PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

 
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ajhockey3
  • 1 Post By ajhockey3

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2017, 09:30 am
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Now that the car runs time to focus on cosmetic and minor issues. I'm going to list every issue I found and let me know if there's a way to fix it.

Trunk lock is seized, key goes in, won't turn already bent a key. Tried WD40 and some rust free-er stuff.

The plastic around the trunk is sagging on the passenger side when open. Doesn't seem to clip in anywhere.

Clear coat is peeling really bad on the bumpers. Fine on the metal body though. Any way to strip it other than tweezers and a few days?

The power window on the driver side and rear passenger make a noise like they want to die badly, and roll up and down slowly.

Power mirror motor sounds like it wants to die.

Any help would be appreciated. The car battery is reading 13 volts so I doubt it's that causing some electronic motor issues.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2017, 10:19 am
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,338
Default Re: Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
Now that the car runs time to focus on cosmetic and minor issues. I'm going to list every issue I found and let me know if there's a way to fix it.

Trunk lock is seized, key goes in, won't turn already bent a key. Tried WD40 and some rust free-er stuff.

The plastic around the trunk is sagging on the passenger side when open. Doesn't seem to clip in anywhere.

Clear coat is peeling really bad on the bumpers. Fine on the metal body though. Any way to strip it other than tweezers and a few days?

The power window on the driver side and rear passenger make a noise like they want to die badly, and roll up and down slowly.

Power mirror motor sounds like it wants to die.

Any help would be appreciated. The car battery is reading 13 volts so I doubt it's that causing some electronic motor issues.

You can access the rear hatch lock by removing the hatch interior panel. Once you have removed the lock cylinder from the hatch, you may be able to soak it in WD40 and then get it freed up. But also be aware that a previous owner may have swapped the rear hatch from a same color salvage PT after backing into something. Thus, the hatch key cylinder may be the wrong one. In any case, a locksmith may be able re-key it for you. But I'm not sure. The cheap answer is just to buy a new or salvage replacement lock and use the key that comes with it to unlock the hatch. However if you have power locks, The hatch key cylinder gets very little use anyway.

If the plastic is sagging in the back, chances are there are missing trim fasteners behind it. If you will post a photo of the issue, we can likely give you some ideas to fix it.

The bumpers on a 1st Gen PT are the easiest thing to refinish yourself because of the recessed rim around them. You can mask them off easily. Then sand, paint and apply clear coat from a spray can. I'm not good at paint, but it's was easy enough for me to do it on my 2001 Limited. And it's looked very good.

The driver side power window motor is the one that gets the most use. When it acts up, it usually needs to be replaced. Remove the panel and inspect first, but that's normally the deal. I'm a big fan of salvage stuff. But for the driver door, I'd go with a new one from an online source like Rock Auto or Amazon. For the rear passenger window, remove the panel and observe. This motor is likely bad too but it never hurts to inspect. And for this one, I'd likely get the $5 salvage replacement unless they are really cheap online. Note that there was a change to power window mechanisms during the 1st Gen PT run. So OEM parts are not all be interchangeable while aftermarket parts that come with the motor and mechanism may be listed as fitting all 1st Gen PT's.

Good luck. Please snap some photos of your work and post them as you go. It will be cool to see your PT come back to top notch condition.
__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Nov 2017 at 10:21 am.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20 Nov 2017, 10:31 am
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You can access the rear hatch lock by removing the hatch interior panel. Once you have removed the lock cylinder from the hatch, you may be able to soak it in WD40 and then get it freed up. But also be aware that a previous owner may have swapped the rear hatch from a same color salvage PT after backing into something. Thus, the hatch key cylinder may be the wrong one. In any case, a locksmith may be able re-key it for you. But I'm not sure. The cheap answer is just to buy a new or salvage replacement lock and use the key that comes with it to unlock the hatch. However if you have power locks, The hatch key cylinder gets very little use anyway.

If the plastic is sagging in the back, chances are there are missing trim fasteners behind it. If you will post a photo of the issue, we can likely give you some ideas to fix it.

The bumpers on a 1st Gen PT are the easiest thing to refinish yourself because of the recessed rim around them. You can mask them off easily. Then sand, paint and apply clear coat from a spray can. I'm not good at paint, but it's was easy enough for me to do it on my 2001 Limited. And it's looked very good.

The driver side power window motor is the one that gets the most use. When it acts up, it usually needs to be replaced. Remove the panel and inspect first, but that's normally the deal. I'm a big fan of salvage stuff. But for the driver door, I'd go with a new one from an online source like Rock Auto or Amazon. For the rear passenger window, remove the panel and observe. This motor is likely bad too but it never hurts to inspect. And for this one, I'd likely get the $5 salvage replacement unless they are really cheap online. Note that there was a change to power window mechanisms during the 1st Gen PT run. So OEM parts are not all be interchangeable while aftermarket parts that come with the motor and mechanism may be listed as fitting all 1st Gen PT's.

Good luck. Please snap some photos of your work and post them as you go. It will be cool to see your PT come back to top notch condition.





Few pictures, Sorry about the quality of them. Light is pretty dim in the garage and my phone camera is probably considered "Classic"

Its a 2006 Cruiser, So Second gen. I hope its still easy to fix the bumper? even if I don't respray clearcoat, Just removing the peeling coat will make it look 10x better. As it looks like my car has a nasty peeling sunburn ;/

(And this covers the entire rear+front bumper, Would need more pics to show it all)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:01 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,338
Default Re: Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

That's a broken fastener on the hatch. Or it might just be a fastener out of place. If you remove the rear panel you will see what it needs. You can buy replacement fasteners at just about any parts store.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:17 pm
rob302's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Darien, IL | Forest Park, IL
Posts: 3,516
Default Re: Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

i'd just add a small, self tapping screw to the right edge to hold it in place. i'm seeing this as a car you'll be driving into the ground and not be selling.

MAACO has bumper specials from time to time, usually in spring. i think they charge $100 to repaint during the promotion. this is the route i'd go because there is no easy way to fix that at home that will look nice and last. personally i'd just live with it because bumpers are meant to bump things with. every time i've fixed one, it is immediately damaged again. they might make a bumper scuff pad for the back that will hide the peeling clearcoat. no clue about the front. i really wouldn't worry about it too much. be 17. ram things and have fun
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:22 pm
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i'd just add a small, self tapping screw to the right edge to hold it in place. i'm seeing this as a car you'll be driving into the ground and not be selling.

MAACO has bumper specials from time to time, usually in spring. i think they charge $100 to repaint during the promotion. this is the route i'd go because there is no easy way to fix that at home that will look nice and last. personally i'd just live with it because bumpers are meant to bump things with. every time i've fixed one, it is immediately damaged again. they might make a bumper scuff pad for the back that will hide the peeling clearcoat. no clue about the front. i really wouldn't worry about it too much. be 17. ram things and have fun
For $100 I'd do it. Did some looking up online, Don't think they have that special in Canada. Might be 17 but not planning to ram anything.
rob302 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:22 pm
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
That's a broken fastener on the hatch. Or it might just be a fastener out of place. If you remove the rear panel you will see what it needs. You can buy replacement fasteners at just about any parts store.
is that going to be more of a hassel than its worth? Or is it an easy job
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20 Nov 2017, 03:41 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
is that going to be more of a hassel than its worth? Or is it an easy job
It's really very easy to remove the rear hatch panel. The first fastener you have to remove is the one at the bottom near the latch. You pull out the center plug and then the outer portion will also need to be removed. Then the rest of the panel just snaps off and since you already have one corner not holding, you will be able to see inside where the snap pins are as you gently pull on the panel. It might be helpful to use a screwdriver near the snap pins to help you apply a gentle amount of pressure to release the pin.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2017, 11:38 am
ajhockey3's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 601
Default Re: Every cosmetic issues on my PT Cruiser. How to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
It's really very easy to remove the rear hatch panel. The first fastener you have to remove is the one at the bottom near the latch. You pull out the center plug and then the outer portion will also need to be removed. Then the rest of the panel just snaps off and since you already have one corner not holding, you will be able to see inside where the snap pins are as you gently pull on the panel. It might be helpful to use a screwdriver near the snap pins to help you apply a gentle amount of pressure to release the pin.
Removed it. I think it was left cracked like that for awhile, One clip has significant rust rest are fine. Gave it a rubbing with a metal wire brush and it clipped in perfectly Just some rust bubbling up
Carnut likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pt cruiser is having issues cheezkake Tech & Performance Forum 7 14 Apr 2016 12:08 am
Please Help!! Issues with my 05 Cruiser beckyjane86 Tech & Performance Forum 3 06 Apr 2013 05:45 pm
another pt cruiser with issues. neogeo Tech & Performance Forum 13 04 Jan 2011 06:01 pm
Cruiser AC Issues mscaho Tech & Performance Forum 4 16 Jul 2007 11:20 pm
Cosmetic fix for wheel? rocketsigntist The Detail Shop 4 10 Aug 2005 05:23 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors