PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dream cruiser series 2 manual transmission questions

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2017, 06:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Dream cruiser series 2 manual transmission questions

What manual transmission is in my 03 dream cruiser series 2 what is the manual transmission code my reverse is up left thank you guys. Would an SRT4 tranny fit in my dream Cruiser 2? And also what is the best aftermarket clutch for my current stock manual transmission in my 03 dream Cruiser 2? Thanks!
Old 03 Nov 2017, 07:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Dream cruiser series 2 manual transmission questions

Your transmission is a Getrag G288. It is a much stronger transmission than the Srt4's T850. The SRT4 guys want our trans because its stronger, but it won't fit in their car.

Is your clutch shot, or are you just looking to upgrade for the heck of it?
cloudhidd3n likes this.
Old 03 Nov 2017, 10:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

There's nothing wrong car is running amazing especially after my timing belt job, I was just curious. Wanted to know this information so that when the clutch goes I'll know things already. Good to know the g288 is better then the t850. Thanks! What clutch upgrade would you recommended for 300 ish horsepower/torque? Are these clutches interchangeable also how about the slave master cylinder and the clutch master cylinder from the SRT4 are those interchangeable because I like to order the DCR slave clutch master cylinders, they are SRT4 performance parts

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 03 Nov 2017 at 10:45 pm.
Old 03 Nov 2017, 10:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Recommend you stick with stock stuff. Strong clutches on low power cars break parts. Axles, input shafts, etc. That trans is hard to find and parts to fix it are also hard to find.

adding dcr hydraulic stuff designed for a weaker trans makes no sense and likely won't fit anyhow.
cloudhidd3n likes this.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 12:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

So I was asking about the interchangeability of slave master cylinder because the DCR slave master cylinder apparently fixes the infamous clutch fork rattle caused by I guess a not strong enough pressure from the stock slave master cylinder spring. I've had this noise issue on my previous 2 srt4's as well and for some reason I get the rattle noise on the g288 as well. Weird. The cars came with this noise so it's not something I do or did I drive 2 other manual cars with no fork rattle noise. This noise is well documented in the srt4 community and maybe here too?

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 04 Nov 2017 at 12:14 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2017, 12:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

the shift fork pivot ball bushing may be worn or missing.

you might ask this guy: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...townsport.html
he was the manual trans expert here.
cloudhidd3n likes this.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 12:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Clutch fork pivot ball bushing? Is that inside the transmission where the clutch is located? Never heard of it before.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 11:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

There is no clutch fork in the Getrag like in the srt4 t850. I have had the rattle in my G288 too. The rattle was causes buy a worn out bearing on the Concentric Slave Cylinder. If you step lightly on the clutch then the rattle goes away right? If so then yours is like mine and the bearing is finished. It means you will have to replace it to fix it. Since you have to pull the trans and clutch to do it, then you will likely be replacing the clutch too, unless your old one is still perfect.
cloudhidd3n likes this.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 12:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Holy crap I have to pull the trans to replace the slave cylinder or is that different from the concentric slave cylinder and is located inside where the clutch is? I'll look through the manual pdf. Yes it goes away when pressing the clutch pedal. Does it need to be replaced or can I go on like this? It has always rattled since I bought the car almost two years ago over 26k miles ago. Where exactly is this bearing located, does the concentric slave cylinder come with one or do I need to order it separately? Yes if I'm removing the tranny I'm replacing the clutch too, any recommendations on a clutch for the g288?

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 06 Nov 2017 at 02:12 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 05:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudhidd3n View Post
Holy crap I have to pull the trans to replace the slave cylinder or is that different from the concentric slave cylinder and is located inside where the clutch is? I'll look through the manual pdf. Yes it goes away when pressing the clutch pedal. Does it need to be replaced or can I go on like this? It has always rattled since I bought the car almost two years ago over 26k miles ago. Where exactly is this bearing located, does the concentric slave cylinder come with one or do I need to order it separately? Yes if I'm removing the tranny I'm replacing the clutch too, any recommendations on a clutch for the g288?
Yup, you have to pull the trans to get to the slave. It is under the clutch assembly. The clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel assembly on these transmissions slide onto the input shaft and bolt to the flex plate in very much the same way a torque converter fits into an automatic trans. You have to remove that to get to the slave for replacement.

The slave has the bearing incorporated into it. The factory piece has a rubber dust boot covering the spring. If yours is not melted from the heat coming out of that bad bearing (mine was), then you can swap it onto the new slave, if it doesn't already have one. When I got my car the bearing was already making noise. I drove on it like that for another year before replacing it when doing my clutch a few weeks ago. I don't know what the life could be if you drove it until it self destructed.

The slave by itself is expensive. It is much netter to buy a kit that comes with it. I recommend a stock clutch. You are more likely to start breaking stuff with the performance clutches. Sachs is the OE supplier of these clutches, and regardless of the manufacturer you buy from, they almost all will be a Sachs clutch and have that info stamped right into them. The cheapest kit, right now, on Rock Auto is actually the Sachs.

You should have your DMF resurfaced. A good clutch shop can do this. In my city I paid around $70 USD if I remember correctly. If you can't have it resurfaced, or if the bearing is shot in it, then you will need a new one. They are quite expensive. Around double the cost of the clutch kit.

There is an alternative would save you about $70 over the cost of buying a new clutch and new DMF, and that is a conversion clutch kit, also available from Rock Auto. Only a couple of people have tried these on the forum that I have seen. The results have been satisfactory I believe, but it is a very small sample size to generate any meaningful statistic.

Here is a pic of the slave on Rock Auto:

cloudhidd3n likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 06 Nov 2017 at 05:49 pm.