past Sebring convertible, the timing belt tensioner gave out. This let the timing belt slap and it made a knocking sound similar to an old farm tractor engine. It as a cross between a rod-knocking noise and a very deep clapping. I drove the car 55 miles all the way home that day. The location of the sound was very hard to pinpoint. But I found the problem when I removed the top cover over the timing sprockets and saw the belt was very loose on the trailing side.

This may not be the issue with this car you are looking to buy, but it's something to check out if you can.