• 3 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 4 Post By ptprice
  • 2 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2017, 08:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Cool Restoring Our Aging Fleet

Good evening Cruisers!

I just recently joined, but for the longest time, I've been wondering how we will all keep our dream cars on the road as they tick on. Some are approaching 18 years old.

Will there ever be restoration parts companies for cruisers?

For instance, I know companies like NPD have huge catalogs, hundreds of pages long, that document every single part, inside and out, for cars like 60's Camaro's, Mustangs, Chevelle's, etc.

Will there ever be anything like this for our beloved PT's?

I for one am planning to keep my PT forever and I hope to someday do a full restoration, returning her to factory floor condition.

Stay cool,

-John
ptprice and Carnut like this.
Old 01 Dec 2017, 10:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Restoring Our Aging Fleet

Dunno, I plan on keeping mine till I kick the bucket, but then again I've always had antique and home built rides.

I'm sure there will always be salvage yard parts and New Old Stock parts available for PT's if you are willing to put in the time and effort to find them.

Most all the drivetrain parts are interchangeable with Neons and there were a lot of them built as well as PT's.

Think the hardest parts to find will be the electronics, sensors, pcm's and stuff. But I think with enough demand/money even those someone will work out a way to reproduce them or refurbish them.

And I personally feel that PT's will be 'collectable' at some point in the future just as much as old VW Beetles are now and there will be some 'dealers' around with hoards of NOS and used parts available.

I kinda went thru that with Model A Fords before there were any vendors in the business for supporting them.

Heh, heh, try and find replacement taillight lenses for a 61 Chrysler.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 02 Dec 2017, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Good evening Cruisers!

I just recently joined, but for the longest time, I've been wondering how we will all keep our dream cars on the road as they tick on. Some are approaching 18 years old.

Will there ever be restoration parts companies for cruisers?

For instance, I know companies like NPD have huge catalogs, hundreds of pages long, that document every single part, inside and out, for cars like 60's Camaro's, Mustangs, Chevelle's, etc.

Will there ever be anything like this for our beloved PT's?

I for one am planning to keep my PT forever and I hope to someday do a full restoration, returning her to factory floor condition.

Stay cool,

-John

PT Cruisers served a niche very similar to Ford Mustang II's and Pintos in the 1970's. Millions of these cars were made and they were very popular. But then car styles changed and they fell out of favor. Today, there are few "restoration" companies that concentrate on these popular Fords of yesterday. The PT Cruiser is likely destine for a similar fate. I anticipate the vast majority will eventually be crushed and that with be that.

However for now, there are plenty of parts and they are extremely numerous. Salvage yards are full of PT Cruisers. They may even be the most common single car type at many yards. Aftermarket accesories have gotten harder to come by. But there's always folks selling the specialty items off of a PT they are planning to sell. And OEM level parts are available from practically all sellers.

The magic of these cars right now is that they are super inexpensive and pretty cheap to maintain. They are also simply made. So once an owner learns the eccentricities of PT design, they become pretty easy to work on and maintain yourself.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Dec 2017 at 11:16 pm.
Old 03 Dec 2017, 10:58 am
Senior Cruiser

As of now the most reliable, prolific and reasonable priced source for PT Cruiser parts are the salvage yards. The long walks through the yards are great exercise.

If your determined to keep your Cruiser up and running you might want go the route I went with SOOO BIG a few years ago. He went through a complete parts off rebuild of the body. The whole nine week project was well less than $2000 and ended with satisfactory, lasting, as original results.

From that base line as a start, I've replaced or added on more things than I can remember as they've come up. Just to list a few that come to mind; A/C compressor, timing belt kit including new mounts, plugs and wires, replacement seats, back up camera and monitor, rotors and calipers, tires, red top Optima battery, vanity cover, replacement chrome grill, add on chrome belt line and tail lights just for the hell of it and the day to day incidentals that pop up.

SOOO BIG's no trailer queen. I drive him on a daily basis and he's not a garage king either. He's parked outdoors in my apartment complex lot. He's bravely faced every named hurricane that's hit Florida's east coast in the last couple of years. At times we've headed out to higher, safer ground as necessary, but he carried me there. I'm sold on PTs and SOOO BIG is, sum and total, a reliable, fun, economical car to drive.

Perhaps this is the thread started, dedicated to all those PT survivors. "Our Aging Fleet". Come on, show what you've done to your PT. They aren't getting older, they're just getting better!

I'm totally dependent on the PT Cruiser Forum and appreciative and grateful to all my PT friends for advise, ideas, suggestions and instructions as I need them. In some small way I hope I reciprocate as I gain PT knowledge.

PT Cruising is in my blood. I don't even anticipate replacing SOOO BIG. I hope to ride him into the sunset.

This is called Happy PTin', ptprice

SOO BIG's repair, front view.jpg

SOO BIG's repair, left side.jpg

SOOO BIG does't need suspenders anymore 006_reduced NEW (640x422).jpg

IMG_2028 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1621 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1622 (480x640).jpg

SOOO BIG does't need suspenders anymore 008 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2088 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1764 (480x640).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 03 Dec 2017 at 05:55 pm. Reason: Changed from is to are because of the plurals "yards" and "walks". There's probably a lot more grammer errors but I found th
Old 04 Dec 2017, 06:07 am
Cool Cruiser

I've got a first year, '01, Cruiser with ~135K miles on it. Had it since new. It's a daily driver, but my commute to work is relatively short. I like the car and keep it in good shape. No plans on retiring it.

Parts aren't a problem, and I don't see them as being a problem. Local parts stores carry whatever I need. The Internet will provide parts for the foreseeable future. As a side note, I looked up my first car (long gone), a '63 Corvair on RockAuto. They had a surprising selection of parts available for it. Junk yards will carry PT Cruisers as long as there's a market for the used parts, then you'll see PT Cruisers fade from the junk yards. On a funny note, the first place where parts will become unavailable is the dealers. Once a car is out of production and there's little profit in replacement parts, the replacement parts seem to become "unavailable".

Rust never sleeps. Living in a state that uses salt on the roads in the winter is rough on a daily driver. I try to give it a good check over twice a year and apply Fluid Film to keep the rust in check. Sometimes there's a little scraping needed (and I hate it when it gets that bad), but the Fluid Film seems to hold the rust at check or greatly slow it's progression.

My Cruiser is pretty much stock. I played around with some of the aesthetic stuff in the early years, but never any major changes. Now I'm satisfied at keeping it stock. I would like a radio that accepted a flash drive, but the CD player works. Maybe I'll replace the radio if the CD player goes belly up...
ptprice and Carnut like this.