PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

 
Like Tree15Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Unhappy 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

I'm new here, so I hope this is the right forum for this topic.

I have a 2001 Limited edition PT, 5 speed manual transmission....Has a little over 150K miles.

I've had for 5 years, and have had very few issues with it.....I did have to have the radiator replaced 4 yrs ago due to it being in an accident.

However, about 4 months ago, I had to have the power steering pump replaced, and had a very difficult time finding someone willing to do the job....In the end, it cost me about 800.00 to get the job done by a mechanic.

Now, I am loosing coolant....My boyfriend replaced all the radiator hoses and it was still leaking.....He thinks it's the water pump leaking, because we placed a piece of cardboard under it overnight, and the leak was coming from about the location of the water pump.....He doubts it's the radiator, due to location of the leak.

I haven't brought it to my mechanic yet, but if it is the water pump, is this going to be another expensive repair?.....What is the average cost for something like this at a mechanic?....My BF said he will not even attempt it.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 11:12 am
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,344
Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

Yes, it's gonna cost, you might as well have the timing belt replaced because it's all has to come off anyway. Expect to pay $1200-1800.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 11:31 am
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Clearwater FL
Posts: 232
Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

Or get a new BF.
My02RedRide likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Yes, it's gonna cost, you might as well have the timing belt replaced because it's all has to come off anyway. Expect to pay $1200-1800.
The timing belt was just replaced, right before I bought it.....I have only put about 40k miles on it since then.....In that case, should I still have belt replaced?

Last edited by IrishChick19; 17 Dec 2017 at 11:46 am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTloser32805 View Post
Or get a new BF.
LOL.....He hates my PT because it's so difficult to work on....Still he tries to do what he can.....
He prefers vehicles from 80's or 90's because they're easier to work on at home.

Oh well.....**SIGH**
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 12:05 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,715
Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishChick19 View Post
LOL.....He hates my PT because it's so difficult to work on....Still he tries to do what he can.....
He prefers vehicles from 80's or 90's because they're easier to work on at home.
Oh well.....**SIGH**
I often hear this even from other mechanic's. The only thing that may be hard to work on a PT Cruiser is if you are of the larger size human being. From the technical stand point there is NOTHING unusual about a gasoline model PT cruiser and actually a PT Cruiser is not a higher technical vehicle to work on diagnostically speaking. In other words it is simplistic and needing very few but the most common DIY or "mechanic" tools to work on.
I am 6ft and 195lb (most of the time) and have no problem getting around any area of a PT Cruiser.

BTW cars of the 80's SUCKED to work on because of emission standards and the over abundances of what I thought was unnecessary parts to help reduce emissions. That and the change of fuel quality that destroyed many parts on those cars made them generally a PIA to do anything except throw parts at them and hope they would stay running a few more miles (not years) longer. The 90's were a little better but only after 1995 when OBDII came onto the scene made diagnostic work much easier with a one tool and a few minutes work to find most issues.
thecabinguy likes this.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I often hear this even from other mechanic's. The only thing that may be hard to work on a PT Cruiser is if you are of the larger size human being. From the technical stand point there is NOTHING unusual about a gasoline model PT cruiser and actually a PT Cruiser is not a higher technical vehicle to work on diagnostically speaking. In other words it is simplistic and needing very few but the most common DIY or "mechanic" tools to work on.
I am 6ft and 195lb (most of the time) and have no problem getting around any area of a PT Cruiser.

BTW cars of the 80's SUCKED to work on because of emission standards and the over abundances of what I thought was unnecessary parts to help reduce emissions. That and the change of fuel quality that destroyed many parts on those cars made them generally a PIA to do anything except throw parts at them and hope they would stay running a few more miles (not years) longer. The 90's were a little better but only after 1995 when OBDII came onto the scene made diagnostic work much easier with a one tool and a few minutes work to find most issues.
Appreciate your feedback on this......Actually my BF is not a big guy at 5' 7" and 160 lbs.....
I'm really not mechanically inclined myself, so I can't really understand and get into his opinions about cars....They are his views and not mine.

All I can say is he has a 1990 Jeep Comanche that he will work on himself, and it has nearly 300k miles and still going strong.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but would it require the use of a lift to replace the water pump on my PT?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 12:31 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,715
Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishChick19 View Post
would it require the use of a lift to replace the water pump on my PT?
no...
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 12:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
no...
Thanks so much!!.....I have a cousin who might be willing to do it, but he doesn't have access to a lift.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2017, 01:30 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,344
Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser--bad water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishChick19 View Post
The timing belt was just replaced, right before I bought it.....I have only put about 40k miles on it since then.....In that case, should I still have belt replaced?
That's up to you, they are in the same location....myself, I would do it again.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 Water Pump - O-Ring Won't Seal tdf Tech & Performance Forum 4 22 Jan 2014 12:44 am
2.4L 2001 - Replacing Water Pump timbogates Tech & Performance Forum 14 24 Apr 2013 02:55 am
gt cruiser water pump relpacement stault General PT Cruiser Discussions 15 29 Jun 2012 05:35 pm
2001 PT overheating! Is it the water pump? fduffy28 Tech & Performance Forum 14 03 Apr 2011 10:53 am
Considering buying 2001 cruiser for $400 but needs a water pump, need advice! jodyhh General PT Cruiser Discussions 25 18 Jan 2011 12:15 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors