• 7 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By niggle
  • 1 Post By niggle
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2017, 03:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Bought a $250 PT Cruiser, Ended up with a free Lamborghini

My timing belt job isn't 100% done yet. But I got tired so I started cleaning out the interior. It was owner's daughter who daily drove this car, and I was told she was a single mother so I understand why its dirty and unclean. Plus it was $250CAD I didn't expect it to be professionally detailed or something. Found a few interesting things, Juicebox, Cheerios. Unopened snack bar, Gas receipts. Then I found this gem:

Buying a $250 PT Cruiser landed me with a free Lamborghini Aventador
Pretty good story!

When I bought this car it was dark out, and its been stored in my dark garage so I couldn't see the best and I haven't been looking too hard for anything. Once I got a light inside the car I found this lambo in the center console upside down like this:

The guy I bought it from doesn't live too far, I'm not sure if his grandchild is upset because he's missing a toy car, Part of me wants to give it back incase his grandchild is ( I am going to meet with the previous owner in the future, he wants to see the car run and know someone is enjoying it ). Part of me doesn't because I think telling people I got a free lamborghini with a $250 PT Cruiser is a good story
Old 21 Nov 2017, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bought a $250 PT Cruiser, Ended up with a free Lamborghini

The story still works even if you give the little car back. Plus, it lets the story end with you being a nice guy. That always plays well with the ladies.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 01:34 pm
Young Cruiser

I had to replace the rear seatbelts on our current daily driver (Vauxhall/Opel Zafira) after one of our dogs ate them When I pulled the trim panels off that cover the inertia reels I found hundreds of rolled up sweet (candy) wrappers that had presumably been stuffed in through the slot where the belt emerges at the top.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 06:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Oh I forgot, when I bought the 55000 miles 2002 Street Cruiser for 170 ($225), I found a 12V tyre pump and a set of heavy duty jump leads in the boot (trunk). When the rear left tyre deflated totally in 3 days I was glad of the pump (and realised why it was there), but fortunately I have had no need for the jump leads.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 07:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
I had to replace the rear seatbelts on our current daily driver (Vauxhall/Opel Zafira) after one of our dogs ate them When I pulled the trim panels off that cover the inertia reels I found hundreds of rolled up sweet (candy) wrappers that had presumably been stuffed in through the slot where the belt emerges at the top.
This is what happened from what I found in a car.

I was restoring a Datsun SRL 311 Roadster I'd bought w/o a clear title and was in the difficult process of apply for a title.
'66 Datsun SRL311 sports roadster.jpg
This is the only photo Have of that fabulous Roadster but I have a lot of great memories.

One day at the beginning of restoration, under the seat I found a Radford College class ring with a name inscribed on it. I traced the name through the college, got a phone number, made a call, found the right guy and told him I was going to return his class ring I'd found. I then ask him if he had the title to the Datsun. He said he'd look in earnest. After searching he found the old title and sent it to me, all signed over to my name. He was glad to hear his roadster didn't end up in a bone yard and was being restored. He was excited that I'd found and was mailing his lost class ring back to him.

He explained he'd blown the front of the engine, which was common on that great, nearly bullet proof, Datsun 2000 engine. When first starting the engine, if you didn't let oil pressure build to accommodate the hydraulic overhead cam chain tensioner the chain could jump timing and kaboom! It made a mess of the front of the engine 'cause it really looked blown up and to the novice it looked irreparable. When I got it apart there was no real, damage aside from some busted front cases, bent valves and scored pistons. He wasn't mechanically inclined and just sold it, as is, to the first guy who'd buy it at any price.

That second guy had big dreams but no real ability or cash. That poor roadster was just sitting in his front yard covered with snow.

I'd lucked out when the city of Roanoke gave that second guy just one week to get that "junk" out of his front yard. He didn't have the 2000 title.

For $200 bucks I took a chance and got the "66 Datsun SRL 3110 2000CC roadster. I was already driving a "65 2000 Roadster that was just a beater but I used it as a test bed for everything I restored on the project roadster. I finally sold that beater 2000 for a nice buck when it was up and running. The body wasn't great but mechanically it was good for learning more about the Datsun Roadster. With any TLC those 2000's were remarkable, road handling, fast, responsive, dependable preforming cars.

With the finding of the class ring and the title in my name I really lucked out. I completely restored it to perfection. Set up for racing, as per all the specs in the Datsun giant killer manual for power and handling.

After a while I strayed from the single life, the newly restored Datsun took a back seat and was about to get married. I needed the cash and sold it for big bucks.

But, I also had the sense and privileged to agree to the stipulating on that sale that I track race it one time. The buyer was an avid collector but had quadruple by pass surgery and couldn't drive it in competition. He wanted a trophy to increase the value even more. He had a special enclosed haul trailer built, got a set of racing tires for just that race and a set of old style bias ply tires that originally came on the Datsun for when he competitively showed it. This guy was big time. I did the run on a road track down near Atlanta, Ga. I got to a speed of 167mph, topped out in fifth gear along side a pristine early Jaguar Roadster. I beat the Jag to the finish line! No fenders ever touched. Just pristine cars, everyone racing thoughtfully, carefully driving and "Trophy time"!

All because I found a class ring, and I was mechanically inclined enough to have enjoyed restoring a lot of nifty cars. All which have separate, endearing memories. I now wish I'd held onto a few of the cars I restored, but as a passion I could never really afford, I had to sell one to start another.

Family and responsibility were always more important than that passion.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Nov 2017 at 09:08 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Great story, Price! I bet you looked good in that roadster.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 09:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Great story, Price! I bet you looked good in that roadster.
Here's a caricature I did of the Datsun for the cover of our monthly club publication. It was to feature an autocross we held (the Henry County Sports Car Club) called the Firecracker Autocross. I was holding the firecracker and my friend Bob was driving my Roadster.

firecracker datsun.jpg

If you'll note from the appearance they tried to copy the lines of a popular British roadster of the time. I think they did it a little better in every respect. Comfortable adjustable seating, sensible high windshield and head room, good leg room and pedal location, great braking, excellent adjustable suspension, perfect ratio five speed fully syncro rock crusher tranny, amazing power to weight ratio. 2000 pounds soaking wet. My engine was figured to be at least 200 HP plus at 9500 rpm and still pulling. Probable 'cause everything was turned true and balanced to 1/10th of a gram. Four mains the size of the mains in a 409. Bullet proof! Two dual side draft Mikuni carbs, 3 1/2 exhaust, aluminum fly wheel and harmonic balancer, high performance cam, pop up pistons , everything turned true, and all parts balanced to 1/10 of a gram. All that stuff scrounged from other roadster collectors. All original Datsun aftermarket stuff from the factory to make giant killers.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Nov 2017 at 10:10 pm.