Advertisements
Automatic or Stick Shift?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2017, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Automatic or Stick Shift?

We have been looking at used PT Cruisers, some have automatic transmissions and some are stick shift. Other than personal preference, does one stack up better than another? Maintenance issues, design flaws, costly repairs, etc.?
Thanks for any tips or suggestions.
Old 04 Dec 2017, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Automatic or Stick Shift?

What year of PT are you considering?

From what I have been able to find out, from the limited info available, my PT may follow into the group that could have the potential problem with the crank seal being pushed out and creating a massive oil leak, which results in the engine having to be replaced. It has to do with a design change in the main bearings.

It may be more of an issue in a manual vs. automatic?

I have not had any of those issues with my PT, and I would think that after almost 12 years of driving, and 151,000+ miles, that something would have shown up by now, if it was going to cause an issue.

But there have been reports on this forum, of it being an issue resulting in engine replacement.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 04 Dec 2017, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your quick response and heads up. Currently considering 2006 and up with hopefully lower miles.
Old 04 Dec 2017, 04:21 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

i don't know your driving style, but i would recommend driving both. the manual is MUCH peppier. i beat the absolute crap out of mine and it held up very well to my abuse. if you just plan to putz around town i'm not sure it matters. auto would be better for laziness in traffic
Old 04 Dec 2017, 04:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post

From what I have been able to find out, from the limited info available, my PT may follow into the group that could have the potential problem with the crank seal being pushed out and creating a massive oil leak, which results in the engine having to be replaced. It has to do with a design change in the main bearings.
to elaborate IIRC this is only a very few 2006-07 models. they used a crappy thrust bearing which could fall out of place causing excessive crankshaft end play. the odds of you getting one of the affected models would be VERY slim.
Old 04 Dec 2017, 05:27 pm
Young Cruiser

the Ultradrive 40TE transmissions can be a hit or a miss I have heard

but my experience:

My mom has had two cars with that transmission (2 dodge caravans) one got to 250,000KM the other 260,000KM and she replaced both due to transmission issues.

My PT is a 2006 and has had a transmission redone at 140,000KM (Don't know what was wrong with it, Was the previous owner who did this)

my personal experience with them though.
Old 04 Dec 2017, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

2005 Pt Cruiser with stick shift would be my choice if I had not already bought my 2007 & 2008 Pt Cruisers. The 2005 Pt Cruisers have the least amount of complaints.
Old 05 Dec 2017, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
to elaborate IIRC this is only a very few 2006-07 models. they used a crappy thrust bearing which could fall out of place causing excessive crankshaft end play. the odds of you getting one of the affected models would be VERY slim.
According to the Chrysler Case Number K93016699:

"Case Number K93016699
Vehicle Issue Crankshaft front seal pops out of the front cover.
Year 2005 | 2006 | 2007
Model JR - Sebring/Stratus Sedan | JR - Sebring Convertible | PT - Chrysler Cruiser | RS - Caravan, Voyager, Town and Country
Engine 2.4L 4 CYL DOHC 16V SMPI | 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V H.O. TURBO | 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V TURBO
System or Component Front Seal Area
Symptom Engine Oil Leak | Fluid / Lubricant Leak
Region Front
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Case Verification Crankshaft front seal had popped out. Replaced the seal, and the same condition occurred again.
Recommendation If the front crank seal is popped out of position, measure the crankshaft end play. If the end play is out of spec (acceptable range is .090mm-.240mm/.0035"-.0094"), perform the following procedure;
Remove engine from vehicle (follow procedure as outlined in the service manual).
Remove bedplate (follow procedure as outlined in the service manual).
Inspect the following components: Rod bearings, main bearings, #3 thrust bearing, and #3 bulkhead for scoring.
If rod bearings, main bearings, and/or bulkhead are scored, replace short block.
If rod and main bearings show no scoring, but #3 thrust surface is scored, go to next step.
Measure width of the #3 bulkhead in the engine block and bedplate (Specification is 23.56/23.51mm). If measurement falls outside the range of specifications, then replace the short block.
Inspect crankshaft thrust faces (front and rear). If scored and/or worn, replace crankshaft.
Inspect condition of thrust bearing. If scored and/or worn, replace all new engine bearings.
Inspect back side of the oil pump (look for contact condition between the crankshaft and oil pump) ? If contact is observed, install new oil pump, and a new front crankshaft seal.

Modification Date 11/13/07 1:19 PM"

I contacted Chrysler Customer Assistance on this particular Case Number for any info, this is their reply:

"Thank you for contacting the FCA Customer Assistance Center.

From the information available to us, your vehicle was built: October 4,
2005. I am not seeing any form of recall, extended warranty or a
compiling of affected VIN's. I apologize. I was able to review the case
you provided and there is nothing regarding this being a wide spread
issue, or a narrowing / compiling of VIN's.

Thank you again for your email. Should you require additional
assistance, or have any new information to provide, please reply to this
email message or call 1-800-247-9753.
Sincerely,

Tyler

Customer Service Representative
FCA Customer Assistance Center"

One would think that if Chrysler was able to identify the problem, that they would also be able to identify a certain batch of engines that were manufactured with the modified or certain thrust bearing.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
151k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 05 Dec 2017 at 07:30 am.
Old 05 Dec 2017, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I looked into this one pretty heavily. To my knowledge, this has never been reported on a turbo PT engine. It seems to be exclusive to the NA engines even though the turbo engines are listed in the bulletins.