Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! Badyear tires strike again!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2004, 09:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Help! Badyear tires strike again!

Ok! That's it! Im done with Badyear tires!!! In the less than 2 years I've had my PT, I've had 8 Badyear Eagle tires on it. Of the original 4, 3 had to be replaced when I did a panic stop and they developed "flat spots". The 4th had to be replaced when a belt separated. Today, when having the tires rotated, another tire was found to have a belt separating...I think it was one of the "flat spot" replacements... This doesn't count numerous flats, I know all tires have flats, but these Badyears seem to attract steel screws and nails, more than any other tires.
I'm thinking about trying Cooper tires...any thoughts on this? Any other suggestions about good tires?

SRG
Old 09 Jul 2004, 10:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Tirerack.com has a rating system for tires and some tires are cheaper have pretty good reviews.

In addition, you might also want to consider the tire pressure you inflate your front and rears. I drive a GT model and keep the front tires roughly 2 PSI higher than the rears, since the front is heavier and bears the brunt of the weight on stops.
Old 09 Jul 2004, 10:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you have a GT, don't forget that DCX recommends 38 psi front and rear, not the 32 psi that NA PT's are rated for. I try to keep mine at 40-42 psi.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 09 Jul 2004, 10:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Tire pressure isn't a problem. I keep them at the recommended 34psi. I'm not an abusive hot-rodder either, these tires just don't seem to be standing normal usage. Either that, or I've been incredibly unlucky.

SRG
Old 10 Jul 2004, 09:24 am
Senior Cruiser

SRG,I'm a big fan of Cooper tires.I have Cooper Cobra's on
now. I put the good4ayears on in the winter.When they go bad
I'll replace them with Coopers.One thing I've read is when you
rotate your good4ayears go from front to back do not criss cross
like it says in your manual.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 10 Jul 2004, 09:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Jimbo, I too am a big fan of Coopers. Had them on all my cars since the 70's. I'll be replacing my Goodyears towards the end of the year and Coopers will be going on.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 01:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SRG

Ok! That's it! Im done with Badyear tires!!! In the less than 2 years I've had my PT, I've had 8 Badyear Eagle tires on it. Of the original 4, 3 had to be replaced when I did a panic stop and they developed "flat spots". The 4th had to be replaced when a belt separated. Today, when having the tires rotated, another tire was found to have a belt separating...I think it was one of the "flat spot" replacements... This doesn't count numerous flats, I know all tires have flats, but these Badyears seem to attract steel screws and nails, more than any other tires.
I'm thinking about trying Cooper tires...any thoughts on this? Any other suggestions about good tires?

SRG
I took the good years off as soon as I got my PT and gave them to the guy for changing and balancing the new ones i put on, Alot nicer tire now Michelins
Old 10 Jul 2004, 09:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome to the club. I have a 2004 touring edition and at 7,000 miles I replaced the Goodyear with Michelin Hydro Edge Tires. A 1000 % improvement over the Goodyear. The only slight problemis a little tire noise between 45 and 55...but I mean a little....These tires handle good ride smooth and boy do they do good in the rain....The size I have are 205/55/16.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 10:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Today I bought 2 Cooper Lifeline Touring SLE T-rated tires. I'm planning to get the other 2 for the rear soon. They cost me $85 each. They seem to ride pretty good, but it's hard to tell how quiet they are, since I still have the BadYears on the back.

I had them save the other front tire that is still "good". I figured if any of the BadYears on my wifes PT goes bad, at least I'll have a replacement. It was ironic when I picked it up, I noticed that this was the last tire I had patched, just a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the replies;
SRG

Old 10 Jul 2004, 11:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I cast another vote for Michelin. Have had them on longer than the Good-for-a-years, and they show hardly any wear. (have 75,000 miles on my PT now).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles