• 1 Post By ajhockey3
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 4 Post By ajhockey3
  • 1 Post By Silver_Sleeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2017, 12:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser Timing Belt - First engine mount

My goal was to get the belt OFF tonight, But doesn't look like its going to happen

I cannot remove the bigger 18MM bolt, When I wrench it out, it goes 3-4 rotations of the bolt going out, Than the bolt underneath spins with it so it goes nowhere. I can't fit plyers down there,

A wrench doesn't hold onto it not enough of the bolt sticks out

socket won't grip it, only a few MM of the bolt sticks out and the surrounding metal isnt flush so It won't grip onto it properly

I can not get this bolt out, I spent 2 hours trying everything I could.

Please help before I scap this thing, very annoyed and frusterated

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser Timing Belt - First engine mount

Here's what's happened.

There's a nut on the bottom of that bracket that the big bolts screws into. This nut slides in a "track" so you can adjust the top strut. What's happened on your PT is that the nut is spinning in the track. This happens pretty often.

The solution is to get an end-wrench on that nut. With the right wrench, there should be enough of the nut sticking out from the track that an end-wrench will fit on it. I've done this myself on two of my PT's. To make enough room to do this, go ahead and take the strut loose on the front side and then push it toward the right fender. This will make room to get your hand below the bracket where you can get a wrench on this nut.

You will likely never see the nut. So this is going to be done by feel alone. I believe the nut is an 18mm. But I am not sure I remember. So be prepared to try several sizes.
oldthom likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Oct 2017 at 01:10 pm.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 02:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Here's what's happened.

There's a nut on the bottom of that bracket that the big bolts screws into. This nut slides in a "track" so you can adjust the top strut. What's happened on your PT is that the nut is spinning in the track. This happens pretty often.

The solution is to get an end-wrench on that nut. With the right wrench, there should be enough of the nut sticking out from the track that an end-wrench will fit on it. I've done this myself on two of my PT's. To make enough room to do this, go ahead and take the strut loose on the front side and then push it toward the right fender. This will make room to get your hand below the bracket where you can get a wrench on this nut.

You will likely never see the nut. So this is going to be done by feel alone. I believe the nut is an 18mm. But I am not sure I remember. So be prepared to try several sizes.
Finally got it off, It is an 18mm, I couldn't fit the whole wrench so I had to genuinly cut it in half. But son of a bitch is off now
Old 01 Nov 2017, 09:20 am
Regular Cruiser

You could have also unbolted the mounting bracket from the strut tower. If I remember correctly, it has only 2 bolts (15 mm?) One facing the front and the other faces the driver's side. You would also have to remove the bracket for the cruise control actuator/diaphragm - vacuum actuators, but you got it off.
BTarb24 likes this.

Last edited by Silver_Sleeper; 01 Nov 2017 at 09:22 am.