LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2017, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Today's Quick, Dumb Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchnIswhatIdo View Post
I got this one for $69
its the Bomb it's my go to Machine
What is the model number of your scanner?
Old 29 Nov 2017, 02:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've read a few reviews on scanners and some complained they had to update the readers firmware before their scanner would work on their particular vehicle. Might be something to check out. I think the common error was "could not connect", which required the firmware update. As for clearing the code..all that should be required to clear that code is disconnecting the battery, as handy mentioned.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 29 Nov 2017, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
I've read a few reviews on scanners and some complained they had to update the readers firmware before their scanner would work on their particular vehicle. Might be something to check out. I think the common error was "could not connect", which required the firmware update. As for clearing the code..all that should be required to clear that code is disconnecting the battery, as handy mentioned.
Sorry you got that information from Handy but the information is wrong. The codes are still stored after you disconnect the battery so you need an OBDII Scan Tool that has the capability of resetting the codes. This is why I asked WrenchnIswhatIdo what the model number is of his OBDII Scan to find out if it has the capability of resetting the codes.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Nov 2017 at 03:10 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PCM in PT Cruiser is soooooo simple (a dinosaur comparing ECU of other platforms) I do not think that there is any Diagnostic scanning tool that can't read the PCM info at the diagnostic port.
In a PT if you get a "cant connect" most of the time it means you have either a connector problem or a PCM issue. Disconnecting the battery will turn off the check engine light but your monitors will not reset until the issue that caused the DTC is fixed and the engine cycles through. What I do is like Steve suggested to clear the DTC, and if the scanning tool has the ability to go re-set the monitors.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
Old 29 Nov 2017, 03:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Space Mouse,
Your profile says central valley. If you are anywhere near Sacramento, let me know. I can show you 4 different OBDII scanner interfaces (2 dedicated, a WiFi and a Bluetooth) and all will be able to read the code (and probably clear it so long as it's not a persistent problem)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 09:44 am
Young Cruiser

This is my crap-o-matic scanner. Took three or four tries, but finally got it to read and erase the code. Not sure why, but things are back to normal now. Thanks, everyone for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171129_163901.jpg (95.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 30 Nov 2017, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Space Mouse,
Your profile says central valley. If you are anywhere near Sacramento, let me know. I can show you 4 different OBDII scanner interfaces (2 dedicated, a WiFi and a Bluetooth) and all will be able to read the code (and probably clear it so long as it's not a persistent problem)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
This is my crap-o-matic scanner. Took three or four tries, but finally got it to read and erase the code. Not sure why, but things are back to normal now. Thanks, everyone for your help!
SpaceMouse
If you do take take rsrocket1 on his offer you are both welcome to come by my house or the shop. Just PM or call me.

Dalai Lama
Old 30 Nov 2017, 06:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
SpaceMouse
If you do take take rsrocket1 on his offer you are both welcome to come by my house or the shop. Just PM or call me.
As much as I appreciate the invite(s), the Snoozer spends its life of neglect and abuse (gets driven 1 mile twice a day) at NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, about 60 miles from my home in San Joaquin County and a good long schlep to Sacramento.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Titan I.jpg (96.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 30 Nov 2017, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
As much as I appreciate the invite(s), the Snoozer spends its life of neglect and abuse (gets driven 1 mile twice a day) at NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, about 60 miles from my home in San Joaquin County and a good long schlep to Sacramento.
I lived in SC for 12 years my parts marketer is in Woodside and I know every inch of every road and way up and around to Alice's.

Alice's Restaurant | You Can Get Anything You Want At Alice's

Dalai Lama
Old 04 Dec 2017, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to post a new question. So forgive me for posting via a reply to above.

My problem is a badly cracked oil pan. Running from our last hurricane here in Florida, I ran over a median divider and got stuck on it with no wheels on the ground. Had to rock it to get front wheels on the ground to get the car off of it. This was 250 miles away from home at about 1 in the morning. Well the oil pan cracked in several places. I spent the night and repaired it the best I could to limp home after storm passed. Oil leaked to the tune of about 12 quarts in a 250 mile drive. Since then, I have used JB Weld to try to stop all leaks. I've been under the car 6 or more times trying. I know I need a new oil pan and was wondering if anyone can explain to me how much of a job is it to do myself while car is on driveway ramps or jacked up and on stands. Seems the labor costs I've seen are around $250.00 to $300.00...Just labor. Just looking, I can't see how much of a tear down it is to remove and replace the pan. Can someone that's done it offer some help? Much appreciated. It's a 2004 Cruiser not turbo.

Oh and if someone can tell me how to post a new topic too.