Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By myckee
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 2 Post By Grasshopper77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2017, 04:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Crazy instrument cluster.

We have a 2009 PT Cruiser which has, periodically, been exhibiting strange behavior. *Hopefully, some of you good folks, here, can enlighten matters for us.

There are times, when I'm driving along, that all six of the LED indicators (bottom of the speedometer window) will flash on. *Typically, they will be illuminated for no more than about five, or six seconds, or so. *Five will go out, at that time, with the seat belt indicator always remaining on for a few seconds more. *Each time, when this happens, the speedometer & RPM needles will drop, and quickly move back up to where it initially was. *Twice, I noticed that the car felt like it was, temporarily, in neutral. *

Before taking it to the shop, I hope that someone might be able to give me a 'head's Up' on this. *This thing has me totally flabbergasted.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan*

Nathan
(2009 PT/ non turbo/auto)
Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Crazy instrument cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
We have a 2009 PT Cruiser which has, periodically, been exhibiting strange behavior. *Hopefully, some of you good folks, here, can enlighten matters for us.

There are times, when I'm driving along, that all six of the LED indicators (bottom of the speedometer window) will flash on. *Typically, they will be illuminated for no more than about five, or six seconds, or so. *Five will go out, at that time, with the seat belt indicator always remaining on for a few seconds more. *Each time, when this happens, the speedometer & RPM needles will drop, and quickly move back up to where it initially was. *Twice, I noticed that the car felt like it was, temporarily, in neutral. *

Before taking it to the shop, I hope that someone might be able to give me a 'head's Up' on this. *This thing has me totally flabbergasted.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan*

The link below might be a clue to the issue you are having. There is an connector below the Instrument Cluster that goes bad.

Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:26 am
Senior Cruiser

While its not a bad idea to check the connector, the fact that the engine is cutting out and then coming back online, is not going to be related to that connector. It is usually an indication that there may be a problem with the power or ground connections. Since they run through the TIPM, Totoally Integrated Power Module, often it is this TIPM that ends up being the problem.

Check all of your power and ground connections. If all are okay, then you are probably going to be looking at a TIPM replacement. The loss of gauges and engine cutting out are classic signs and there have been many posts here on the forum attesting to that.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
While its not a bad idea to check the connector, the fact that the engine is cutting out and then coming back online, is not going to be related to that connector. It is usually an indication that there may be a problem with the power or ground connections. Since they run through the TIPM, Totoally Integrated Power Module, often it is this TIPM that ends up being the problem.

Check all of your power and ground connections. If all are okay, then you are probably going to be looking at a TIPM replacement. The loss of gauges and engine cutting out are classic signs and there have been many posts here on the forum attesting to that.
This is good information above and it reminds me that it would be a good idea to have a battery load test done as Myckee posted about the power. Sometimes the TIPM does not like it when the battery voltage is lower than the norm. When was the last time the battery was replaced?

Does the radio also cut out when this happens? If so you might want to look at the ignition switch.

Grasshopper77 likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Nov 2017 at 11:11 am.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 01:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

I agree with getting the battery tested. I've experience almost the same symptoms (Dummy lights, RPM and Odometer needles dropping to zero, and temp power loss). Cleaned the battery terminals and replaced battery. Symptoms haven't returned in over a year.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 29 Nov 2017, 05:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
This is good information above and it reminds me that it would be a good idea to have a battery load test done as Myckee posted about the power. Sometimes the TIPM does not like it when the battery voltage is lower than the norm. When was the last time the battery was replaced?

Does the radio also cut out when this happens? If so you might want to look at the ignition switch.

My thanks to everyone who responded.

But in answer to your question, Steve - no, I don't recall the radio dropping out, when these issues occurr.

We bought this car from my wife's aunt, and (at that time) it just had 25k miles on it. She said that she'd put a new battery in it, and the car now has 55k miles on it. It hadn't occurred to me that the battery might be having issues, and I WILL get the suggested testing performed.

Nathan
(2009 PT/ non turbo/auto)