PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
$250 PT Cruiser Runs For The First Time!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ajhockey3
  • 1 Post By oldthom
  • 1 Post By rob302
  • 2 Post By Goonior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default $250 PT Cruiser Runs For The First Time!

After a month of dealing with this car, It started up today!!! I couldn't be more happy. Fired right up after a battery charge, Even with 3 month old fuel.

Having one issue.

I cannot get the harmonic balancer on, Sure I could hit it with a hammer, But that might damage the crank.

I borrowed a harmonic balancer install tool, However the threads for the part that push the bearing on are too thick and wont fit inside the balancer.

Its going to cost $50 to get 1 bolt shipped in from (Fastenal) (I live in Canada), thats longer so I can make my own tool.

Any thoughts? Tips?
Carnut and rob302 like this.

Last edited by ajhockey3; 29 Nov 2017 at 10:13 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: $250 PT Cruiser Runs For The First Time!

CONGRATULATIONS kid! You pulled off that timing belt change!!!
rob302 likes this.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

make sure the crank snout and inside of the balancer are burr and rust free. apply a very light film of oil.

if it still won't fit, heat it. boil the balancer it in water and jam it on there before it cools (or use a small torch)

-OR- perhaps the crank was warm from you starting it and it'll slip on farther once it cools.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
make sure the crank snout and inside of the balancer are burr and rust free. apply a very light film of oil.

if it still won't fit, heat it. boil the balancer it in water and jam it on there before it cools (or use a small torch)

-OR- perhaps the crank was warm from you starting it and it'll slip on farther once it cools.
It fits no problem, when I put it on, It doesn't go on far enough that the bolt grips the threads
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's an idea with a little risk involved.

I just went out to my bolt bin and compared a few PT bolts. I believe that on "some" PT's, the rear shock absorber bolt is about half an inch longer than the crank bolt but has the same threads. I say some because I found two different rear shock bolts. One was the same length as the crank bolt and the other was half an inch longer.

You could remove one of the rear shock bolts and see if it's long enough to grab threads. If not, you could take a block of wood and a hammer and very GENTLY tap the harmonic ballancer on just a little ways. Ideally you would get it where you can grab a half inch of threads or more. Then very carefully use the bolt to suck the harmonic ballancer on.

If me, I would make sure the crank end is completely clean as is the inside of the harmonic ballancer. It should go on fairly easily. If much force at all is needed, this is a no go. Using the hammer is bad and using a bolt with only a half inch of thread to do this is bad. So if harmonic ballancer gives any trouble, give up or risk egging the end of the crank and/or stripping out some of the crank threads.

I've done some version of this many times back when resources were limited or I was miles from the nearest paved road. But it's not something I feel good about recommending on the internet. But this is a $250 car and there's fairly easy hillbilly fixes if it goes bad. Again, this will have risk. But there's a good chance it will be okay if the ballancer presses on easily.

PS: If you can wait for the long bolt to do this right, I'm willing to get you one and ship it to you. I figure that would be less than half of the $50 you mentioned depending on how fast you need it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HarmonicInstall2.jpg (69.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Nov 2017 at 10:49 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 11:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
It fits no problem, when I put it on, It doesn't go on far enough that the bolt grips the threads
i understand that. i meant if you heat it, it will fit on farther. 1" of steel generally expands .0015 for every 100 you heat it. since it's a tapered part, the small amount does a lot. never underestimate heat when working on a car. if you warm it up and tap it on you should have no issue getting the bolt started.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 08:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Rob about heating the harmonic balancer. And if you can, pack some ice around the crank snout first for about an hour. Steel shrinks as it gets cold. A combination of icing the snout and heating the balancer SHOULD make it go on far enough to get your bolt in.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 03:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Yup, heat it up!!!
I just did this a few weeks ago on my $100 project Cruiser. A little propane goes a long way.... Slid right on, but be quick, once the heat starts to go away it shrinks down fast..
Old 30 Nov 2017, 04:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You should be able to use a wrench to screw in the bolt which should draw the balancer in onto the crankshaft. Make absolutely sure it is on straight and don't pound it, otherwise if the blows are not perfectly perpendicular, you may score one of the surfaces and subsequent blows will really mess it up.

I used one of these things to hold the balancer while torquing the bolt down.

Lisle 38220

I don't recall if I used my impact wrench but if you have one, just use short burst and don't use it beyond where it stops. You don't want to drive the bolt in with the full 300 foot-pounds of torque, you need 100 ft-lbs for the fastener.

Here's another trick: