PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELLLP! GAS ODOR IN CABIN, ON A/C ONLY!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By My02RedRide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2017, 11:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy HELLLP! GAS ODOR IN CABIN, ON A/C ONLY!

Gentlemen (and all the rest of us) :
I am the happy owner of a 2005 PT Cruiser, Turbo ragtop. I have a problem, and my Haynes manual doesn't seem to address it...You should know right now, this is:
1. My first PT Cruiser,
2. My first convertible, and also
3. My first turbo ANYTHING! It's a lot of fun to drive, especially since I live in Arizona...
NOW TO THE PROBLEM:
When I am at a stoplight or parked with engine and A/C on, within seconds I get an odor of gasoline/exhaust fumes coming from the vents; this happens only when the A/C is running - never with just the blower.
I'm willing to listen to anything you guys might have to offer in the way of cause and/or cure ( A 'rod-jockey buddy mentioned it might be a clogged fuel filter...?)
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ASSISTANCE!
Old 09 Nov 2017, 12:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELLLP! GAS ODOR IN CABIN, ON A/C ONLY!

You might want to verify if the odor is gas fumes.

Chrysler has a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that might have something to do with your problem:

NUMBER: 24-013-05
GROUP: Heating & A/C
DATE: August 4, 2005

SUBJECT:
A/C Cooling Coil Odor

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting for leaves and other foreign material, cleaning, and
treating the cooling coil and housing.

MODELS:

2002 (PG) PT Cruiser (International Markets)
1995 - 2005 (PL) Neon/SX 2.0
2001 - 2006 (PT) PT Cruiser
2001 - 2006 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2001 - 2006 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
2001 - 2005 (ST) Sebring Coupe/Stratus Coupe

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some vehicle operators may experience a musty odor from the A/C system, primarily at
start up in hot and humid climates. This odor may be the result of microbial growth on the
cooling coil. During normal A/C system operation, condensation forms in and around the
A/C cooling coil. When airborne pollutants mix with this condensation, bacteria and fungi
growth begins and odor results.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the operator describes, or the technician experiences a musty odor when operating the
A/C system, perform the appropriate Repair Procedure based on the vehicle model.

Some members have taken a good dose of Lysol sprayed down the cabin air intake and seems to help clear it up.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 Nov 2017 at 12:39 am.
Old 09 Nov 2017, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormWind View Post
Gentlemen (and all the rest of us) :
I am the happy owner of a 2005 PT Cruiser, Turbo ragtop. I have a problem, and my Haynes manual doesn't seem to address it...You should know right now, this is:
1. My first PT Cruiser,
2. My first convertible, and also
3. My first turbo ANYTHING! It's a lot of fun to drive, especially since I live in Arizona...
NOW TO THE PROBLEM:
When I am at a stoplight or parked with engine and A/C on, within seconds I get an odor of gasoline/exhaust fumes coming from the vents; this happens only when the A/C is running - never with just the blower.
I'm willing to listen to anything you guys might have to offer in the way of cause and/or cure ( A 'rod-jockey buddy mentioned it might be a clogged fuel filter...?)
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ASSISTANCE!
I had this same issue in my vert accept it didn't matter if the AC was on or not. The first thing to check is for fuel leaks under the hood. Also, assure the rubber piece in front of the cowling is in place. This helps keep air and vapor from the engine compartment from getting into the vent intake in the cowling. Since I have a raised cowl hood, this doesn't seal on my PT. On your PT, you may need the AC on in order for enough fumes to condensate before you can smell it.

The most likely place for fuel to leak under the hood is the plastic supply line running from the firewall to the fuel injector rail. You will need to check this with the engine running but still cold. Otherwise, a small leak may be evaporating as soon as it forms due to the heat so you never see it. But of course, you should be able to smell it.

If no joy, check out the fuel rail. You may have a crack in the injector rail or a leaking injector o-ring. Mine was a small crack where the injector o-ring cup is welded to the rail.

While under the hood, also assure the green cap is on the tank evap. testing port on the firewall and assure none of the related hoses are damaged. This system is supposed to keep the tank under a slight negative pressure to help prevent vapor from escaping.

And one more thing to check for is a cranked "turbofold". The integrated exhaust manifold/turbo charger housing is know to crack. Many have been report here. This may let exhaust escape under the hood.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Nov 2017 at 04:19 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 08:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Handy, I agree with your fuel line by the firewall diagnosis. There is a damper there that in time the crimp can weep fuel.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a link to where and how I replaced mine. No, it doesn't meet "racing" standards that require braided line and locking fittings. But it's much superior to the original plastic line and fittings. I've made this upgrade on both my current PT and my last one.

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Also, if you follow that project thread to the end, you will see where I replaced my leaking fuel injector rail.