PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Worth to scrap old rims?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2017, 08:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Worth to scrap old rims?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get rid of my stock chrome rims that are absolutely awful. The chrome has almost completely peeled off and they can't hold air if their life depended on it. I've never brought anything to a metal scrap yard before, but does anyone have an idea of what I should expect to get for them? Think I could get $20 for all 4?

Thanks

Sound System
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 10" MTX subwoofers, Rockford Fosgate P1T-S Tweets, Rockford Fosgate 6x8"s , Rockford Fosgate 6.5"'s, AudioControl 24XS crossover

Old 10 Nov 2017, 08:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Worth to scrap old rims?

im pretty sure those are steel wheels with the plastic cover on them ?? if so, probably not even that much.. steel is like a couple cents a pound.. youd be lucky to walk away with a couple of dollars.. better off just throwing them in a dumpster... if your take them to an actual scrap yard alot of times they want alot of personal info from ya so they can pay you..

or keep em and make something cool like a table or whatever..
Old 10 Nov 2017, 10:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

try it. i give a guy random stuff to scrap. he makes enough with small amounts of metal that he keeps coming back.

Capture.JPG
Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If your chrome rims are the factory ones that came on your 2001 Limited, then they are aluminum with chrome plating. The were made by American Racing that makes many aftermarket wheels. Many of these early factory PT wheels seem to peel after a while. Based on reports on this forum, this seems to be much more prevalent in northern areas where they heavily salt the roads. Here in the south, they seem to hold up fairly well.

If these are the ones you have, they should be worth their weight in aluminum. It's also possible to refinish them either with a spray-on paint or epoxy, have them replated, or stripped and polished. But these wheels are so common, it would be cheaper just to buy a good used set. So I figure selling them for scrap aluminum is likely the best choice. If me, I'd just throw them in the "bone pile" and then take them to a scrap dealer when I collect a load.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Nov 2017 at 11:32 am.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 08:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

I ended up taking the chrome plated factory wheels from my '01 to a metal recycler a couple of years ago. I think I got a little over $30 for them. They were peeling badly and started to leak at the beads. Once the tires were off, you could see the bead area on the rims were shot, very badly pitted. Obviously, from the northeast, salted roads, the PT is a daily driver and we don't have a garage.