Advertisements
Looking at buying a PT Cruzer

Like Tree6Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2017, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Looking at buying a PT Cruzer

I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 73k with turbo 2.4 for about 5k. See mixed reviews on reliability. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5849.jpg (12.9 KB, 30 views)
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by acgross92; 06 Nov 2017 at 06:38 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 06:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Looking at buying a PT Cruzer

Pretty PT, but WAY too expensive. Check out Kelly Blue Book and NADA. $5K is about twice what it's worth.
rsrocket1 likes this.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Love that color

I would like to hope that that is what my PT is still worth

That might be a good price if the timing belt work has been done, but at that low mileage, it probably hasn't been done.

Checking Kelley Blue Book, using my zip code (76040 Dallas/Ft. Worth):

Fair $3325
Good $3650
Very Good $4008
Excellent $4261

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 06 Nov 2017 at 07:42 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 07:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I agree it's way over priced. Don't let your emotions get in the way of your common sense.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 06 Nov 2017, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Timingbelt I thought i read cost 700 to be done. Is that correct.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgross92 View Post
Timingbelt I thought i read cost 700 to be done. Is that correct.
If you have the timing belt and all other related (timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount with new bolt) done at a dealership using MOPAR parts, you can figure about $1500.

The timing belt work should be done at 10 years/100,000 miles.

That vehicle is due for that work. Offer them $3500.

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 06 Nov 2017 at 08:15 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you want the car then I would let your heart and desire decide for you. These internet found purple, blue green etc., book or what ever color along with members with sour grapes want to give advise about what a PT Cruiser is valued is really IMHO sheeeeeeeet, unless you are only looking for a driver and not something special.

Don't let the negative responses from a few members discourage you from getting something you want as I see it they seem to forget the reason some of us purchased and own a PT Cruiser is for what it personally means and not what somebody on the internet thinks it is worth.

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Nov 2017 at 10:25 pm. Reason: spelling what else
Old 06 Nov 2017, 11:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If you want the car then I would let your heart and desire decide for you. These internet found purple, blue green etc., book or what ever color along with members with sour grapes want to give advise about what a PT Cruiser is valued is really IMHO sheeeeeeeet, unless you are only looking for a driver and not something special.

Don't let the negative responses from a few members discourage you from getting something you want as I see it they seem to forget the reason some of us purchased and own a PT Cruiser is for what it personally means and not what somebody on the internet thinks it is worth.
Every place that deals in vehicles has some kind of (regardless of color) pricing guide that they will refer to, to give you the lowest dollar that they can for your trade. They will not give you an unrealistic figure for your car just because you have a "sentimental attachment" to it. The best that any consumer can do is to consult several different pricing guides, and then possibly take an average of those.

But also, any consumer could possibly use to their advantage, when negotiating a buying price, to take into account any expensive or past due maintenance that has not been done.

No sour grapes here. When I bought mine, I didn't do any research on it, I had no idea Gen1 or Gen2. I liked the styling and could afford it. I love my PT and will continue to drive it for as long as I can. I don't think it has been any more costly to maintain, than any other vehicle would be. If everything is working properly, it runs fine.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 06 Nov 2017, 11:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should be one to be supporting the enthusiasm of someone wanting a PT Cruiser for what it is instead of a couple members constantly posting what the retail value is of them as if it were simply another car. But I understand you must differ with anything I post right or wrong as if it were a everyday car to purchase. Some of us think a little more about PT Cruiser and are not without any fault in paying more then a stated retail value of it.

If I were to ever find my first car Ii would most definitely pay pretty much anything I could afford to get it. Sometimes it is not what something is worth by some formula of retail value but the mental value and the feeling wanting something and if possible the means to get it. Even if that means paying a little more then some group like the BLUE BOOK says it is not worth the price someone is selling it for.

Really do you want to argue with me about this I am sure this time more members and the greater membership on this forum would not be on your side.

The reason most of us are here is the passion we have owning a PT CRUISER! DUDE!
Old 07 Nov 2017, 12:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
You should be one to be supporting the enthusiasm of someone wanting a PT Cruiser for what it is instead of a couple members constantly posting what the retail value is of them as if it were simply another car.
Did you read my post #3? I believe I said this:

"That might be a good price if the timing belt work has been done..."

That means that even though the asking price may be higher than a book price, it would be a fair price if the expensive timing belt work had already been done, which any book price is taking into account that all "scheduled" maintenance has been completed. The vehicle being 10 years old, according to the Owner's Manual, the timing belt should have been replaced based on time rather than mileage.

Quote:
But I understand you must differ with anything I post right or wrong as if it were a everyday car to purchase. Some of us think a little more about PT Cruiser and are not without any fault in paying more then a stated retail value of it.

If I were to ever find my first car Ii would most definitely pay pretty much anything I could afford to get it. Sometimes it is not what something is worth by some formula of retail value but the mental value and the feeling wanting something and if possible the means to get it. Even if that means paying a little more then some group like the BLUE BOOK says it is not worth the price someone is selling it for.

Really do you want to argue with me about this I am sure this time more members and the greater membership on this forum would not be on your side.

The reason most of us are here is the passion we have owning a PT CRUISER! DUDE!
As so do you with whatever Todd or I post, I think we all know, and many other members can also see, that the only reason that you jumped in on this thread is because of the posts from Todd and myself.

I don't see you making any comment about the post from chuzz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I agree it's way over priced. Don't let your emotions get in the way of your common sense.
Quote:
I'm going to be around this forum for a very long time, right by your side, my friend

Your post could have simply been worded as this, taking out any personal attacks:

Quote:
Some of us think a little more about PT Cruiser and are not without any fault in paying more then a stated retail value of it.

The reason most of us are here is the passion we have owning a PT CRUISER!

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 07 Nov 2017 at 12:45 am.
Closed Thread