Advertisements
The Mystery Wire

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2017, 04:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default The Mystery Wire

So now that I have the steering and suspension doing well, I moved onto the ignition system.

Yesterday I got in there and swapped out(about 95% sure)the factory original plugs and wires(236,000 kms)(cringes)

Anyway, in the middle of all this, I accidently bumped a wire that I had seen when I bought the car but had never paid much attention to.

This wire does not belong...let me just get that out of the way before everyone gets on me about it...lol

This wire has an alligator clip on each end. One end is clipped to one of the upper strut bolts. the other end is clipped to, what looks like, a part of a paperclip twisted into a T shape. This "paperclip" is inserted into the PCM connector. Brown or Tan with Black tracer. On the very top of the connector, closest to the firewall.

Now when I bumped this wire, it pulled the paperclip out of the connector. I found the car wouldn't start. Dash lights and everything else worked, just no crank. Almost like it has something to do with the security system.

Any thoughts on this? And is there a way I can eliminate this wire to avoid potential problems down the road?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 04:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: The Mystery Wire

The power train control module has several separate ground wires (blk/tan, blk/wht, blk/lb)

Apparently one of the ground circuits is bad and has been repaired by this jerry-rigged parallel circuit to ground

It would be help full to know which of the several connectors had the DIY paperclip inserted

The connector may have a broken pin or the wire is broken, perhaps where the ground is bolted to the car body

Check the ground wiring at the fender area on both sides of the motor compartment