Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser Help!!!!!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2017, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 2001 PT Cruiser Help!!!!!

Hello,

My Pt Cruiser is currently out of commission and I am not sure what to do at this point.

the car doesn't start at all. it turns over but wont go the extra length to start.

my moms fiance helped me diagnose the problem, we checked the fuel injection, spark, and the compression, and we replaced the cam censor. they all work fine with no problems but the car still doesn't start.

please help me with this issue!
Old 24 Nov 2017, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser Help!!!!!

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

You should go to the new members sections and tell us more about yourself and your PT Cruiser.

To help you, we will need to start out with:

How many miles are on the car?
Has the timing belt been changed?
Is the check engine light on and if so, what are the trouble codes?
Does little red light on the tachometer flash or stay on when trying to start the car?
Doe the engine turn over at normal speed when trying to start or is it slow or really fast?
Is there spark?
rsrocket1 likes this.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 03:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The typical initial response is:
Welcome
Go over to the new members section and introduce yourself, what year and type of PT Cruiser you have, the number of miles on it, what service you know was done to it most importantly the timing belt, your location (someone close could either help out or give advice to a good shop).

As a shortcut, I'll respond to your post here.

Is the Check Engine Light on?
If yes, do you have a diagnostic code reader and if so, what numbers does it show. If not, do you know how to do the keydance? What codes does that show?

Others will chime in with "can you hear the electric fuel pump running?"
"Have you unbolted the timing belt outer cover to see if the timing belt broke" (usually the engine spins quicker if the belt is broken).

Sorry to hear about your problems, but "engine won't run" is way too broad without asking the typical 20 questions and doing it online just makes it a little slower.

Sure enough Handy, you beat me to the punch

Last edited by rsrocket1; 24 Nov 2017 at 03:42 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

there are 174,479 miles

the timing belt has not been changed recently to my knowledge(bought this car from a neighbor a couple months ago)
the check engine light is on and reads the following codes
It seems like a pretty normal speed when trying to start
we didn't check to see if the timing belt broke but we checked the cam censor and we are getting 0-5V as we rotate the motor manually we then physically pulled the cam censor out and saw it moving.

we checked the spark at the plugs through grounding appeared to be a good spark. 65 PSI with the fuel pressure gauge NOID tested the fuel injectors and they were ok. We also added a gallon of gas and we could hear the fuel pump kicking on.

could the problem be a jumped timing belt? if so is there an easy way to approach that?

Thank you for helping me with this situation!
Old 24 Nov 2017, 05:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyBread View Post
there are 174,479 miles

the timing belt has not been changed recently to my knowledge(bought this car from a neighbor a couple months ago)
we didn't check to see if the timing belt broke but we checked the cam censor and we are getting 0-5V as we rotate the motor manually we then physically pulled the cam censor out and saw it moving.

we checked the spark at the plugs through grounding appeared to be a good spark. 65 PSI with the fuel pressure gauge NOID tested the fuel injectors and they were ok. We also added a gallon of gas and we could hear the fuel pump kicking on.

could the problem be a jumped timing belt? if so is there an easy way to approach that?

The engine will spin much faster is the belt isnt connecting, It will spin the engine really fast and won't sound like it wants to start. You can take off the uper timing belt cover (3-4 screws) or put a dab of paint on each cam in the timing inspection hole. You should also check with a multimeter that your battery is over 12volts, Hopefully it is this. I am doing a timing belt job very slowly currently, The 8 month old battery has lost 4 volts of power in less than 3 weeks with the negative disconnected

Last edited by ajhockey3; 24 Nov 2017 at 05:20 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are getting spark and fuel pressue I would suggest you do an engine compression check in all four clinders. Post what find.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyBread View Post
there are 174,479 miles

With that selection of codes this sounds a lot like a damaged wiring harness. First thing I'd do is check voltage at the oxygen sensor. Then trace back up all the way to the PCM for damaged wiring.

A slipped timing belt is not my first choice so check that sensor voltage and harness first. However, the easiest way to check for a slipped timing belt is to removed the top dust cover and the passenger side and then get #1 cylinder up on the compression stroke. Then see if the cam sprocket timing marks align. Any Pt with more than a 100K on the timing belt is likely living on borrowed time. Your may have been living dangerously for a long time.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Nov 2017 at 06:19 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
However, the easiest way to check for a slipped timing belt is to removed the top dust cover and the passenger side and then get #1 cylinder up on the compression stroke. Then see if the cam sprocket timing marks align.
Or just simply pull the spark plug wire and spark plug on the one of the cylinders and do a engine compression test. This will tell you if the timing belt is off.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Or just simply pull the spark plug wire and spark plug on the one of the cylinders and do a engine compression test. This will tell you if the timing belt is off.
Actually Steve, that's not necessarily the case. Remember, the OP has already confirmed that the timing belt is not broken. Here, we are looking for a slipped belt.

While compression will likely be effected to some degree, it may not be clear how much without knowing what your gauge readings were before the timing slip. Removing the dust cover is just a few screws. For many folks, this visual check is likely to be easier and more definitive than doing a compression check to detect a slipped timing belt.

Here is what you will look for with #1 cyl. up on the compression stroke.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TimingMarks1.jpg (57.1 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Nov 2017 at 08:35 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 10:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Removing the dust cover is just a few screws. For many folks, this visual check is likely to be easier and more definitive than doing a compression check to detect a slipped timing belt.
Actually Handy, there is an even more definite easier way and you don't need to get your hands dirty.

Just hook up the vacuum gauge and see if the vacuum is off.

Vacuum Gauge readings.jpg

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 24 Nov 2017 at 10:59 pm.