Advertisements
Newly Purchased 2010 PT Cruiser

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2017, 01:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Newly Purchased 2010 PT Cruiser

Today i just purchased a 2010 Pt Cruiser from a small dealership. I live about an hour and a half away from where I bought it. The car is in really good shape for the most part and has about 148,000 miles on it. On the way home, I noticed that when I try to go above 60mph it has troubles shifting. It will make a noise like the engine is struggling. I have to release the gas and it will try to shift and eventually it will start to go faster. However this is extremely troubling to me, as my thoughts immediately go to the transmission being bad.

Basically what I want to know is, does it sound like the transmission is failing? Have I just been completely ripped off?
Old 06 Dec 2017, 01:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Newly Purchased 2010 PT Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Is the engine light on? It might be the camshaft sensor but it should trigger engine code.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 01:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I'm so happy this forum exists.

And no, no warning lights come on at all. The only light on the dashboard seems to be an airbag light.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 01:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If no engine trouble codes I would suggest you take it to a transmission shop that will check the Pt Cruiser for transmission codes for free. This will be the first step to determine if the transmission is causing the problem.

I would think about taking it back after you find out what the problem is to see if a deal can be worked out on the cost of the repair.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Dec 2017 at 01:58 am.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 07:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hububpuff View Post
Thanks! I'm so happy this forum exists.

And no, no warning lights come on at all. The only light on the dashboard seems to be an airbag light.
...and that airbag light should be checked out by someone who has an SRS scanner. It's not the same as the generic OBDII scanner. It might not be a difficult fix, but you don't want to mess around with sensors and harnesses that could potentially set off the airbags unless you know what you're doing.

This is a safety issue for the driver or passenger and should also be negotiated with the dealership.
ptprice likes this.

Tags
help me, issues, transmission, troubleshoot