PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ajhockey3
  • 1 Post By ajhockey3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2017, 09:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Now that the car runs time to focus on cosmetic and minor issues. I'm going to list every issue I found and let me know if there's a way to fix it.

Trunk lock is seized, key goes in, won't turn already bent a key. Tried WD40 and some rust free-er stuff.

The plastic around the trunk is sagging on the passenger side when open. Doesn't seem to clip in anywhere.

Clear coat is peeling really bad on the bumpers. Fine on the metal body though. Any way to strip it other than tweezers and a few days?

The power window on the driver side and rear passenger make a noise like they want to die badly, and roll up and down slowly.

Power mirror motor sounds like it wants to die.

Any help would be appreciated. The car battery is reading 13 volts so I doubt it's that causing some electronic motor issues.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
Now that the car runs time to focus on cosmetic and minor issues. I'm going to list every issue I found and let me know if there's a way to fix it.

Trunk lock is seized, key goes in, won't turn already bent a key. Tried WD40 and some rust free-er stuff.

The plastic around the trunk is sagging on the passenger side when open. Doesn't seem to clip in anywhere.

Clear coat is peeling really bad on the bumpers. Fine on the metal body though. Any way to strip it other than tweezers and a few days?

The power window on the driver side and rear passenger make a noise like they want to die badly, and roll up and down slowly.

Power mirror motor sounds like it wants to die.

Any help would be appreciated. The car battery is reading 13 volts so I doubt it's that causing some electronic motor issues.

You can access the rear hatch lock by removing the hatch interior panel. Once you have removed the lock cylinder from the hatch, you may be able to soak it in WD40 and then get it freed up. But also be aware that a previous owner may have swapped the rear hatch from a same color salvage PT after backing into something. Thus, the hatch key cylinder may be the wrong one. In any case, a locksmith may be able re-key it for you. But I'm not sure. The cheap answer is just to buy a new or salvage replacement lock and use the key that comes with it to unlock the hatch. However if you have power locks, The hatch key cylinder gets very little use anyway.

If the plastic is sagging in the back, chances are there are missing trim fasteners behind it. If you will post a photo of the issue, we can likely give you some ideas to fix it.

The bumpers on a 1st Gen PT are the easiest thing to refinish yourself because of the recessed rim around them. You can mask them off easily. Then sand, paint and apply clear coat from a spray can. I'm not good at paint, but it's was easy enough for me to do it on my 2001 Limited. And it's looked very good.

The driver side power window motor is the one that gets the most use. When it acts up, it usually needs to be replaced. Remove the panel and inspect first, but that's normally the deal. I'm a big fan of salvage stuff. But for the driver door, I'd go with a new one from an online source like Rock Auto or Amazon. For the rear passenger window, remove the panel and observe. This motor is likely bad too but it never hurts to inspect. And for this one, I'd likely get the $5 salvage replacement unless they are really cheap online. Note that there was a change to power window mechanisms during the 1st Gen PT run. So OEM parts are not all be interchangeable while aftermarket parts that come with the motor and mechanism may be listed as fitting all 1st Gen PT's.

Good luck. Please snap some photos of your work and post them as you go. It will be cool to see your PT come back to top notch condition.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Nov 2017 at 10:21 am.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 10:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You can access the rear hatch lock by removing the hatch interior panel. Once you have removed the lock cylinder from the hatch, you may be able to soak it in WD40 and then get it freed up. But also be aware that a previous owner may have swapped the rear hatch from a same color salvage PT after backing into something. Thus, the hatch key cylinder may be the wrong one. In any case, a locksmith may be able re-key it for you. But I'm not sure. The cheap answer is just to buy a new or salvage replacement lock and use the key that comes with it to unlock the hatch. However if you have power locks, The hatch key cylinder gets very little use anyway.

If the plastic is sagging in the back, chances are there are missing trim fasteners behind it. If you will post a photo of the issue, we can likely give you some ideas to fix it.

The bumpers on a 1st Gen PT are the easiest thing to refinish yourself because of the recessed rim around them. You can mask them off easily. Then sand, paint and apply clear coat from a spray can. I'm not good at paint, but it's was easy enough for me to do it on my 2001 Limited. And it's looked very good.

The driver side power window motor is the one that gets the most use. When it acts up, it usually needs to be replaced. Remove the panel and inspect first, but that's normally the deal. I'm a big fan of salvage stuff. But for the driver door, I'd go with a new one from an online source like Rock Auto or Amazon. For the rear passenger window, remove the panel and observe. This motor is likely bad too but it never hurts to inspect. And for this one, I'd likely get the $5 salvage replacement unless they are really cheap online. Note that there was a change to power window mechanisms during the 1st Gen PT run. So OEM parts are not all be interchangeable while aftermarket parts that come with the motor and mechanism may be listed as fitting all 1st Gen PT's.

Good luck. Please snap some photos of your work and post them as you go. It will be cool to see your PT come back to top notch condition.

Few pictures, Sorry about the quality of them. Light is pretty dim in the garage and my phone camera is probably considered "Classic"

Its a 2006 Cruiser, So Second gen. I hope its still easy to fix the bumper? even if I don't respray clearcoat, Just removing the peeling coat will make it look 10x better. As it looks like my car has a nasty peeling sunburn ;/

(And this covers the entire rear+front bumper, Would need more pics to show it all)
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's a broken fastener on the hatch. Or it might just be a fastener out of place. If you remove the rear panel you will see what it needs. You can buy replacement fasteners at just about any parts store.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i'd just add a small, self tapping screw to the right edge to hold it in place. i'm seeing this as a car you'll be driving into the ground and not be selling.

MAACO has bumper specials from time to time, usually in spring. i think they charge $100 to repaint during the promotion. this is the route i'd go because there is no easy way to fix that at home that will look nice and last. personally i'd just live with it because bumpers are meant to bump things with. every time i've fixed one, it is immediately damaged again. they might make a bumper scuff pad for the back that will hide the peeling clearcoat. no clue about the front. i really wouldn't worry about it too much. be 17. ram things and have fun
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i'd just add a small, self tapping screw to the right edge to hold it in place. i'm seeing this as a car you'll be driving into the ground and not be selling.

MAACO has bumper specials from time to time, usually in spring. i think they charge $100 to repaint during the promotion. this is the route i'd go because there is no easy way to fix that at home that will look nice and last. personally i'd just live with it because bumpers are meant to bump things with. every time i've fixed one, it is immediately damaged again. they might make a bumper scuff pad for the back that will hide the peeling clearcoat. no clue about the front. i really wouldn't worry about it too much. be 17. ram things and have fun
For $100 I'd do it. Did some looking up online, Don't think they have that special in Canada. Might be 17 but not planning to ram anything.
rob302 likes this.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
That's a broken fastener on the hatch. Or it might just be a fastener out of place. If you remove the rear panel you will see what it needs. You can buy replacement fasteners at just about any parts store.
is that going to be more of a hassel than its worth? Or is it an easy job
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
is that going to be more of a hassel than its worth? Or is it an easy job
It's really very easy to remove the rear hatch panel. The first fastener you have to remove is the one at the bottom near the latch. You pull out the center plug and then the outer portion will also need to be removed. Then the rest of the panel just snaps off and since you already have one corner not holding, you will be able to see inside where the snap pins are as you gently pull on the panel. It might be helpful to use a screwdriver near the snap pins to help you apply a gentle amount of pressure to release the pin.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 11:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
It's really very easy to remove the rear hatch panel. The first fastener you have to remove is the one at the bottom near the latch. You pull out the center plug and then the outer portion will also need to be removed. Then the rest of the panel just snaps off and since you already have one corner not holding, you will be able to see inside where the snap pins are as you gently pull on the panel. It might be helpful to use a screwdriver near the snap pins to help you apply a gentle amount of pressure to release the pin.
Removed it. I think it was left cracked like that for awhile, One clip has significant rust rest are fine. Gave it a rubbing with a metal wire brush and it clipped in perfectly Just some rust bubbling up
Carnut likes this.