PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

 
Like Tree30Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 03:22 pm
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

Almost done, just have to remove the belt cover and the last engine mount thats beside the belt cover



I can't lower the engine enough to take off the top 2 and bolt on the lower timing belt cover.

Currently have 2 jackstands behind the front 2 tires on the car and the backwheels are touching the ground, I can lower the jack to the point it doesn't hold up the engine, and the engine still stays up. Can't get the engine to drop enough so that I can get these last few bolts out, needs to drop like an extra inch


Will lowering the jackstands with another jack fix this?

or will I have to find another way




I don't know if I can raise it enough to comfortable take out the bolts on the big engine mount thats touching the upper timing belt cover, but I think I should still be able to just get them off. Not as worried about this part.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 03:45 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,330
Default Re: Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

This is the height the engine needs to be. I did this three times since I was experimenting with some performance camshafts. For me, I would gently rock the engine back and forth while raising the jack with my foot. This way I could detect when anything started making the engine hang. It should jack up until the exhaust pipe is against the bottom of the chassis, if you didn't take the exhaust loose. And that's high enough.




I don't remember any of the bolts on the cover being where I could not get to them. The ones where I couldn't get in the air ratchet, I just used a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket. And you should be able to raise the engine high enough to get the two top engine mount bolts to pass over that square tubing in the chassis. Seems like I only may have removed the lower front bolt from below, and it may have come out from the top too. The mount is turn almost 90 degrees to the left in this photo.

__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Nov 2017 at 03:53 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 03:48 pm
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
This is the height the engine needs to be. I did this three times since I was experimenting with some performance camshafts. For me, I would gently rock the engine back and forth while raising the jack with my foot. This way I could detect when anything started making the engine hang. It should jack up until the exhaust pipe is against the bottom of the chassis, if you didn't take the exhaust loose. And that's high enough.




I don't remember any of the bolts on the cover being where I could not get to them. The ones where I couldn't get in the air ratchet, I just used a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket. And you should be able to raise the engine high enough to get the two top engine mount bolts to pass over that square tubing in the chassis. Seems like I only removed the lower bolt from below.





Thanks for the diagram. I cannot reach the the marked bolts when I lower it. The engine will just stay up and the jackstand will not support it.

I got the one on the left sort of loose, But I backed it out too much and got a rachet stuck inbetween the frame and the loosened bolt, Had to get a slot head screwdriver and a rubber malet to get the rachet out of there, Breaking my rachet. And the screw isn't out yet and isn't loose enough to do by hand



I can't get the engine low enough for the bottem part of the crankshaft cover
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 03:54 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,330
Default Re: Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post


Thanks for the diagram. I cannot reach the the marked bolts when I lower it. The engine will just stay up and the jackstand will not support it.

I got the one on the left sort of loose, But I backed it out too much and got a rachet stuck inbetween the frame and the loosened bolt, Had to get a slot head screwdriver and a rubber malet to get the rachet out of there, Breaking my rachet. And the screw isn't out yet and isn't loose enough to do by hand



I can't get the engine low enough for the bottem part of the crankshaft cover
Note that I change out that diagram for a photo. I believe that's the Neon mount in the diagram. But the photo is correct.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 03:59 pm
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Note that I change out that diagram for a photo. I believe that's the Neon mount in the diagram. But the photo is correct.
Ill get a picture of mine to show
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 04:08 pm
SpaceMouse's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SF Bay Area / Central Valley
Posts: 209
Default Re: Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post


Thanks for the diagram. I cannot reach the the marked bolts when I lower it. The engine will just stay up and the jackstand will not support it....
I can't get the engine low enough for the bottem part of the crankshaft cover
It's been a few months since I did this job, but I'm pretty sure I removed the bolts you indicate in the drawing by raising the engine waaaaaay up high and attacking from above. As already stated, just rock the engine gently as you raise it in order to keep it from hanging up, and keep an eye on the air conditioner compressor to make sure you don't crash the plastic connector on it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 04:10 pm
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
Ill get a picture of mine to show
I can lower it to the point where the jack will no longer support it.




Bolts still aren't lower enough to get out



I think I also broke a motor mount from raising and lowering it. Will have to spend more than I did on the belt for a replacement


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 04:11 pm
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

Don't know why the images are so wonky, Just open them in a new page/tab and they look normal
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 04:18 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kokomo Indiana
Posts: 144
Default Re: Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

Just remove the lower mount. You should remove all 3 motor mounts when doing the belt
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
__________________
03 gt 5 speed Stage 1
Whoever says "There's no replacement for displacement " obviously underestimates RPM
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2017, 04:21 pm
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: Almost got the timing belt off - Can't lower the engine or raise it enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Sleeper View Post
Just remove the lower mount. You should remove all 3 motor mounts when doing the belt
Eh your probably right. I'm going to replace it anyways
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PT Cruiser Timing Belt - First engine mount ajhockey3 General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 01 Nov 2017 09:20 am
timing belt tracks to engine case dougforman Welcome New PT Cruiser Members 6 24 Jun 2013 10:39 am
Engine won't run good after timing belt replacement pingis Tech & Performance Forum 14 24 Jun 2013 08:52 am
Bolts for lower timing belt cover DreamCar Tech & Performance Forum 4 24 Apr 2013 10:00 pm
timing belt, how long will it last on 2.4 engine BrianW Tech & Performance Forum 27 15 Mar 2011 10:40 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors