PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Removing the front knuckles for bearing replacement (picture heavy)

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2017, 01:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Removing the front knuckles for bearing replacement (picture heavy)

Note :
There was a slight detour between disassembly and final reassembly
So after this post, you can jump to this final post for the reassembly pictures and description.

The 09 PT Cruiser is growling on the right front side at speeds above 40 mph and makes a worse sound veering to one side and it goes away when veering the other way (I think it was worse veering to to left).
I bought new hubs and bearings last year in anticipation of this day so I called the suspension shop to see if they can press the bearings out and new ones in if I brought in the parts. They said yes but they are only open Monday-Friday.

Soo, at 6AM, I go out and put the wheel chocks on the PT

Jack up the car and put it on jackstands

Remove the wheel and take note of how the cotter pin is holding the castle nut on.

Straighten out the cotter pin and remove it.

Cotter pin, castle nut, wave washer (DON'T FORGET OR IGNORE THE WAVE WASHER LIKE I DID ON THE OTHER SIDE. Now I can't find it).

You can have someone step on the brake and use a breaker bar to loosen the hub nut, or stick a screwdriver to hold the rotor/hub in place while loosening the nut or just use an impact wrench to take the nut off. I used #3 on the left side but I used a breaker bar on the right side because it was 6:15AM and I didn't want to rattle the neighborhood.

Caliper housing off and bungied out of the way (you can use zip ties too)

Everything off. Now to remove the knuckle

Tie rod and heat shield off. You might need to use a mallot to pound it out. Keep the nut on and threaded so you pound on the nut and not the threaded bolt.

Strut nuts loosened. Loosen the nuts, don't turn the bolt head, they are splined and not made to spin.

Remove the pinch bolt holding the ball joint pin.

You can spread the "pinchers" to the ball joint stud by gently tapping a slotted screwdriver into the slot. It doesn't take much at all so don't overdo it.

There are so many degrees of freedom, it's a little perplexing figuring out how to pull the knuckle off the axle but if you know the axle splines are loose in the hub and not frozen, you can turn the knuckle way over to one side and the axle easily slides out. Then you can lift the knuckle up off the ball joint so long as you are sure the ball joint pin is not frozen to the "pinchers". Since I replaced my lower control arms last year I knew nothing was rusted and welded so this job was super easy.

The left hub spun quietly but the right hub was noisy and did not spin freely so I think I got the right diagnosis (bad bearing).

Took the knuckles and new bearings/hubs into the suspension shop and will pick them up this afternoon. I'd better look for a replacement wave washer too.

More to follow.

If you simply want to see how reassembly goes without the dramatics, go to this post.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 20 Nov 2017 at 05:22 pm.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 03:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Update

The shop called and the bearings are installed. They fit fine. Thanks NitroPT. These are the bearings I bought as part of my first shopping list that you reviewed.

I should be able to put these back on this afternoon (hopefully before dark) and see if it fixed the growl.

I'm going to stop by Autozone to buy a CV axle nut kit in order to get another wave washer. $8 for the whole kit which includes the castle nut, cotter pin, axle nut, main washer and wave washer. Better than $15 from the Chrysler dealership for just the castle nut and wave washer.
chuzz, Carnut, rob302 and 1 others like this.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 04:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Removing the front knuckles for bearing replacement (picture heavy)

Very nice write up with pictures!

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 Nov 2017, 10:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Knuckles have nice new hubs on them and they spin nice and smoothly

Plus I was able to get a wave washer at Autozone. The washer came as part of a Dorman Kit #05183 for $8 (the part in the lower right of the picture)

It's too dark to work on it tonight so I'll do it tomorrow and see if it cures the problem.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 11:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Good write-up to this point. I'll be looking forward to "the rest of the story" as I am going to have to do this myself before too long. Thanks!

RVC

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 18 Nov 2017, 03:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default UGGHH!!! DISASTER

Putting the knuckles back on was not too difficult. Needed a couple of more tricks which I will share with my final write up.

After everything is back together, I took it for a test drive and heard both a loud screeech and grinding sound!

Lifted the left side and the wheel would not move. Lifted the right side and the wheel spun freely. Took the left front tire off and the brake pads off and saw this with the caliper frame rubbing against the rotor.

Took off the right side down to the caliper frame and plenty of clearance between the frame and the rotor.

So I removed the rotor and checked the space between the hub and the knuckle on the right side 0.535"

On the left side 0.660"!!!!!!!!!

I think the shop didn't press the hub/bearing all the way in

Going to have to remove the knuckles again in any case.

They are closed today and tomorrow and my son was going to drive down to the bay area on Monday morning but this won't be fixed until later than that.

The bad news is I'm stuck until Monday. The good news is I didn't screw up.
Still better than paying $500 for having the job done by someone else.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: UGGHH!!! DISASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Putting the knuckles back on was not too difficult. Needed a couple of more tricks which I will share with my final write up.

After everything is back together, I took it for a test drive and heard both a loud screeech and grinding sound!

Lifted the left side and the wheel would not move. Lifted the right side and the wheel spun freely. Took the left front tire off and the brake pads off and saw this with the caliper frame rubbing against the rotor.

Took off the right side down to the caliper frame and plenty of clearance between the frame and the rotor.

So I removed the rotor and checked the space between the hub and the knuckle on the right side 0.535"

On the left side 0.660"!!!!!!!!!

I think the shop didn't press the hub/bearing all the way in

Going to have to remove the knuckles again in any case.

They are closed today and tomorrow and my son was going to drive down to the bay area on Monday morning but this won't be fixed until later than that.

The bad news is I'm stuck until Monday. The good news is I didn't screw up.
Still better than paying $500 for having the job done by someone else.
This information will save other members time and possible damage by checking the dimensions and comparing before reinstalling. Thank you!
Old 18 Nov 2017, 06:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Well, it's back apart. Took no time to disassemble (super easy when you know exactly what to do). Looks like I'll have to wait until Monday morning to get this resolved.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 09:47 am
Senior Cruiser

can you see that the bearing isn't all the way in place? Seems weird that the shop wouldn't get that pressed in all the way, but anything is possible... someone got distracted and didn't finish the job? Maybe it's the wrong thickness bearing?
Hopefully its a quick fix!

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 19 Nov 2017, 11:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default rcktpwrd, you win a prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
can you see that the bearing isn't all the way in place? Seems weird that the shop wouldn't get that pressed in all the way, but anything is possible... someone got distracted and didn't finish the job? Maybe it's the wrong thickness bearing?
Hopefully its a quick fix!
I didn't measure the depth of both bearings, I only checked the diameter of one bearing to ensure it would fit. Both parts ordered were the exact same part number from Rock Auto, I'll go out and check again.

Just checked and lookee here. The correct one (RH) is on the left and the "bad" one is on the right:

In fact, it looks like they didn't press the left bearing in far enough.

And from the picture I took when I removed the LH knuckle, it looks like the concave part should be flush with the inner part of the bearing.

It's also strange because this is what both hubs should have looked like. I ordered 2 identical parts from Rock Auto.
Notice the inside of the left is cone shaped and the inside of the right is rounded.

Shoot. I also brought the boxes into the shop so I no longer have them.
This maybe my bad because RA may have sent the wrong part, but my bad because I didn't check parts. I went and bought another spindle from Autozone ($42) and will take it in Monday morning. It may not be the shop's fault so I'm prepared to suck it up and pay 50% more for another press job.
rcktpwrd likes this.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 19 Nov 2017 at 07:33 pm.