• 1 Post By Quiel
  • 1 Post By podo2000
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2017, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Could it be the computer

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser with 138908 miles. Check engine light comes on and off. I had a mechanic replaced the O2 sensors with aftermarket parts. Last time it was replaced with dealer parts. The wiring had been replaced but my CEL keeps coming on. The mechanic said it could be my computer. It will cost me $700 to replace it. Before I do, I would like to have your comments. I don’t mind paying I just don’t want this issue to come back.

This have been happening for the last few months. The codes (P0031 and P0037) have been diagnosed. Both O2 sensors been replaced by different mechanics. I trust my last mechanic. He’s done work with my other cars. I just want peoples opinion specially the ones who had the same issues I had before I replace my computer.
podo2000 likes this.

Last edited by Quiel; 05 Nov 2017 at 02:16 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Could it be the computer

Welcome to the forum. You didn't tell us what CEL (fault code) that your getting. You can pull the codes yourself by following these directions....

How to retrieve fault codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum. You didn't tell us what CEL (fault code) that your getting. You can pull the codes yourself by following these directions....

How to retrieve fault codes.
I edited my post and added more info including codes
Old 05 Nov 2017, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest first checking the grounds for the 02 sensors before replacing the 02 sensors.

Also some mechanics are in a big hurry and don't install the new 02 sensors properly.

The key to successfully replacing any HO2 or O2 sensor.

Spray area of sensor with a air dry cleaner
Remove sensor from exhaust component.
Either use a tap and chase the thread or a small wire brush to clean the threads.
Apply a very small amount of anti-seize to the threads.
Using only a Oxygen sensor installation socket install and torque to value as per the instructions from the sensor used or as per a Factory Service Manual.
Apply dielectric grease to the connector housing and re-connect with the chassis harness
Secure the harness away from direct contact of exhaust components.
Using a Diagnostic tool go into the diagnostic connector and check and clear any codes making note of any existing codes.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 02:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had a 05 that had those codes for a while. Replaced the sensors a few times but it kept coming back. There were no drivability issues though.
I had my PCM reflashed it it got rid of the issue.
Quiel likes this.

2004 PTGT 123Kmiles
Old 05 Nov 2017, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiel View Post
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser with 138908 miles. Check engine light comes on and off. I had a mechanic replaced the O2 sensors with aftermarket parts. Last time it was replaced with dealer parts. The wiring had been replaced but my CEL keeps coming on. The mechanic said it could be my computer. It will cost me $700 to replace it. Before I do, I would like to have your comments. I don’t mind paying I just don’t want this issue to come back.

This have been happening for the last few months. The codes (P0031 and P0037) have been diagnosed. Both O2 sensors been replaced by different mechanics. I trust my last mechanic. He’s done work with my other cars. I just want peoples opinion specially the ones who had the same issues I had before I replace my computer.

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

First, let's assume the work done up to now was done right. And if so, the wiring and connectors would have been checked by the mechanic you trust. He likely should have checked the voltages coming from the PCM as well. So if we rule bad mechanic work out, we are left with the aftermarket sensors and the PCM.

This usually causes a debate, but we need to say it. These cars are not always compatible with all aftermarket brands of O2 sensors. I've had the same issue with aftermarket sensors on both a Dodge truck and Dodge Charger from the PT era. And both times, a factory sensors solved the issue. Add in all the reports of problems with aftermarket O2 sensors here on PT's, you the probability goes up even more.

The other issue is the PCM. As podo2000 described, sometimes having the PCM flashed will do trick. Sometimes replacement is necessary. However, the cost your mechanic quoted you is much too high. Reflashing a PCM should be everyday stuff for any shop with a shop level diagnostic scanner and a subscription to Tech Authority. And there are several good online sellers of reconditioned used PCM's for PT's. Some have a lifetime warranty. The cost should be under $300 for one in most cases. I've had a really good experience from Autocomputerexchange.com. And forum member Myckee has a small business selling used PCM's with your VIN already programed into them. You can PM him to see what he has.

I'm telling you all this so you can make more informed decisions. If I was you and didn't work on my own cars, I'd likely take this info back to my trusted mechanic and talk to him about it. First I'd assure he's done all the preliminary stuff already himself as far as inspecting all the leads, connectors and voltages. Then I'd talk over either replacing the sensors with Mopar sensors and/or flashing the PCM. He will likely have an opinion of his own about which angle of attack to take first based on difficulty and costs. A truly good mechanic that you can trust is hard to come by. You are lucky.

Let's us know how it goes and then come back and join in on all the fun around here.

DISCLAIMER: It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
Quiel and myckee like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Nov 2017 at 03:29 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As a reminder don't forget to ask your mechanic first if they installed the 02 sensors properly. There has been threads where the member has replaced the PCM and still got the same codes you did so make sure they check the wiring also.

This member still got the codes after replaced the 02 sensor several times and the PCM twice.
Need more help! 6 O2 sensor and 2 PCM still the same issue.

This member even had his PCM reflashed and still had the codes.
O2 Sensor problems

The key to successfully replacing any HO2 or O2 sensor.

Spray area of sensor with a air dry cleaner
Remove sensor from exhaust component.
Either use a tap and chase the thread or a small wire brush to clean the threads.
Apply a very small amount of anti-seize to the threads.
Using only a Oxygen sensor installation socket install and torque to value as per the instructions from the sensor used or as per a Factory Service Manual.
Apply dielectric grease to the connector housing and re-connect with the chassis harness
Secure the harness away from direct contact of exhaust components.
Using a Diagnostic tool go into the diagnostic connector and check and clear any codes making note of any existing codes.
Quiel likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 05 Nov 2017 at 04:15 pm.