• 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2017, 08:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Cruise Control Woes

Evening!

In my '02 Limited, the cruise control won't work. I've had it a while now, the previous owner said it has been out since before they owned it too.

When I hit the on/off switch, the light comes on in the dash cluster, so I assume it has power and that the switch itself works, but when I hit set or anything else, nothing at all happens. No codes.

I heard it could be a bad vacuum line, so i pulled it off and I could hear the vacuum release, it has pressure (Or lack thereof). I suspect the actuator valve is broken. Ideas? Anyone know where I can get a new one at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

-John
Old 30 Nov 2017, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cruise Control Woes

There are a couple of used ones on Ebay:

This one has a MAKE OFFER, with free shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300M-Factory-OE-Cruise-Control-Servo-Assembly-with-Cable-Mount-ID-04669977-3B/232215306445?hash=item36111c60cd:gFAAAOSw9GhYhBA y&vxp=mtr

Offer them $30 they might take it.

Here's another used one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-05-PT-....c100010.m2109

Or there's new:

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Servo-S.../dp/B00WL5BZ7Y

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 30 Nov 2017, 09:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you!

How bad are these to install? I know it's right on the top. Does it require any messing around with the throttle body or anything like that?
Old 30 Nov 2017, 09:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You know....there is a plastic vacuum box about 8 inches from the horn under the plastic fender well...just sayin'

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Nov 2017, 09:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have a copy of the Service Manual for your PT?

If not, I can send you a PM with a link where to download a copy from.

You might want to do some troubleshooting before replacing any parts.
Gkon likes this.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 30 Nov 2017, 09:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have a Chilton's for my car, but I would greatly appreciate your pm with that link.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 10:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
I have a Chilton's for my car, but I would greatly appreciate your pm with that link.
PM sent with the links.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 01 Dec 2017, 09:22 am
Senior Cruiser

This solution worked to get SOOO BIG's Cruise Control up and running. I hope it works for you. Not notwithstanding all the good advise mentioned in the thread has to be copacetic and correctly functioning too.

Before you go out and spend unnecessary bucks on a new Cruise Control Unit, check the power plug that powers the unit. The Chrysler garage blew me off suggesting a new unit as did one other big box shop while checking SOOO BIG's malfunctioning Cruise Control. An easy and obvious fix! This was the case in both efforts because the shops were more concerned by bottom line, making the big dollar, time and procedural restrictions that kept me from a conversation with the actual mechanics. I had no contact with the mechanics doing the work nor did the shop write up agent have the foresight to ask me any questions other than what was the problem. I blame myself for not spotting this obvious resolve.

I finally took SOOO BIG to a recommended mechanic who's a hands on guy. He questioned me on the recent under hood history of SOOO BIG and I told him my timing belt had just been replaced. He went right to the Cruise Control Unit and with a little fiddling the Cruise Control was functional.

The resolve was simply that the mechanics who'd done the timing belt replacement removed the Cruise Control Unit for access failed to properly seat and properly lock the power plug in its seat in the unit. Their effort and primary focus was resolving the timing belt only, which they did. A quick run up the street proved SOOO BIG's Cruise Control was up and running again. When I asked him for my bill he responded a reasonable "No charge".

That timing belt replacement also left SOOO BIG's A/C dysfunctional even though it was recharged. The A/C had been disconnected for access. Another reliable, trusted A/C mechanic replaced the three dollar A/C seals at the disconnect points that had been overlooked in the timing belt work. He charged a reasonable thirty bucks for his time, three dollars each for the seals and the cost of the Freon for the recharge.

I trust these very good mechanics, as trusted shops, I rely on their integrity and reputation for fairness. They have the ability to ask the right questions. They do all my work on SOOO BIG I no longer can do.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_2087 (640x480).jpg

Look for the plug on the unit with the red lock tab.

IMG_2088 (640x480).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 09:28 am
Senior Cruiser

This solution worked to get SOOO BIG's Cruise Control up and running. I hope it works for you. Not notwithstanding all the good advise mentioned in the thread has to be copacetic and correctly functioning too.

Before you go out and spend unnecessary bucks on a new Cruise Control Unit, check the power plug that powers the unit. The Chrysler garage blew me off suggesting a new unit as did one other big box shop while checking SOOO BIG's malfunctioning Cruise Control. An easy and obvious fix! This was the case in both efforts because the shops were more concerned by bottom line, making the big dollar, time and procedural restrictions that kept me from a conversation with the actual mechanics. I had no contact with the mechanics doing the work nor did the shop write up agent have the foresight to ask me any questions other than what was the problem. I blame myself for not spotting this obvious resolve.

I finally took SOOO BIG to a recommended mechanic who's a hands on guy. He questioned me on the recent under hood history of SOOO BIG and I told him my timing belt had just been replaced. He went right to the Cruise Control Unit and with a little fiddling the Cruise Control was functional.

The resolve was simply that the mechanics who'd done the timing belt replacement removed the Cruise Control Unit for access failed to properly seat and properly lock the power plug in its seat in the unit. Their effort and primary focus was resolving the timing belt only, which they did. A quick run up the street proved SOOO BIG's Cruise Control was up and running again. When I asked him for my bill he responded a reasonable "No charge".

That timing belt replacement also left SOOO BIG's A/C dysfunctional even though it was recharged. The A/C had been disconnected for access. Another reliable, trusted A/C mechanic replaced the three dollar A/C seals at the disconnect points that had been overlooked in the timing belt work. He charged a reasonable thirty bucks for his time, three dollars each for the seals and the cost of the Freon for the recharge.

I trust these very good mechanics, and as trusted shops, I can rely on their integrity and reputation for fairness. They have the ability to ask the right questions. They do all my work on SOOO BIG I no longer can do.

Good luck, Happy PTin', ptprice

Attachment 26377

Look for the plug on the unit with the red lock tab.

Attachment 26378
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 03:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you all for the advice, hopefully it'll be a quick fix!