PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Headlight ? #2

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2017, 09:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Headlight ? #2

Thanks very much for you comments on my first Post, I really don't want to beat this question to death, but now I'm confused! Everyone is talking about the Sylvania brand, but I also see Philips brand. the below is my confusion;
1) Sylvania 'Silver Star' 2pk about $20.00
2) Sylvania 'Silver Star Ultra' 2pk about $25.00
3) Sylvania 'Silver Star ZXE' 2pk about $35.00

4) Philips 9006SLL (XS) @ about $3.25
Old 11 Nov 2017, 09:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Headlight ? #2

Before the children start again. . .

Go Here:

RockAuto

Click on Chrysler

Click on the year of your car

Click on PT Cruiser

Click on Electrical-Bulb and Socket

Click on Headlamp Bulb

Select Phillips or Mopar (note: you pay a premium for Mopar)

Hope this helps! (just get the long life Phillips you found above and save shipping. . . hint, hint)

Last edited by the3dgm; 11 Nov 2017 at 09:50 am.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 10:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The best advise is to simply use replacement bulbs. I have yet to see that those who change to the brighter bulbs go to the trouble to re-adjust their head lights to the new "high" illumination stated bulbs. Also the lens are usually not in the best shape. The PT Cruiser replacement head lights are cheap enough and when replaced offer excellent illumination with just a standard replacement bulb.

I also want to throw in that most PT cruiser on this forum have pretty fair amount of age in years and wear on the suspension parts. Generally this will lead to the vehicle being somewhat lower and not even as when it was new. Many times this effects how we view how are headlights are performing.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
Before the children start again. . .

Go Here:

RockAuto

Click on Chrysler

Click on the year of your car

Click on PT Cruiser

Click on Electrical-Bulb and Socket

Click on Headlamp Bulb

Select Phillips or Mopar (note: you pay a premium for Mopar)

Hope this helps! (just get the long life Phillips you found above and save shipping. . . hint, hint)
For my PT, the MOPAR brand doesn't appear in the menu, however, for the Philips that are available, it states this:

"PHILIPS Warranty Information
Registered Philips Vision LED bulbs that fail as a result of a product defect in non-commercial applications during the 12-year period after purchase are covered by the PHILIPS limited warranty. Register your product by mailing in warranty registration form (click "Warranty Details") within 30 days of purchase to benefit from the 12-year limited warranty. Non-LED bulbs are not covered under warranty."

Then it has a link that directs you to the Philips website. But on the Philips website, I can't find the warranty info. Is it actually a 12 year warranty from Philips or was that a misprint on the RockAuto website and it should actually be 12 months?

If a 12 year warranty is true, then one would never have to buy bulbs again as the 12 year warranty would almost guarantee perpetual replacement when they burned out.

If true, I may just have to switch to Philips

But I do find it hard to believe that a bulb as cheaply priced as the Philips would then offer a 12 year warranty.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 11 Nov 2017 at 10:32 am.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

rcksteine stated he needed to subtrack some run time from his findings, making the use of the bulb even shorter. I would also suggest that the act of turning on and off will shortening the life of any bulb. Because of the expansion and contraction. Just a thought.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Nov 2017, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Some members have posted that when their headlights quit working they found out that they had been driving with only one headlight working and didn't know the other one had burned out. At night this can be dangerous as if the remaining light bulb burns out and you are driving at night in an area where having headlights is critical.

This is why I was surprised when I found out recently that some of these bulbs only last approx. 18 months. I don't like putting my family in danger just because these bulbs are brighter. I still have the original bulbs in both my 2007 & 2008 Pt Cruisers and I routinely check both of them to make sure both headlights are working properly.

These threads are great making members aware of aftermarket parts and how long they last if members don't replace with OEM parts. I appreciate it when members let other members know if there is a different in how long a suggest aftermarket part will last so they can make a decision on which way to go.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 Nov 2017 at 11:33 am.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
rcksteine stated he needed to subtrack some run time from his findings, making the use of the bulb even shorter. I would also suggest that the act of turning on and off will shortening the life of any bulb. Because of the expansion and contraction. Just a thought.
They haven't burned out yet, but so far I have 102 hours of vehicle run time in 74 days on the driving bulbs that are rated for 250 hours. That's a little over 1-1/2 hours per day of using the lights. I have used these bulbs (Sylvania SilverStar 9145) in the past and they typically last me 12-18 months. Using the info I have so far, in 12 months I will have almost 550 hours on the bulbs. We'll see how far they go, but they would exceed the hours rated limit, but not their 12 month warranty period.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 11 Nov 2017, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Some members have posted that when their headlights quit working they found out that they had been driving with only one headlight working and didn't know the other one had burned out. At night this can be dangerous as if the remaining light bulb burns out and you are driving at night in an area where having headlights is critical.

This is why I was surprised when I found out recently that some of these bulbs only last approx. 18 months. I don't like putting my family in danger just because these bulbs are brighter. I still have the original bulbs in both my 2007 & 2008 Pt Cruisers and I routinely check both of them to make sure both headlights are working properly.
But that would also depend on how much you are actually using the lights. Never turn them on, and theoretically they would last indefinitely.

When one of my bulbs burns out, I replace them in pairs. I don't know how many times I've encountered other vehicles where the lights are different colors due to different brand or age of one over the other if not replaced in pairs.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 11 Nov 2017, 11:42 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
But I do find it hard to believe that a bulb as cheaply priced as the Philips would then offer a 12 year warranty.
you're looking at an LED bulb. that would likely be ballasts, wiring, headaches, etc. he listed a $3 bulb which certainly are not the philips xtreme vision i was saying were brighter. the links in my first post in the locked thread are still the route i'd go.

i like the $3 bulbs though. new bulbs are generally brighter than used bulbs

Last edited by rob302; 11 Nov 2017 at 11:51 am.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 11:49 am
Regular Cruiser

rckstein Phillips site says 8 years on the limited warranty, however, it does not say if that is for all, regular or long life. (I think it's for all)

OK that's for Any Philips Ultinon LED light

Last edited by the3dgm; 11 Nov 2017 at 11:56 am.