Advertisements
Wrong tension on timing belt?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2017, 05:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Wrong tension on timing belt?

I have just over 600 miles since I put in the new timing belt. I looked under the top cover today just to check things out. I see that the belt has walked over to the edge of the cams (outside). I believe I left the tension to tight and going to have to go all the way back in there and adjust the tensioner just a bit. NOT what I wanted to see......
Old 06 Nov 2017, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wrong tension on timing belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldthom View Post
I have just over 600 miles since I put in the new timing belt. I looked under the top cover today just to check things out. I see that the belt has walked over to the edge of the cams (outside). I believe I left the tension to tight and going to have to go all the way back in there and adjust the tensioner just a bit. NOT what I wanted to see......
Make sure the timing belt alignment is good. A member had a bent bracket and it walked the timing belt.

Tensioner_Bracket.JPG
rsrocket1 likes this.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 06:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Check out MotorCity Mechanic's 7 part videos on the PT Cruiser timing belt. He has a good suggestion on using a telescoping mirror to get the alignment right on the spring and cutout. I used his suggestion and it worked well.

Steve's citing of the manual is good advice. As much as it is a PIA to get back down to the tensioner, it might be a good idea to simply buy another belt and tensioner rather than risk having to do it again if this tensioner wears out prematurely.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm
Young Cruiser

I did use motorcity, I ended up with the spring leg just to the right of that notch in your photo above. Just a bit to tight as I see it. I Plan on replacing the tensioner because I have been checking the timing belt about twice a month and it has stayed about 3/8's of an inch from the outside edge until now. Today it has walked to the edge so I think I either have a bad bearing that is either freezing up or starting to wobble a bit and making that belt walk. Something told me to keep an eye on that belt for a while.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 10:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldthom View Post
I did use motorcity, I ended up with the spring leg just to the right of that notch in your photo above. Just a bit to tight as I see it. I Plan on replacing the tensioner because I have been checking the timing belt about twice a month and it has stayed about 3/8's of an inch from the outside edge until now. Today it has walked to the edge so I think I either have a bad bearing that is either freezing up or starting to wobble a bit and making that belt walk. Something told me to keep an eye on that belt for a while.
Is the tensioner you now have in the Pt Cruiser the original tensioner?
Old 06 Nov 2017, 10:45 pm
Young Cruiser

No, this tensioner came with the timing belt kit.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 12:21 pm
Young Cruiser

AS YOU WERE, and BELAY MY LAST! After I got the top cover off and got a good look at where the belt is riding it is almost 3/16's of an inch from the edge of the cam gear. It still needs to be checked now and then but I am okay with that cause I figure with age and heat that belt will most likely slide back over to where I had it to begin with. For now, all is well. Thanx for all your info friends.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 02:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Good to hear. If the spring is not in the narrow deep notch but still within the shallow wide notch, it is still in the "tolerance window" and is acceptable.