Belt Is On, And Timed Perfectly!!!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By ajhockey3
  • 2 Post By rsrocket1
  • 2 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2017, 04:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Belt Is On, And Timed Perfectly!!!

After this job kicked my sweet ass for many days. I was very frusterated at many times (And I think you guys know that). I was trying not to think of the car for awhile. My Father and I are not mechanics by any means, I would like to be one in the future and my dad is pretty damn mechanically inclined. But getting the belt on STUMPED us. Didn't help that we didn't remove the AC lines and because of that couldn't take the big metal peice around the belt, And had to work around it.

My grandfather is a master mechanic and owns a 2001 PT Cruiser, That is my deceased grandmothers car. I thought he was going to help me when I bought the car with this,
However he has been busy.
I was at work today, And my grandfather came over, My dad told him the issue we were having. And to my suprise when I came home, The belt was on. And time absolutely PERFECTLY!

I don't know what devil he sold his soul to for this belt to go on. But I don't care. I couldn't be happier. I just hope something else major on this car dies before I need another timing belt. Because I will never get it on myself.

Time to get everything back together. I have my Safety test booked Wednesday. So the car should be on the road soon! He also gave me some magnetic flames for the car that were on my Grandmother's Cruiser.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 05:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Belt Is On, And Timed Perfectly!!!

Glad the belt is on and timed. You are correct, it is a job. You can get the bracket out without disconnecting the A/C. It is difficult but it will come out. Happy for you!

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 18 Nov 2017, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When three generations of men get together, there's nothing that can't be done.

Congratulations! You've earned your PT stripes.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 11:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

After thanking him you should tie him up with your other timing belts and hold him hostage until he tells you exactly what he did to get the belt on. It could save your PT Cruiser from your torch the next time you need to change your TB (yes it can possibly last that long). He needs to pass his tricks on to the next generation or two.
rckstein and wingman55 like this.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 12:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
After thanking him you should tie him up with your other timing belts and hold him hostage until he tells you exactly what he did to get the belt on. It could save your PT Cruiser from your torch the next time you need to change your TB (yes it can possibly last that long). He needs to pass his tricks on to the next generation or two.
If it makes it another 160,000km I'll probably get a dealer to do it. My grandfather is putting a new alternator and AC compressor In his cruiser this winter so he can pass it on to his step granddaughter. I gave him a extra timing belt and I will try to convince him to do a timing job with waterpump,pully, tensioner too, as his is a 2001 with 183,000km original timing components, and it's been subjected to harsh Canadian winters that I can't imagine the rubber on the belt enjoys
Old 19 Nov 2017, 01:01 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
If it makes it another 160,000km I'll probably get a dealer to do it. My grandfather is putting a new alternator and AC compressor In his cruiser this winter so he can pass it on to his step granddaughter. I gave him a extra timing belt and I will try to convince him to do a timing job with waterpump,pully, tensioner too, as his is a 2001 with 183,000km original timing components, and it's been subjected to harsh Canadian winters that I can't imagine the rubber on the belt enjoys
You might want to spend some bonding time with your Grandfather and watch how these are replaced, might come in handy
wingman55 and rsrocket1 like this.