Advertisements
What's it worth?

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2017, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What's it worth?

Hi all,

I have a very clean 2005 pt dream cruiser covertible, turbo ho. All stock, purchased from original owner, has all factory dream stuff including top boot. It has never been driven in bad weather, has 60k miles, automatic. Runs, looks, drives great. It has new tires, shocks, and struts a few months back. I am considering moving to a 4 door car for my kids. Clean car fax no accidents ever. Any idea what this car is worth roughly? Thanks!
Old 26 Nov 2017, 09:31 pm
Banned

Default Re: What's it worth?

It's worth whatever anybody is willing to pay for it.

Any further information provided will just lead to arguments and get a thread closed.
dougs and dsab like this.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 10:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest looking on Craigslist for your area. Compare Pt Cruisers with your mileage and condition and this will give you a pretty good idea of what you might be able to sell it for.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How much of a difference in value is the dream cruiser package vs just a regular gt? I can't seem to find a dc pricing option on the value sites and none are for sale online I can see. Thanks
Old 26 Nov 2017, 11:10 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abguy View Post
How much of a difference in value is the dream cruiser package vs just a regular gt? I can't seem to find a dc pricing option on the value sites and none are for sale online I can see. Thanks
Here's an '05 DC with 115,000 miles, almost double what yours has, with a price of $3499:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=169659633

Here's another one with 145,000 miles for $4895, but it appears to have some clear coat peeling on the rear bumper:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=187664208

And this one with 103,178 miles for $4995:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=185098795

This one has 87,789 miles for $5990:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=188577295

This one with 97,232 miles for $6996:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=177971368

This one has 79,938 miles but no price listed:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=184520611
Old 27 Nov 2017, 02:26 am
Cool Cruiser

All of the above listings, the cars have 80,000 to 100,000 miles-plus in usage. You know what that means -- the first question a buyer should ask is: Has the timing belt been replaced? If not, count on doing the timing belt, and water pump and assorted bits, and might as well throw in some new engine mounts and a new radiator, cause your' re gonna need these things done. The asking prices should be reduced $2K accordingly...
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abguy View Post
Hi all,

I have a very clean 2005 pt dream cruiser covertible, turbo ho. All stock, purchased from original owner, has all factory dream stuff including top boot. It has never been driven in bad weather, has 60k miles, automatic. Runs, looks, drives great. It has new tires, shocks, and struts a few months back. I am considering moving to a 4 door car for my kids. Clean car fax no accidents ever. Any idea what this car is worth roughly? Thanks!
Where I am from, that's a $4,000 car. You will have to monitor Craigslist for a while to get an idea of what cars actually sale for. The value will not change with the timing belt. Doesn't seem to mater based on the ones that sale here on Craigslist since most sellers and buyers don't know the difference. There's a very clean one just like it for sale here right now for $2800 but it has around 100K on it. The low mileage does seem to boost value to some degree and I believe $4000 is at the top end. I would start my listing at around $4500 and likely be willing take somewhere in the upper $3K range depending on how long it's listed and how much interest there is.

PS: On the matter of the timing belt. A 60K PT is still in the safe range. If me, I'd let the buyer know that it needs to be changed near 100K. But most buyers aren't looking that far ahead so it likely won't scare any away.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Nov 2017 at 06:52 am.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 08:47 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Where I am from, that's a $4,000 car. You will have to monitor Craigslist for a while to get an idea of what cars actually sale for. The value will not change with the timing belt. Doesn't seem to mater based on the ones that sale here on Craigslist since most sellers and buyers don't know the difference. There's a very clean one just like it for sale here right now for $2800 but it has around 100K on it. The low mileage does seem to boost value to some degree and I believe $4000 is at the top end. I would start my listing at around $4500 and likely be willing take somewhere in the upper $3K range depending on how long it's listed and how much interest there is.

PS: On the matter of the timing belt. A 60K PT is still in the safe range. If me, I'd let the buyer know that it needs to be changed near 100K. But most buyers aren't looking that far ahead so it likely won't scare any away.
If you follow Maintenance Schedule "A"-Turbo from the Owner's Manual, it has a mileage as well as time recommendation for replacing the timing belt, which is 105,000 miles or 126 months (10-1/2 years) whichever occurs first. An '05 at this time would be a 12 year old vehicle. Rubber degrades over time, so just because a low mileage vehicle can be found, there may be things lurking under the hood and those need to be taken into consideration when negotiating a price.
dougs and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If you follow Maintenance Schedule "A"-Turbo from the Owner's Manual, it has a mileage as well as time recommendation for replacing the timing belt, which is 105,000 miles or 126 months (10-1/2 years) whichever occurs first. An '05 at this time would be a 12 year old vehicle. Rubber degrades over time, so just because a low mileage vehicle can be found, there may be things lurking under the hood and those need to be taken into consideration when negotiating a price.
Good advice, Rick. Knowing that, an honest seller would likely want to inform a potential buyer of this too.
dougs likes this.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 09:03 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Good advice, Rick. Knowing that, an honest seller would likely want to inform a potential buyer of this too.
That can be an issue, sometimes, finding an "honest seller"

I would tend to believe that most sellers probably won't reveal, at least not willingly volunteer, this kind of info to any potential buyer, and would rely on the buyer to know what they are getting into. Then most buyers may not know about the timing belt situation and just see a low priced car. Then shortly after purchasing it, they seem to end up on this forum listing all kinds of problems with their "new" car
dougs likes this.