• 1 Post By Sinbad
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By MJKnight
  • 1 Post By My02RedRide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2017, 06:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default I refinished SOOO BIG's center radio bezel

I found a paint shop that supplied me matching paint stuffed into a spray can to refinish SOOO BIG's center radio bezel.

They advised me that all they needed to make up a batch for the spray can was a sample of the color. I found a piece from a badly damaged passenger side air bag cover dash in the right silver color on a trip to the local salvage yard. They were able to scan and code it. They matched the color perfectly.

After a little cleaning, sanding, taping and spraying of color and clear coat. Here's the end result.

This paint is of the same quality as used in an auto body paint shop. No Walmart off the shelf stuff. Good drying time, nice fill and coverage, excellent finish and match.

This wasn't a must do project but something I thought SOOO BIG deserved when I had the chance. The color and finish are as original and still out of a dedicated spray can. Proving I'm still basically a rattle can guy. I would guess any of your local paint suppliers can give you the same product.

I like the way each unit in the radio bezel is now defined individually.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_2018 (480x640).jpg

IMG_2020 (480x640).jpg

IMG_2019 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2026 (480x640).jpg

IMG_2027 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2028 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2030 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2031 (640x480).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I refinished SOOO BIG's center radio bezel

Old 06 Nov 2017, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That looks great, Price. Awesome job.

I'd forgotten that you have the RB1 stereo and factory "Chrome Package". And that bezel looks so good it took me a moment to realize that it didn't come that way. I have a 2nd Gen Double DIN bezel I may need you to paint for me. I suck at this kind of thing.
Busted_PT and ptprice like this.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 07:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
That looks great, Price. Awesome job.

I'd forgotten that you have the RB1 stereo and factory "Chrome Package". And that bezel looks so good it took me a moment to realize that it didn't come that way. I have a 2nd Gen Double DIN bezel I may need you to paint for me. I suck at this kind of thing.
All it takes is good pre cleaning, a careful light scuffing with 600 grit wet sand, tacking, very careful taping and light coats to build up the color and then light coats to build the clear finish. Have a good light illuminating your work place. Constantly tilt the work to view your coverage. Spray the edges, then up, down and side to side for full coverage. Always spray so you don't get over spray on your work. This keeps the finish laying consistent. You'll end up with some paint on your fingers but it's small price to pay. The funnest part is pullin' off the tape and seein' the results. If you screw it up there's always a raid on a salvage yard to replace it.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 08:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Looks great! I still love the looks of the dash on the 1st gen PT's!
ptprice likes this.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 01:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I love you left the original color of the vent. A lot more work but your skill has me impressed as a professional myself. Looks like it should have been. Go on with your bad self my friend.
ptprice likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Nov 2017, 03:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

That looks absolutely fantastic mate
ptprice likes this.
Old 07 Nov 2017, 09:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpetey View Post
Looks great! I still love the looks of the dash on the 1st gen PT's!
Me Too! Happy PTin', ptprice
vermontpetey likes this.
Old 08 Nov 2017, 01:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Looks great....
ptprice likes this.

Old 08 Nov 2017, 06:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Really nice job. I like the color and how you separated the colors for the vents from the rest on the bezel. Nice radio...........
ptprice likes this.