Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starting issue...plz help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2017, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Starting issue...plz help

My car acts sounds it wants to start, but it won't turn over. I really can't afford to get it in the shop but I can't be without a car very long- I live 60mi from the nearest city for doc appts, groceries, etc. I don't know how to check for codes or anything. My husband tried spraying some starter fluid in it but that didn't do it. Does this sound like a hardware issue, a sensor, or something worse?

I know it's hard to make a diagnosis without seeing it, but I need to know approximately what I'm looking at and how much as both husband and I are disabled and depend on the car, and it takes us longer than most to save up for repairs.

Old 10 Dec 2017, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Starting issue...plz help

If your engine light is on and you don 't have an OBDII Scan Tool that is recommended to use for obtaining the codes on this forum you can temporarily do the key dance instructions from Crewzin that is listed below. This should only be used in emergency situations because you can't reset the codes.

Have paper and pen ready to write down the codes that the Instrument Cluster will display.

Post what you find out and we can give you a better idea of what the problem might be.

"QUOTE from Crewzin"

(This "trick" works on all models of cruisers.

1. Place the key into the ignition.

2. Turn the key towards the windshield (without starting the engine) and back again.

3. Do the above 3 times and with the last turn the key left pointing forward (towards the windshield).

4. All three turns should be made within 5 seconds. (it's not hard).

If you did it right, in the middle dial where the odometer is, the fault codes stored in the computer will come up. Example: P0138

If there's no codes stored in the computer, it should read "done".

That's it. Pretty easy.)

Post what codes you get.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Dec 2017 at 05:49 pm.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 11:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My Co-Worker has mentioned this and I have noticed it as well. Not sure where you are located but PT Cruisers seem to be a tad stubborn in cold enviroments. If you are constantly trying to get it to start you probably have drained the battery. If you have tools to check that I would go ahead and make sure its at least at 12.5 volts.

The post above explains how to check fault codes without any additional tools, Go ahead and give that a try.

If you could film a short video or even 10 seconds of audio we could help you rule out a couple things.

Good luck!
Old 11 Dec 2017, 05:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Where are you located? Perhaps another member lives close enough to come and help you check it out. I'm betting on a busted timing belt and that WON'T be a cheap repair. That's a worst case scenario. It could also be as simple as a busted ground connection or defective battery, as stated.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 05:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Where are you located? Perhaps another member lives close enough to come and help you check it out. I'm betting on a busted timing belt and that WON'T be a cheap repair. That's a worst case scenario. It could also be as simple as a busted ground connection or defective battery, as stated.
You know I'm not an expert, But I thought the timing belt generally snaps while the car is running. Post doesn't say it was running.

Could be a crankshaft positioning sensor.

OP if your located in SW Ontario, I am more than willing to help you out.