Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser Horn Fuse Location?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2017, 01:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Horn Fuse Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
To answer your question, per the Service Manual, of which I sent you a PM on 10/25 with a link to download a copy of it from my DropBox, the horn fuse is #23 in the TIPM:

Even though in the Owner's Manual, fuse #23 is marked: ENG ASD Relay Feed 3.

Your TIPM, or at least the cover, must have been replaced at one time. The original cover to my TIPM had the fuse legend on the inside of the cover. But my TIPM has been replaced, with a MOPAR one, but the replacements no longer have the legend on the cover, just the locations and refers you to the Owner's Manual for the fuse descriptions.
This is fuse #23 in the TIPM:
UPDATE:

By process of elimination, the fuse controlling the horn is actually #14 which in the Owner's Manual is marked: IOD CCN/Interior Lighting:
Rckstein, fuse #14 is for the Instrument Cluster. Are you saying that the Instrument Cluster does not have power going to it.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 06:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Rckstein, fuse #14 is for the Instrument Cluster. Are you saying that the Instrument Cluster does not have power going to it.
I didn't look at the instrument cluster, but I just went pulling one fuse at a time, starting with the 10amp fuses, and tested the horn after removing each fuse. When I pulled #14 I noticed the interior lighting went out, and the horn did not work. Put the fuse back in and the interior lighting came back on and the horn worked. Therefore, fuse #14 controls the interior lighting and the horn, and whatever else, but at least the horn and interior lighting for sure.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
155k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 01 Dec 2017, 10:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I didn't look at the instrument cluster, but I just went pulling one fuse at a time, starting with the 10amp fuses, and tested the horn after removing each fuse. When I pulled #14 I noticed the interior lighting went out, and the horn did not work. Put the fuse back in and the interior lighting came back on and the horn worked. Therefore, fuse #14 controls the interior lighting and the horn, and whatever else, but at least the horn and interior lighting for sure.
There is no fuse between the TIPM and the horn. What you are suggesting is that the fuse between the horn sense switch and the TIPM is blown along with the Instrument Cluster. How is it possible to blow that fuse if you are working under the hood.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 01 Dec 2017 at 10:18 am.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The circuit board on the TIPM is sensitive to any pressure being put on it and solder joints can go bad after a certain amount of time. I would suggest staying away from the TIPM unless you actually have a problem with anything that can be caused by the TIPM. I don't want you to have to replace your TIPM. They are very expensive.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 02:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey068 View Post
As ptcruisersteve said, the black wire on the horn is the ground. The wire runs up to the inner fender where it is screwed to the fender with 8 other ground wires. The easiest way to access this point is by removing the headlight as the cluster of grounds is behind the a/c lines.
I hooked up a multimeter to the horn connections, It displays 0.01 volts when toggled on, and 0 when off. Should I try to find the positive source or check the negative first?
Old 01 Dec 2017, 02:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
I hooked up a multimeter to the horn connections, It displays 0.01 volts when toggled on, and 0 when off. Should I try to find the positive source or check the negative first?
You should start with the troubleshooting steps that I posted from the manual in post #9.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 01 Dec 2017, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you don't have 12 volts going to the horn then as Rckstein suggested check fuse #14 in the TIPM. Anything is possible.

Does the interior lights work?
Old 01 Dec 2017, 06:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
Ok, so I'm assuming you checked for 12v across the 2 horn connections. Did you try putting the ground lead of the meter to a chassis ground and the positive lead to the positive connection for the horn?
Old 02 Dec 2017, 09:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
If you don't have 12 volts going to the horn then as Rckstein suggested check fuse #14 in the TIPM. Anything is possible.

Does the interior lights work?
Flawlessly
Old 09 Dec 2017, 08:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
There is no fuse or horn relay. The horn is controlled by the horn driver in the TIPM.

I would suggest checking to see if you have 12 volts going to the horn with a voltmeter. This will take you to the right direction in finding the problem. You might check the ground wire if you have 12 volts.
Steve,

I got this info from the Service Manager at the dealership that I deal with:

This pic shows and identifies each of the connectors on the back of the TIPM. It's also on page 8W-13-3 of the Service Manual:

In the Service Manual is the pin-outs for each connector. This is the pin-out chart for the C11 connector on the TIPM, on page 8W-80-88:

The C11 connector, going through the TIPM, pins 8 & 9 control the Horn Control Output.

The C11 connector is on the opposite end of the TIPM, from where fuse #14 is that I pulled that then the horn and interior lighting went out.

This is the back of the TIPM in my PT, the green connector on the right would be the C11:

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 09 Dec 2017 at 08:51 pm.