Advertisements
Headlight ?

Like Tree3Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2017, 08:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Headlight ?

Did the lens cleaning (look great), now I want to replace my High and Lows. What do you use? Would like the better than OEM. Thanks!
Old 10 Nov 2017, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Headlight ?

If I remember correctly (a few years back), I replaced my lights, low beams and fog lights with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. I first did just the fog lights and it made the low beams almost yellow in comparison so bought the low beam lights and replaced them.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

for brighter headlights using your current bulbs: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

for brighter bulbs if you're willing to trim the tab on the bulb base a bit:
How to Modify HIR bulb bases

a much better forum to read about lighting than this site:
https://www.google.com/search?q=9006...owerforums.com

i won't use sylvania bulbs unless i'm in a pinch. i feel they are only popular because they're pretty much the only bulb locally in stock.

you should read the first link, check actual voltage drop at the bulb connector, and then decide what is causing the dim lights. when i bypassed connector C103 under the dash, my headlight brightness was dramatically increased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
it's interesting, i've noticed that my headlights are WAAAY brighter now. i never realized they were dim before.

Last edited by rob302; 10 Nov 2017 at 11:44 am. Reason: had same link twice
Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

For headlights, the Sylvania ZXE brand are some of the brightest and whitest conventional halogen bulbs you can get that don't have a risk of burning up you headlight assemblies. I love them.

Old 10 Nov 2017, 12:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

handy those are not some of the brightest. they're clever marketing. no bulb with a blue tint will ever be as bright as an identical bulb with no blue tint.
Sylvania ZXE bulbs

i studied up for about a month on there before getting philips xtreme's for my rustang. other options were osram night breakers and GE nighthawks. ultimately they legally only have a 30% widow for lumens. stock are rated 55w. H4 bulbs are all supposed to put out 1000 lumens. to be DOT compliant, they must put out between 850 and 1150 lumens. that is why i recommended voltage mods since crappy wiring and underrated connectors and switches plague the PT. the newer HIR bulb is not DOT limited to 1000 lumens, and will be the brightest option for stock wattage. i plan to upgrade to these in the future
Old 10 Nov 2017, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the deal Rob. I've had three sets of these in three different cars and all have been very bright. So bright in fact, folks have even commented on it. And this is very important to me because my eyesight is weak and I drive 55 miles to and from work in the dark both ways this time of year.

Like you, I did my homework and have tried some of the supposed "brighter" bulbs. Some where brighter to begin with but then dulled. And I had one set burn up my fog light assemblies. The Sylvanias have never done this, but remain very bright even after years of use.

One reason not a lot of folks use these is due to the price in stores. Often they approach $50 a set. But usually, I've been able to get them at half that price or less online. So from a cost perspective, they are comparable to others as long you can wait to have them delivered.

On the issue of tint, a well-designed blue filter is going to mainly block light at the very end of the visible spectrum. So yes, there's a little loss of light in the yellow spectrum, but the impact on overall visible luminosity can be low. The same would be true of an LED or HID bulb that does not product light in the yellow spectrum. Either the yellow light is there or it's not. It doesn't matter if it was filters or never generated to begin with.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of these. And this is why I recommend them and why I use the every time I can. But as with everything we say on forums, it's just my opinion.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Nov 2017 at 12:53 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
For headlights, the Sylvania ZXE brand are some of the brightest and whitest conventional halogen bulbs you can get that don't have a risk of burning up you headlight assemblies. I love them.
Handy_Cruiser, you must like replacing headlights all the time. Some of the complaints of these bulbs is they are failing too early lasting as short as 18 months. Why are you recommending these headlights without warning members on this forum of these limitations? You must like having other members do your experiments for you.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Nov 2017 at 01:04 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Handy_Cruiser, you must like replacing headlights all the time. Some of the complaints of these bulbs is they are failing too early lasting as short as 18 months. Why are you recommending these headlights without warning members on this forum of these limitations? You must like having other members do your experiments for you.
Steve,

At some point you need to stop trying to find fault with all my posts. I've tried being nice to you because I figure you've been duped by another member as many of us were in the past. It can take a long time to see the real truth. But you are not and can not be nearly as detrimental to the forum as that person is. If you want join in on this conversation and discuss headlight bulbs as an adult, that would be great. I would enjoy that and I welcome your opinion more than you know. But please give up on this silly school yard stuff. You are better than that.
soyomb likes this.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 01:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have run the Sylvania SilverStar bulbs in my PT for several years now and have been very satisfied with them. When they need changing again, I may switch to their SilverStar Ultra. The low beams and driving lights are easy to change, but it's a little tight to get in to change the high beams.

I use the driving lights on my PT as DRL and have them on all the time while I'm driving, day or night. The SilverStar 9145, on the back of the package, have a lifetime rating of 250 hours. These bulbs usually last me 12-18 months, but again, I have them burning all the time while driving.

The last time that I replaced them (09/02/17) I then set my UltraGauge to monitor the vehicle run time so when one of them burns out, I can see how many hours of use I got out of them. As of this date, I have 102 hours of vehicle running time on the driving light bulbs that I put in this past September.

Their high and low beam bulbs do not have any hour rating on the package. However, both packages do state that they are guaranteed for 12 months from date of purchase. If they expire in that time frame, then you can contact them for a refund.

However, I also learned that their warranty has some restrictions on where you purchased your bulbs from. From their website:

https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/home/autoinfo.jsp

"Satisfaction - ​At OSRAM SYLVANIA, your complete satisfaction is our business. SYLVANIA guarantees your complete satisfaction for up to 12 months from the date of purchase. If you are not completely satisfied, return this product to the place of purchase or contact SYLVANIA at 1-800-729-3777 or online. Proof of purchase is required. Purchases from EBAY® or other online auction sites are not covered. EBAY® (as well as other online auction sites) are consumer to consumer marketplaces lacking quality control guidelines and expertise. Purchases made on Amazon.com must state: ‘ships from and sold by Amazon.com’ in order to be considered an authorized retailer."

I've purchased a lot of bulbs on Ebay because of the lower prices.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 11 Nov 2017, 01:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Steve,

At some point you need to stop trying to find fault with all my posts. I've tried being nice to you because I figure you've been duped by another member as many of us were in the past. It can take a long time to see the real truth. But you are not and can not be nearly as detrimental to the forum as that person is. If you want join in on this conversation and discuss headlight bulbs as an adult, that would be great. I would enjoy that and I welcome your opinion more than you know. But please give up on this silly school yard stuff. You are better than that.
You know Handy, you are completely out of control, crying to the moderator every time you don't like what someone posts. You also ask the moderator to delete any posts that you don't like. Shame on you. You know as well as I do that the bulbs you recommend do not last that long but all you know how to do is put down other members when you don't like what they post. You don't care if other members don't know this and learn the hard way.