PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Timing Belt, Belt to tight, Won't fit over engine

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2017, 07:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default 2006 Timing Belt, Belt to tight, Won't fit over engine

Honestly getting pretty depressed and hopeless, I cant fit the belt over, its too tight even with the tensioner loose as possible.

I bought a new tensioner, pulley, and belt. Still won't fit. For the life of me I cannot put this belt on.

I watched videos and am trying to put the belt on the tensioner last.

Getting depressed, Tried everything imo. Thinking about scraping the car, Just doesn't seem do-able.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 07:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Timing Belt, Belt to tight, Won't fit over engine

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

This might take a couple of trys but loosen the bolt holding the tensioner pulley and keep loosening it until it almost comes off. When that happens, the pulley can be tilted down to allow the belt to slip over it. Once the belt is over the tensioner pulley, there is more than enough slack to easily tighten the pulley bolt back on.

I ruined one belt trying to force it over the pulley using a credit card, putty knife and finally a screwdriver. By then I felt the belt was probably no longer fully perfect so instead of risking it, I dropped $35 for a new one. The new one was actually a tiny bit more pliable and I was able to barely slip it over the pulley. I figured out the trick during the next 2 tries of removing and installing the timing belt.
RickinPA likes this.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 08:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

This might take a couple of trys but loosen the bolt holding the tensioner pulley and keep loosening it until it almost comes off. When that happens, the pulley can be tilted down to allow the belt to slip over it. Once the belt is over the tensioner pulley, there is more than enough slack to easily tighten the pulley bolt back on.

I ruined one belt trying to force it over the pulley using a credit card, putty knife and finally a screwdriver. By then I felt the belt was probably no longer fully perfect so instead of risking it, I dropped $35 for a new one. The new one was actually a tiny bit more pliable and I was able to barely slip it over the pulley. I figured out the trick during the next 2 tries of removing and installing the timing belt.

I have 2 belts both by "Cloyes"

I did a bit more research, not a well reviewed belt, Only 1 amazon review that says its a quarter inch too small and that they bought a different brand and it works fine.

Going to buy a different brand. Honestly makes sense to me worth a try, This belt is super duper tight
Old 15 Nov 2017, 08:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
I have 2 belts both by "Cloyes"

I did a bit more research, not a well reviewed belt, Only 1 amazon review that says its a quarter inch too small and that they bought a different brand and it works fine.

Going to buy a different brand. Honestly makes sense to me worth a try, This belt is super duper tight
This is one job where you don't want to cheap out on parts, but get the best that you can afford as you certainly don't want to have to tear it open again.

While the area is torn apart, are you replacing all the other items as well (timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, cam seals, crank seal and center motor mount with a new bolt)?
rsrocket1 likes this.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 08:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
This is one job where you don't want to cheap out on parts, but get the best that you can afford as you certainly don't want to have to tear it open again.

While the area is torn apart, are you replacing all the other items as well (timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, cam seals, crank seal and center motor mount with a new bolt)?
Well my dad always ordered parts from a certain website, Website/seller itself has good service, They only have 1 choice of timing belt for PT Cruiser. so I bought it, when I took it apart I decided to do waterpump, Idler pully,and tensioner. CHeaper to buy it as a kit with another belt from Cloyes again. So I have two of these garbage wrongly sized belts (only logical explanation). I think the belt is too small like the review I saw for it. I live in Canada, its hard to find all selections of brands. I bought a gates belt just now, should come in Friday. Costed me double as it would in US. The two videos for timing belts I have seen use gates belts.

If this doesn't work I'm torching the car

If anyone wants 2 timing belts that are too small, Even though there the right belt, Hit me up.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The easy answer to to remove the idler pulley completely. Then install the belt and then reinstall to the idler pulley. And of course tighten the tensioner last. This works extremely well. Of course, I was uses a Gates blue racing belt all three times I did it.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 09:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Not to doubt you but I'll bet if you count the teeth on the belt, it would be the same as with your original. 1/4" too small would mean there would be 1 less tooth on the belt which is unlikely. Anyone making a timing belt would know they have tight tolerances but on this car 1/16" inch seems to be the difference between slipping the belt over the pulley and not.

You would also think that there should be a way to bring that pulley in another 1/4" and put it back out without making the tensioner get too oblong. A fixed 1/4" retraction/extension would have been easy to do but would probably add another $5 to the car which Chrysler would never tolerate.

If you can't do the tilting pulley trick, try removing the pulley wheel all together, slip the belt onto the pulley and see if you can thread the bolt back onto the tensioner bracket. You have nothing to lose because it's all going up in flames anyway.

Good luck
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 09:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Not to doubt you but I'll bet if you count the teeth on the belt, it would be the same as with your original. 1/4" too small would mean there would be 1 less tooth on the belt which is unlikely. Anyone making a timing belt would know they have tight tolerances but on this car 1/16" inch seems to be the difference between slipping the belt over the pulley and not.

You would also think that there should be a way to bring that pulley in another 1/4" and put it back out without making the tensioner get too oblong. A fixed 1/4" retraction/extension would have been easy to do but would probably add another $5 to the car which Chrysler would never tolerate.

If you can't do the tilting pulley trick, try removing the pulley wheel all together, slip the belt onto the pulley and see if you can thread the bolt back onto the tensioner bracket. You have nothing to lose because it's all going up in flames anyway.

Good luck
Is that how they stay warm in Canada
Old 15 Nov 2017, 09:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cloyes is a great brand. I find it hard to believe they'd make a timing belt the wrong size. Timing components is all they do.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 09:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

In trying to install my belts, I found that slipping the belt toward the outer edge of the water pump gave JUST enough wiggle room to slip the belt onto the idler pulley. It ain't easy in in any case. and just when you get it on you find you get to do it again because you one tooth off.
Take a break, have a beer and try again... Good luck.

If it was easy my sister would be doing belt replacements.
rambojoe and rsrocket1 like this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh