Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door locks, RKE and Convertible top questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2017, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Door locks, RKE and Convertible top questions

Have looked at all the other threads, some of which are quite old, but still helpful. Figured the best way to get people looking is with a new post.
So here it is:
I have a Recently added a 2005 PT Convertible GT to my collection. This is the first time owning a convertible, so there are new problems.
First is the top. I can hear the motor running, but nothing happens. Have turned the bleeder screw both ways and still the same. Figure it mat just need fluid, but cant seem to find out what type of fluid the hydraulic system takes. Anyone know?
Second is the power door locks. I can here the clicking from the RKE module. The horn chirps when locking with remote, and interior lights come on when unlocking with remote, but locks dont unlock or lock. Have replaced it with one I had from a 2001 sedan, with no change. Know it works, and have the key fob that worked with it. Disconnected the battery for awhile too, to see if the system just needed resetting. Still the same. Dont know if it needs a different RKE or if its another problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Third is the trunk lid. The remote opener in the glove box doesnt owrk and the third tail light doesnt work either. There was a post about a bad ground, but didnt explain which wire needed to ne grounded. Again, any help would be great.
Thanks,
Now own a Vanilla 2005 GT convertible, a Charcoal 2004 Classic, a Purple 2005 Classic done like a 40's cruiser, a silver 2005 base model parts car, and a purple 2001 Limited parts car.

Last edited by vinnie; 10 Nov 2017 at 03:36 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 06:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Door locks, RKE and Convertible top questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
Have looked at all the other threads, some of which are quite old, but still helpful. Figured the best way to get people looking is with a new post.
So here it is:
I have a Recently added a 2005 PT Convertible GT to my collection. This is the first time owning a convertible, so there are new problems.
First is the top. I can hear the motor running, but nothing happens. Have turned the bleeder screw both ways and still the same. Figure it mat just need fluid, but cant seem to find out what type of fluid the hydraulic system takes. Anyone know?
Second is the power door locks. I can here the clicking from the RKE module. The horn chirps when locking with remote, and interior lights come on when unlocking with remote, but locks dont unlock or lock. Have replaced it with one I had from a 2001 sedan, with no change. Know it works, and have the key fob that worked with it. Disconnected the battery for awhile too, to see if the system just needed resetting. Still the same. Dont know if it needs a different RKE or if its another problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Third is the trunk lid. The remote opener in the glove box doesnt owrk and the third tail light doesnt work either. There was a post about a bad ground, but didnt explain which wire needed to ne grounded. Again, any help would be great.
Thanks,
Now own a Vanilla 2005 GT convertible, a Charcoal 2004 Classic, a Purple 2005 Classic done like a 40's cruiser, a silver 2005 base model parts car, and a purple 2001 Limited parts car.
The convert is a different beast all together. The RKE is not the same from the earlier car to the convert.
As for the top motor running and no movement I would look for a fluid leak of some sort..... the motor is a real PITA to service. The screw you were turning is just an air bleed. I'm not at work right now to dive into the service manual to scope further but send me a reminder SUNDAY and Monday I see what I can find.

Lastly was someone messing with the wiring of your car???? 3rd brake light is all LED and should work without fail. Chase the wiring from the light to where it enters the body on the left side inside the trunk. The glove box button not working also leads me to think someone was messing where they shouldn't.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With at least 3 different problems with the Pt Cruiser I would suggest having a different thread for each. If you don't it will get confusing and make it harder to keep track of all the responses to each different problem.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 06:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Posted a reply to you about the top in the convertible forum.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your help.
I read the convertible forum. Will track down the fluid, and yes I did know it was made by Mercedes.
Saw the forums on grounding, so Ill try that this weekend.
As for the RKE, are you stating the convertible uses a different one altogether, or I just need one from a 2005, which I also could pull out of my other car to check?
Thanks again.

Last edited by vinnie; 10 Nov 2017 at 07:40 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by My02RedRide View Post
The convert is a different beast all together. The RKE is not the same from the earlier car to the convert.
As for the top motor running and no movement I would look for a fluid leak of some sort..... the motor is a real PITA to service. The screw you were turning is just an air bleed. I'm not at work right now to dive into the service manual to scope further but send me a reminder SUNDAY and Monday I see what I can find.

Lastly was someone messing with the wiring of your car???? 3rd brake light is all LED and should work without fail. Chase the wiring from the light to where it enters the body on the left side inside the trunk. The glove box button not working also leads me to think someone was messing where they shouldn't.
So are you saying a 2005 module will work, or does it have to be a module from a convertible?

Last edited by vinnie; 10 Nov 2017 at 07:40 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 07:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
So are you saying a 2005 module will work, or does it have to be a module from a convertible?
I would keep apples with apples and not introduce an orange into the fray.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 08:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Responded to your second thread question dedicated to replacing the remote key less entry module.

The solution might be just replacing a burned out #3, 20 amp fuse in the in dash fuse box. Give it a peek.

Happy PTin', ptprice

th.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.